Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Dng bmpcc not works in the premiere CC... :(

• Use after effect cc is working nice, i also have the same problem whit Adobe cc

• Might have to rethink my workflow.. Didn't think I would see such a vast difference in quality between pro res and raw on the pocket.. Shame I can't get resolve to run on my mac.. I need apple to start supporting dng files or find me a dng-prores convertor..

• You may be able to use the app that the 5D RAW people are using. Not sure, though.

And yes, there is a pretty vast difference, been tryin' to warn people about this... it's not the same on the 2.5K, ProRes and RAW are decently close.

On the Pocket, it's been night and day in my experience.

• With Lightroom and Capture One 7 no problem.. DrasticPreview 4 Player not works

• @kholi

Funny, so I looked at the clips without knowing what was what and here's my results.

1. Liked the most for motion.
    2. Liked the least
    3. Liked most overall.

I guess that settles it damnit!

• @Kholi

Thanks for the tests. Some thoughts:

1. 2.5k still looks the sharpest.

2. Choice between Pocket and 2.5k would depend on application and final playback. Wonder if there is a diff when images are magnified 400%.

3. If things seem marginally different, apart from Avid codec, what differentiates pocket from 2.5k? The $1000 difference is for Resolve 10?

4. Update 1.5 is inevitable development cos of the speed at which competitors are moving. Also, on the side, Magic lantern has turned MK3 into a monster. Alot of pp in Singapore were selling their Pocket at one point. Brand new sets, hardly a week old, so they could go back to 5D

• @kazuo

Good thoughts... let me see..

1. Should be, larger sensor, lens was actually stopped down versus the Kipon adapter being stopped down (not the same as stopping the lens down), and of course 2.5K resolution. If one were looking for the sharpest image however, 2.5K wins.

2. Less of a difference when magnified, always that for any format. Just about everything looks good projected, but for some reason the more inexperienced filmmakers (no offense intended at all, no other way to say it?) seem to think the opposite? Only way you're going to see it is projecting 4K, then you'll spot it.

3. SSD port, Larger Sensor, HD-SDI, Thunderbolt, Ultrascope, Resolve, 2.5K. I'd say that's a pretty fair jump for one grand no?

4. I guarantee you it had nothing to do with the 5D. We were already testing the RAW update a while ago. Announcements happen much later.

People are returning because: they can't handle the raw workflow/LOG workflow (prime reason, just want colored footage, ProRes looked soft anyway), sensor size (some can't get over it, preference rules the day and it should), unexpected costs to make the camera work (rigging etc.), have an existing lens set that doesn't play nice (Canons).

Kinda neat note, you could shoot RAW now, do absolutely nothing to the color and export that to ProRes, and have a better image than if you shot REC709 ProRes. =P

I'm probably going to see about getting another Pocket and using those until the 4K drops, use 2.5K with mosaic filter for beauty, establishing shots (wides etc.), safety.

Can't put my finger on it entirely, the Pocket Camera is the image I like the most right now.

• Just wanted to mention, and this really goes for whatever camera system you might be using, but if you guys haven't looked at your footage played back in 1080p on an HDTV in a while... you are in for a (hopefully) very pleasant surprise.

I've been pixel-peeping a lot this year, with the ML RAW hack, RAW on the BMCC, prores on the BMPCC, then RAW. Playing around with all the different options that exist for us in acquisition and post now, really obsessing over image quality. But along the way, I got so nit-picky about it (and watching on a 2560x1440 screen of course makes matters worse).

I loaded up some RAW BMPCC footage I shot earlier today along with prores and ML RAW stuff from earlier this year, watched it through PS3 Media Server on my 40" Samsung, and man! It gets repeated over and over, but we are really there in terms of image quality from these cameras now. All the stuff that bugs me on a monitor just gets smoothed out while at the same time somehow appearing more detailed and subtle on a nice TV.

Try it out if you haven't done so in a while :D

• @Kholi

I agree with much of what you said.

1. Smaller sensor = less moire? Makes BMPCC alot more attractive at this point.

2. Rec 709 pro res acquired on 2.5k is surprisingly very sharp. For web, even TV, it looks indistinguishable from RAW after grading. Of course, certain conditions apply, such as standard production values, ie good lighting.

3. Time to get my metabones SB to complete my workflow. Then again, maybe I should add a pocket to the arsenal

• @kazuo

1. Smaller sensor, less moire, but also a different kind of moire. Point the two at the same scene, the 2.5K moire/aliasing signature isn't the same as the Pocket... I'm pretty positive that this is also why the 2.5K sometimes looks "video"-ish with handheld motion. As much as I have shot handheld with the Pocket (and strangely enough I'm a LOT steadier with a Pocket Rig than the 2.5K...), it does not look the same.

2. Indeed. I actually hope the new developments of the Pocket get transported over to the 2.5K when compressed RAW is dropped. Color's slightly more pleasing right out of the box on the pocket, additionally (as mentioned) the RAW stills are also more pleasing to simply kick out.

Until compressed RAW drops, I'll likely shoot ProRes on the 2.5K... but I will always shoot RAW on Pocket, it's too good.

1. Pocket VS. SB... Pocket =P But, then, SB. This gig finally came through, got a list of things I need to waste my money on, SB's one of them.

Aside: I've also been testing a complete set of Hoya ProNDs... camera's image/color feels brand-ass-new in comparison to the Tiffen set.

• @kholi

Are the Hoyas expensive? I am using Century Optics, and they cost me a bomb. Was looking at the Schneider Digicon filters, if you are familiar with them. These filters are designed to increase dynamic range, by raising black levels and lowering highlights. Have been looking at them since GH2 days, but now with 13 stops, I am really interested to find out if these will make some more difference. Then, add SB to the mix. Something to waste my money on

• Morning all

Playing around with RAW last night on my BMPCC. My 12 month old mac doesn't support Resolve so am having to find a better way of working with RAW.

From looking online the best way seems to be to import the dng files into Lightroom (I don't own premier or After Affects), do a simple correction if required then export the dng's as tiffs.

I then export the tiffs into FCP x, change the file duration and compile each set of frames and that's it done!

My question is if I were to import the tiffs ungraded into say compressor as an image sequence, then export that sequence to a prores file, import that prores file into fcp x....would I:

1. Lose any major quality along the way?
  • @kholi

Need your/other PV members advice/thoughts on BMPCC. My local dealer finally got it for me. But I still haven't decided - let it go or not, because I wasn't ready for the "new" workflow with RAW (I'm a GH2 user). I do realize I need a lot of additional stuff to shoot with BMPCC. Unfortunately, I don't have some extra cash for good lenses and I only own Panasonic lenses (12-35 and an old 14-140). So my question to you refers to these both Pana lenses.

Will these lenses be a good choice for BMPCC (in terms of focus-by-wire, image quality, sharpness, distortion, usability). By the way, I always shoot using manual focus with these lenses. I hate auto focus.

• @MikhailK: If you are already used to shooting with those lenses in a manual focus "mode" I think you will be fine with the pocket, I still plan on using my GH2, but only for stills.

Give some thought to some of the old Nikon glass, you can get some very nice lenses at exceptionally cheap prices, and believe it or not those old Zeiss Hasselblad lenses are a bit of a bargain for the longer end of the scale.

As long as you don't need a sport/party/sunset/pet cat mode to shot your stuff then IMHO you will fall in love with this camera. GH Who??

Andy.

• @kholi so in theory I could import my dngs into compressor.. Export out as prores and then import the prores into fcp x? Would I see a loss in quality and would the footage still be as gradable?

• @DocoDocoMan Thanks for the advice on Nikon glass.

• had a little fun shooting in RAW today. considering the night clips were heavily underexposed, it actually turned out really well in the end!

• I am glad the author of the above video had fun. That's great. But it is yet another video that scare off many experienced videographers - the colors are downright terrible: tinted bluish or greenish and very dull. Maybe that is the author's taste in video (that's fine), but so many BMPC videos look like this one wonders if any good-looking video can be made from the camera by other than Hollywood editing pros. If a standard consumer camcorder yielded these videos, people would complain. High dynamic range (hurrah) is actually less visible than poor color to all but dr fetishists.

• The truth is : if you want to see what a cam can do, buy/rent it and don't waste your time watching/bashing others attempts... seriously, what a joke.

• I am a little tired of nobody using a tripod with this camera. I'll say that or at least some sort of stabilization. That's why I'm not posting any of my "test" footage. Anything I've shot with this camera so far that's stabilized correctly can't be posted yet. Hopefully some of it will be released this year :) I am going out to the Mojave Desert today and bringing a rig and real tripod. I'll have some great footage then.

• "The truth is : if you want to see what a cam can do, buy/rent it and don't waste your time watching/bashing others attempts... seriously, what a joke."

Thanks for the "truth" - don't watch any videos. I'll keep that in mind. I guess that also means don't post any videos, so people don't waste their time watching them. That is a joke...

• It's been talked about to death but the main problem is everyone coming over from a point and shoot camera mentality to this camera. (I pretty much consider DSLRs this now after all the post with BM cameras) It's not that. Period. I keep hearing people ask how they can get better footage right out of the camera. Hate to break it to you guys....you bought the wrong camera. I've already seen a few people get angry at BM, sell off their pocket stuff and go back to a DSLR. Nothing wrong with that but what it boiled down to, even though they made up other excuses, was they couldn't handle the workflow or any real post work. These cameras need stabilization and patients....lots of patients!!! I'm sure we'll continue to see Micheal J Fox cam footage for a long time to come and shitty Film Convert grades but if we all just take a step back and figure this little fucker out, it'll be alright :)

But yeah, at least put it on a monopod!! ;)

• Well no prob with that. Shooting anything with any cam need some (more or less) work and skills. But bashing a poor fellow who shoot something for free is little harsh in my world. I just don't comment when I don't like something... free. No prob VK I'm always calm. ;)