Personal View site logo
Sony FDR-AX100, 4K camcorder for the masses
  • Specs:

• 1" 20Mp BSI CMOS sensor
    • Full sensor readout like RX10
    • 14.2M pixels used in video
    • Built-in ND filters (3 steps - 1/4, 1/16 and 1/64 ND)
    • 12x F2.8-F4.5 zoom, 29-348mm
    • 4k24p and 4k30p with XAVC S encoding.
    • Video modes : XAVC-S 4K : 3840×2160/30P, 24P; XAVC-S HD : 1920×1080/60P, 30P, 24P;AVCHD:1920×1080/60p(PS),24p(FX,FH),60i(FX,FH), 1440×1080/60i(HQ,LP); MP4: 1280×720 30p
    • 120FPS slo-mo
    • OLED EVF
    • Wi-Fi
    • price below $2000
    • Available in March

Preorders:

• 163 Replies sorted by
  • Almost there! 1" sensor, Sonys excellent stabilization, ND filters and good enough manual controls. But why, oh why do they always mess up the zoom range? We need a decent 24-120mm with a constant f2.0 aperture instead of this bloated super zoom crap.

• But why, oh why do they always mess up the zoom range? We need a decent 24-120mm with a constant f2.0 aperture instead of this bloated super zoom crap.

It is not super zoom by today standards. Just 12x zoom. People won't buy camcorder with smaller one, really.

And F2.0 zoom for 1" sensor will make it much much larger.

Also important to note that they have exact same camera with removed 4K modes for $1500 - CX900.

xa45.jpg
    603 x 418 - 40K
  • I just wish it would start wider. 29mm is so 90's camcorder ;-) But let's see at NAB! Maybe the Pro division has something cooking?

• If the sensor is the same size as the one in the RX10 then the zoom range translates to 25-300mm not 29-348mm. And I can't find where Sony states that the aperture is a variable one. The specs in front of the len says 2.8/9.3-111.6 not 2.8-4.5/9.3-111.6.

• http://www.sony.net/Products/di/en-us/products/j4it/index.html?contentsTop=1

Unfortunately, Sonys own site says f2.8-4.5 and a wide angle of 29mm (could be due to image stabilization crop)

• Sample footage. I'm unfortunately only on my phone right now. How does it look?

• @oscillian SHARP. Dynamic range is also very good for a handycam (as you'd expect with the RX100mII sensor).

• @oscillian

Unfortunately, Sonys own site says f2.8-4.5 and a wide angle of 29mm (could be due to image stabilization crop)

It says that video is only from a 14mp window of the 20mp sensor .

• @kurth Yep, in 4:3 photo mode it's 25mm wide and then it crops the sensor to 16:9 for video and thus becomes a 29mm.

• You know why it's not so wide....so they can sell you a pricey wide angle adapter, just like camcorders of old...

• 4k 60 Mbit/s?! Interesting..

• This looks like this will be the new standard for Prosumer Camcorders, and I'm sure Canon will match it shortly with an upgrade to their lineup. Nice buy-in price will hopefully put pressure on the the new Panny 4K. Kudos to Sony for bringing 4K online at a decent price.

• @kurth

Btw. Cinema5D made one of worst and most inaccurate materials about this camera.

• @Vitaliy

You mean his statement that you couldn't achieve shallow dof ? Or was there another more stupid blunder ?

• I thought the Bokeh on the cam was really good. DOF was fine. The question is chunks o' grain in LL.....but I suppose you could then say that the grain is your friend, or maybe "chunkier than Bolex--but with Zeiss."

• You mean his statement that you couldn't achieve shallow dof ? Or was there another more stupid blunder ?

Whole article is quite inaccurate, including lens parameters, statements of small sensor for hand camcorder, etc.

• Sony Specs page: (note "golf shot" and "My Voice Canceling"; lens tops out at F4.5) http://store.sony.com/4k-camcorder-with-1-sensor-zid27-FDRAX100/B/cat-27-catid-All-Handycam-Camcorders

That's a pretty slow lens for a small sensor.....

• @DrDave

I think it is better than all Panasonic consumer camcorder lenses, if you will take in account sensor size.

I think their goal here was to make sharp, small and affordable lens. And main thing it using four focus motors instead of complex mech aligning and assembly.

• I have a question. Wouldn't this camera be swell at a 2:39:1 crop ? At full horizontal resolution, that would give you over 1600 lines of vertical res. Seems alot more useful than 16:9 4k to me. I'll add that to the first firmware request post. I just wish sony had stolen the rx10 lens straight off the camera !

• I just wish sony had stolen the rx10 lens straight off the camera !

As far as I remember RX10 lens had some troubles with zoom speed and noise.

• As far as I remember RX10 lens had some troubles with zoom speed and noise.

Yea...it would obviously have needed rehousing. But the straight thru 2.8 ?

• @kurth

It is life, you can't get all you want.

Here you have good sensor, very good form factor, good EVF, good encoder, even NDs.

Lens must be real fast at focus. Yep, slow at far end, but it is life.