Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Finally got a decent workflow for using LUT's in FCP X..hope this is helpful to some!

• @kholi, @vapourtrail Thanks for your answers guys.

• So if there's a shutter speed bug for 24fps to where you go 172.8... is there anything like that for 30 fps – what have you guys been using?

• 30fps is good-to-go with 180 deg shutter, only 24fps is affected. Sort of like a cruel joke for cinema aficionados.

• Today I successfully managed to implement remote control of my BMPCC via a wireless link.

So far I have focus and recording working like a charm.

Next up I plan to get iris control implemented then I will move on to working on a monitoring solution. Zebras, VU meters and perhaps a Histogram should all be possible once that side of the equation is sorted.

Currently I am using my laptop to do the remote stuff though I plan to port the code to an Android app over the next couple of weeks once I have all the code bedded down. If there is sufficient incentive I will also do a port to IOS (iPhone/iPad), though that may take a bit longer.

The best bit is this has been achieved without any firmware mods to the camera whatsoever, on the downside it has taken approx. $150 in bits and pieces to get this far and monitoring may cost a fair bit more to get working. This is having a significant effect on the quantity of fluids currently held in the beer fridge.

• I know it was dificult to shoot for the first time with BMPCC an made a lot of mistakes: bad WB, exposure and focus (used camera LCD) and the Oly 12-50 is not a very good lens, but after Film convert released the BMPCC profile, I decided to redo the grading and it seems that they did a good job:

• @crisvpl Video is interesting. I think it shows the potential of this camera. I guess it requires more skill to shoot with it and grade with it, versus using a GH2. You've got some nice imaging in here. Thanks for posting.

• @crisvpl Wow. A lot of those shots look very impressive. Where was this shot?

• Thank you! For 16 years I worked and i am still working as voluntier for this orphanage and we built this village from the begining. Here live 300 people in a comunity (orphans, homless mothers with children, homeless tenagers, homless families and old peoples too... we take care of more than 450... I intend to make shorts and even feature films with them... sort of production house... and I have a lot of pupils who want to learn and develop cinematography skills... Of course I am not a pro, but I suppose we can do a decent job... I am busy now, but in 2 weeks I will resume with taming this little savage camera. I have a schneider variogon 18-90 F2.0 and I expect good feeling images, but I need a good ND fader... This oly 12-50 is not an impresive lens... Maybe the 12-40...

• recorded with ambient light

• @DocoDocoMan, can you show us what you've got working so far?

• @_gl: Happy to, I'll get the ol' GH2 out of mothballs on Monday arvo and film a quick demo to post.

This little project has been really good procrastination fodder for studying for my cryptography exam on Monday morning...

In summary I have already got the following functions working:

• record start/stop
    • iris open/close and auto
    • focus in/out and auto

and have tested them all with a Panasonic 14-140, I would like to try and implement zooming however I need to get hold of a lens with a powered zoom like the new Panasonic 14-40 in order to test.

Getting the vision back to the controlling device (PC/Mac/Android/iPad) cost effectively is going to be a challenge - there is hardware is available off the self, however most currently available solutions look like costing as much as the camera or more, particularly the low latency options.

I have managed to do a proof of concept utilising a Blackmagic Intensity Shuttle to feed some streaming software on the PC but the lag makes focusing a little cumbersome although certainly do-able. What would be nice is an HDMI Wifi Streamer - they exist though they are very expensive ($1600+)

I have also been in touch with the folks at Blackmagic who have been very helpful and are keen to see what I come up with.

Andy.

• Hello, this is a shot where I used BlackMagic a Pocket Cinema Camera and a Voigtländer Nokton 17.5 F4. I then CG in After Effects using basic tools: Levels, Curves & Hue/Saturation vs RedGiant's Colorista 2. The goal was to use the camera in extreme dark and light conditions without changing the aperture. Sorry for the shaky moves.

• WARNING: After RAW update, my Extreme 64 Gb 45Mbps card is NOT recognized anymore by the BMPCC, even when rec mode is set back on ProRes, not RAW. Don't know yet about the possibility of firmware downgrade

• Yes, seems you now need at least SanDisk Extreme Pro Class 10 64GB SDXC 95Mbps cards.

• This is how it works: if you use the formatted 45 Extreme to rec ProRes it works. If you try RAW it won't work (tries to record but then stops) and from that moment it won't recognize THAT card for anything (neither ProRes). Unless you format it again (so it thinks it is another card, I guess). Note that deleting files wasn't enough, I formatted the card (using my GH3)

• Very good news. But it'll be interesting if it won't glitch randomly, as they state lossless compression and this can bump bitrate on very complex scenes.

• can anyone confirm if SDXC 64GB Sandisk Extreme UHS-I 80MB/s is good enought? In theory it can write 55MBs that BMPCC raw demands...

• The Sandisk Extreme 80MB/s cards actually only have a write rate of 60MB/s (max). At that rate I believe you're hitting the lower limit. So no, they're most likely not good enough.

• I try to import raw files in to adobe premier cc and gave me error , file format not supported

• try to update APProCC. The latest has support for cinema DNG raw