Personal View site logo
DaVinci Resolve 10
  • 177 Replies sorted by
  • @Flaaandeeers Thanks mate -- exactly what I was looking for. Why don't BlackMagic make this easier?

• Maybe they want to make the footage look nicer from the start for unexperienced users.

• I made a little test for Davinci's new optical flow, bringing it to extreme conditions:

• in the right hands resolve 10 just embarrasses all other color correction programs.

• Does the Optical Flow replace Twixtor and how well does it work with 24P?

• @chauncy Interesting - I'm not too familiar with Resolve. How do you feel it works better than After Effects and Speedgrade. I'm curious because I'm about to start editing a feature and would welcome any advice on benefits of going with Resolve vs Speedgrade. Thanks in advance.

• @matt_gh2 it would literally take an essay to explain the amazing features and benefits of using Resolve. Instead, I recommend you download the free lite version, give it a serious week of invested time in overcoming any learning curves, watch as many tutorials as you can in that week... you may NEVER go back to speedgrade. It really is THAT far ahead of the competition. But like chauncy said "in the right hands", a week really isn't enough time to get great in Resolve, but it can be enough to get you oriented and on the right track, but most importantly it will show you how much more it has to offer.

• @Jumo Would you say Resolve is quicker...or actually yields better looking footage?

• resolve has a somewhat steep learning curve. What's with the nodes, so many controls... but it's easier to get into than afterfx, probably harder than premeire.

In version 10, with improved editing, optical flow slow motion, noise reduction(in full version) and the ability to use ofx plugins, it's intuitive, it's fast, it's consistent. The fact that, in most situations, you can view your changes right away, often played back at near to or full speed, saves a ridiculous amount of time. The rendering engine is fast as well, so you run your rendered clip faster.

Optical flow seems easier than Twixtor Pro. But I haven't done enough to say for sure. The best results with twixtor pro are a pain in the ass to get right. But I can say for sure, with a few trial and errors, it's better than anything except Twixtor.

But, as a whole, you have to have a clear understanding of where you are trying to go with your film in resolve. You have to learn what to do in each node, a little planning. Ripple has basic training. Color Grading Central is the best I've found. He has free tutorials as well as a paid membership. Shian has been incredibly helpful. All his stuff works in Resolve.

The manual you can download for free from blackmagic is actually astonishingly good, as are the demo clips(although still for version9, still applicable to help get into it)

• @chauncy Thanks for sharing your experience. The optical flow demos looked pretty nice to me.

• @matt_gh2 in my experience, both. That said, I think it all really depends on who will be doing the job. If the person doing the job can't wrap their head about Resolve and the node structure and it ends up slowing them down, it may not be the right tool for that job, but if you could pit a great SpeedGrade master vs a great Resolve master, I'd put my money on Resolve in pretty much every category, but that's just my opinion, you'll have to come to your own!

• Cool. Time for trial compare and contrast. Thanks all.

• The current implementation of Speedgrade integration into Premiere is slow as molasses. I'd vote for Resolve too.

• @nomad Do you mean Speedgrade CC works slow in general now...or do you mean the round-tripping from Premiere to Speedgrade and back to Premiere is slow?

• I have had Resolve installed for about a year and got a dongle with my BMCC in mid september.
    I have glanced / played, that was all.

Decided to use for a project - loaded up V9 which I had installed and on a MacBook Pro Retina, I got realtime playtime (ProRes HQ) with audio with two nodes.

Decided to try R10 ... nice features ... unfortunately I have lost realtime playback. For now I will go back to R9, until I can get a PowerMac.

• Speedgrade's round-tripping is a major PITA, not SG as a standalone.

• I've updated Adobe CC version of SG to 7.1 which now includes direct link from PP. It's very fast.

I spent the weekend with Resolve and I'm struggling to be honest. I'm cool with the node architecture and the use of LUTs, but I'm finding that it's destroying some of my ProRes footage by default, that when imported into PP or SG is perfectly fine. I've probably got something set wrong to do with interpretation, but I'm not digging it yet.

Add the direct link from PP to SG and the superb debayer from ACR and I'm thinking it's going to take a big eureka moment to get me over to Resolve - I will however persevere for a while longer :)

• New update since today. What's new in DaVinci Resolve 10.0.1:

• Conform Timeline Framerate selection is moved in Project Settings to make it more prominent
    • Color page loop/mark in-out indicator is more prominent
    • Split Screen current clip indicator is more prominent now
    • Keyboard shortcut for Bypass All Grades is now changed to Shift + D
    • New feature to add a flag from the menu (Shift + M hotkey)
    • Improvements to minimize noise when using Hue curves
    • Remote grading now supports timeline and offline wipe modes
    • Added an option to name the composition for easyDCP renders
    • Removed the warning shown when rendering to a non-empty folder
    • Optimized the number of client connections to the Postgres server
    • FCP7 XML improvements for exporting Venetian blinds, Clock Wipe and Edge color
    • Preferences option to select OpenCL or CUDA processing mode
    • General performance and stability improvements
  • For the Premiere CC users - are you finding Resolve 10 to have a much smoother round trip experience vs the older versions? I love Resolve but never enjoyed the process of rendering ProRes from Premiere and then using scene detect to color with Resolve and then importing back to Premiere for titles, transitions and sound. I also tried the Speedgrade CC route and I experienced and read that there is some performance issue with it so that seems a no-go as well.

• I've been using Premiere and Resolve together for a while, but my workflow is to send Proxies to Premiere and do final online in Resolve and conform via XML. Definitely much improved titles/transitions etc but i tend to use Pro Tools or Reaper for any real audio mix (my original background is in song/music production) so haven't really pushed Resolve or even Premiere there for anything but the basics.

Unfortunately there seems to be a bug in Premiere CC right now where it's not exporting reelnames in it's XML's, the resolve team (actually Rohit) figured this out after i reported an issue during the beta cycle of 10.0.1 before it was just released recently.

• Anyone else find current release of Resolve 10 more demanding on computer resources than the 9 (or the beta 10)?