Personal View site logo
Want to buy new fancy camera soon? Look at your nearest future!
  • 37 Replies sorted by
  • really ?? ...study the weimar republic. That's close to home. History always repeats itself, with certain surprises.

• You can't get any more fundamental than currency.

In this case you have very strange views, and not very deep history knowledge.

• You can't get any more fundamental than currency.

• I think it's a real possibility in the next decade that many non-utilitarian industries will simply be forced out. At some point consumerism with smaller benefits in increased quality will meet the reality of reduced incomes i.e with uhd and 4k. Both Europe and America are headed for economic armageddon . Their currencies have no real value. When Germany asked for the US to return it's gold , the US declined. That's been reason enough for war in the past.

Problems are fundamental, not currency based only.

• I think it's a real possibility in the next decade that many non-utilitarian industries will simply be forced out. At some point consumerism with smaller benefits in increased quality will meet the reality of reduced incomes i.e with uhd and 4k. The masses will either keep what they have, buy very reduced older models, or bow out entirely of technological consumerism. Then the companies will begin shutting down.

Both Europe and America are headed for economic armageddon . Their currencies have no real value. When Germany asked for the US to return it's gold , the US declined. That's been reason enough for war in the past.

We're at a turning point. You can now have unbelievable quality for little money, if you wait for product replacements. I'd love to see a graph of new adopters decline over the last decade. I imagine it's a drastic fall.

I know personally I wait to buy, and then wait some more. I just bought the g6 when it dropped. The only reason I didn't wait more is my gh1 is hobbled. As well there's no money to be made, at least as a photographer. Every tom and dick who owns a digital camera can call himself a photographer. The gallery where I show, which is world-class, won't even bother with traditional photography. I imagine cinematography is worse....and I refuse to do weddings and have whining clients !

So one day , soon or near soon, don't be surprised when big manufacturers begin offering less, and then none. I expect sony, olympus and panasonic to drop first. Last one in....first one out !

• If you have the cash, buy your gear now while you still have money. Don't wait.

Problem here is that gear price won't jump. If you look all the actual charts you'll see that all last years food, energy and basic goods prices are rising rapidly across the world. While prices of fancy cameras are dropping (if you include inflation), actually. I am not even touching how big is drop after next year model comes. In such a way it is wiser to collect your savings, not spend.

Service, and especially advertisement, wedding and other industry will be the most affected soon (check Greece and Spain). So most of investments you will be doing will never return. Competition will be so fierce so it'll be hard even get enough to live, no talking to get new stuff.

Someone will come and take your money away: the wife, the government, whoever.

May be your wife is more smart than you? :-)

• an alternate viewpoint. If you have the cash, buy your gear now while you still have money. Don't wait. Someone will come and take your money away: the wife, the government, whoever.

That's what I did and I have 0 future hope of getting any position of consequence, Just assuming you'll have money later never seems to work out.

You need a camera to film the world burn.

• That happens when you push up the standard artificially and still you've got the eastern europe syndrome of stealing EU funds on all levels...

What you think that something is artificial? You can go back in this blog and check that even if such assumption from your side is true it just means that Japan, US and many other countries are much more artificial, as you defined it.

• That happens when you push up the standard artificially and still you've got the eastern europe syndrome of stealing EU funds on all levels... On top of that the greeks want to retire with 54 years... It is not all politics, ... Greeks get three times the salary one gets in Bulgaria, still the prices are equal. And really don't get that about the 'cold' there - it is 14C in Athens at the moment...

• This shit is real. Time passes and Greece is becoming a benchmark for future problems.

almost 10% of households with no power, shit put that amount on other developed country like Germany and you have a real deep problem.

Why cant they produce money for own electricity. Why does government has money to give them electricity but not jobs. I kind of understand the complexity of this fucked system, but holisticaly speaking, the machine still works, so... are they (NATO) making athens fall on intention, just for sheer strategy or athens really is that stupid, or are so deep on game that they have now nothig to gamble on?

• yep...it's a giant house of cards. At least most artist can go back to painting ! And then when the paint manufacturers collapse, we can draw with charcoal sticks made in our cave fires.

• Smog has turned into a nightmare for the citizens of Athens, Greece after more smog accumulated again this past Thursday, when many people were attempting to heat their homes using their fireplaces.

Economic distress and the high heating oil prices have forced thousands of families to burn wood in order to heat their homes.