Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
DaVinci Resolve 10
  • 177 Replies sorted by
  • it depends what you're doing, NR, Optical Flow, tracking, will bog down any computer. Coloring seems about the same in terms of demand to me. You can always use proxies. But 10 is probably more demanding with certain operations on full res.

• I'm getting an error message saying my hardware does not support OpenCL with Resolve 10.0.2. I'm working on Windows 8 with a CUDA card.

Turns out I had to turn off my onboard grahics on the MB, but VIRTU disabled itself. Don't think I had this happen with Resolve version 9.

• yeah that one got me too. Blackmagic support told me to disable on board graphics to fix it,

• Hey guys, I just won a full copy of Resolve 10 from Philip Blooms movember giveaway. I'm somewhat familiar with the Lite version. My question to all of you fine folks is if the full version is that much better. I know it gives you NR and 3d, but I have no plans on using 3D. Is the NR that good that it is worth keeping? If there were still the resolution limitations, I would have more reason to keep it but im unsure at this point. Any recommendations are welcome.

Ps maybe I can sweet talk BMD to give me a pocket camera instead since they have the same retail value lol

• It Works in Resolve 10 Lite too, you can also use EXR files. From photoshop you'll have to rename ".cin" (cineon) files to ".dpx" Tested with AE, LR and PS exports. Now the circle is complete .-)

As complementary info, Moving Looks from Resolve to SpeedGrade

• New version is out, it includes rich text title support, a take selector to preview and align multiple takes and support for FCPX v10.1 XML 1.3. There are many more features detailed in the read me.

For full software license customers this release also includes stereoscopic 3D support with media pool syncing of the eyes and also stereoscopic 3D editing.

DaVinci Resolve Lite 10.1 for Mac and Windows is also available for download at the BMD web support site.

As a database upgrade is required for this release please backup your database or active projects prior to upgrading.

http://software.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/Lite/DaVinci_Resolve_Lite_10.1_Windows.zip http://software.blackmagicdesign.com/DaVinciResolve/Lite/DaVinci_Resolve_Lite_10.1_Mac.zip

There is also new DaVinci Resolve 10 In-Depth From Ripple Training available. I bought the Core Training in December and I got this for free.

http://vanhurkman.com/wordpress/?p=2885

• Whats the best/easiest way to make a proxy from a GH3 file and use it for editing to speed up the playback when grading? Will it automatically link back to the original for export?

• All I'm going to say is that Davinci Resolve 10.1 update turns resolve into a full fledge NLE and may well compete with some of your favorite NLE's.. gave it a run and I was amazed almost all my basic editing functions from Premiere I was able to do in Resolve, are you kidding me right now BlackMagic Design is giving this software out for FREE.. Let me know your thoughts about the new update.

• I just finished a theater piece with it and found out while working that I can stay inside Resolve all of the time for just editing and grading. Only for file formats that Resolve doesn't like or for heavy effects I still turn to Adobe products…

• Hmm..for some reason I can't import custom LUTs with the new macbook pro running mavericks, it runs fine on my old macbook running snow leopard. Anyone having the same problem?

• @nomad I do a lot of editing in a fast paced broadcast environment and while I love the Resolve 10 editing tools, the whole editing workflow is not quite as slick as a dedicated editor. Also if you make editorial changes to an imported timeline (xml, aaf, edl) the round trip no longer works and one must do a bit more work to bring the timeline back into the editing application. I'm certain things will continue to improve though as Blackmagic have a history of implementing things customers want. Resolve for free is pretty amazing really!

• Sure, it's not up to a real editing program (yet?), I was just surprised how much I could do already staying in one environment.

• Can anyone tell me why am I getting obvious color shift when my ProRes 709 footage gets imported into Resolve via Premiere 5.5 XML? I'm on Windows 7 if that matters.

I didn't compare any graphs or scopes, but the difference is obvious. I have a footage with a lot of blue (sky/sea) and it looks "flat" in Premiere and when I preview it on Media Player Classic, but when I import the XML into Resolve I can clearly see the saturated colors...

• again sounds like a rec709 vs unscaled color issue. 6-235 vs 0-255 You'll have to check color management and export settings.

• how does work denoise in Resolve compared to neat video? If you subtract the price of the nv license from the BMCC it might be interesting to go for a camera incl full version of resolve

• @Riker it's on computer or via I/O video monitor? Resolve hat no computer color management and you need I/O hardware for reliable preview

• @peaceonearth it's on computer, Windows...I just exported the ProRes footage from Resolve to H264 and the result is almost identical to original MTS.

So why does the footage preview in Resolve look...different?

@chauncy I can't find any color management tab in Premiere or Resolve where I can switch between 0-255 and 16-235...where do I check those?

My Resolve settings in Resolve are video format HD 1080PsF 23,976, color science Davinci YRGB, video bit depth 10 bit, video connection YUV 4:2:2 SDI

• well.. if you want to work with resolve I can highly recommend doing a tutorial (lynda, ripple, colorgradingcentral). Resolve has NO access to the profiles of your graphic board so the preview ist totally different from your computer. As I wrote for serious preview I/O monitoring is mandatory. There is no CM tab as there is no color management.

You can check your file range settings by right click a file in the media pool "Clip attributes" . Also in render settings "Auto / full range / normally scaled video" There are a lot of of stumbling blocks on the way to proper color grading!

video connection YUV 4:2:2 SDI

you don't have a video connection via a SDI as you dont have blackmagic (or similiar) monitoring hardware.

• The Resolve manual has information to help setup a computer screen for accurate colour for preview. It's interesting that Windows exhibits this behaviour because I get very accurate colour on an iMac screen. Macs have screen calibration software built in to the operating system. The ProRes codec was developed by Apple which may explain why it does not show the effect you are describing when on a Mac system. If you open a ProRes clip in Quicktime Pro there is a gamma option that allows gamma control when exporting. The gamma of ProRes clips has been an issue for many people. Do a Google search on the topic and see if anyone has a solution for Windows systems.

• For cheap I/O you can consider a BM Mini Monitor if your machine has Thunderbolt, it connects both to HDMI and SDI out.

• @caveport I'd be curious where I can find it in the Resolve manual or how you manage for an accurate preview in Resolve on an iMac. Thanks in advance.

• I did a quick test in Premiere to try and figure out what is happening with the levels. I get the same effect like the bottom picture when I import ProRes to Resolve, even via XML.

005.png
    1300 x 851 - 936K
  • When I export MTS to DNxHD I can't open it in Resolve.

Also, I miss the ProRes here...why

Clipboard01.jpg
    258 x 933 - 99K
  • @Riker From the info you have posted it looks like your second image is mapping video levels 16-235 to 0-255. You have a levels control showing exactly that. Visually it will crush the black a bit and clip the highlights a bit creating an image with more contrast. ProRes is natively 0-255. Avid codecs can be both but Avid generally work internally at 16-255. I'm not sure about Adobe Premiere. GH2 footage is 0-255. Resolve also works at 0-255. If you can post DETAILED step by step info about your workflow, especially the conversion to ProRes I may be able to assist. My guess is that your conversion to ProRes is mapping 0-255 to 16-235.