Personal View site logo
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • @HillTop1 same question here... anybody?

• @nomad could you upload some test shots of the 35mm f1.4 - speedbooster combo? Would be greatly appreciated! :)

(I´d be interested in bokeh and behaviour at infinity - or close to - wide open and stopped down)

• Until now I only did test charts.

When the weather get's better towards the weekend, I'll post some shots.

• cheers! I you have time / bother: would be interesting to see the slower 35 in comparison, too.

• OK, here are a few with the 35mm 1.4 WO, at 2.0 (shows the Ninja star) and at 4.0 (star is gone). I'll do some shots of the 35mm 2.8 MM tomorrow.

CY_35+SB_WO.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 134K
    CY_35+SB_@2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 136K
    CY_35+SB_@4.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 148K
  • FD SB arrived this morning and I have to say: Wow. I am loving the FD Speedbooster on the BMPCC, pretty amazing combo. Turns an FD collection into quite a formidable lens kit!

Though I'd share my first impressions:

Lenses mount TIGHT. Very tight. I had a hard time getting the 35mm f2 lined up properly, but with careful alignment (and no unnecessary force) they slip and snap on with no wiggle afterwards.

The adapter to the camera- that's another story. On the GH2 it's really tight (note: you'll have to remove SB's mounting foot to clear the lens release button), but on the BMPCC there is a very slight wiggle. It's still fairly tight, so it doesn't move when I'm focussing the lens, but I can definitely wiggle it a little if I hold it and twist it a little.

It looks like the 20mm f2.8 makes a pretty damn decent 14mm f2 (ish), even wide open (though I haven't peeped for ninjas yet) and I'm also quite liking the 28mm f2 as a 20mm f1.4 on the BMPCC.

I was never really all that interested in the 17mm f4, but now I think I'll have to pick one up, a 12mm f2.8 that will match my other glass would be a nice finish to the set.

I found that the 35-105mm f3.5 (becomes 24-75 f2.5) completely lost it's backfocus on the SB. I had calibrated it previously to a regular FD to M4/3 adapter. You'll have to calibrate parfocal lenses for one type of adapter of the other (unless you want to try and shim the cheaper adapters).

• Rokkor prices gone through the roof this week on Fleabay - 100 f2 for £500+ (it's rare and good but not as good as the 100 2 Contax/Zeiss!) + 85 1.7 also rising - 24 2.8 also going for 10 x last year - what a difference a Caldwell adapter makes ;p They're nearing Contax (which I prefer to my ZF's) inflated prices - which have stabilised a bit - get in now if you like that look! Perceived demand > reality, like the old Lomo's a few years ago which were £100 - and on another tip my old Roland TB303 that I sold for £50 lol (bought it for £25 when they couldn't give them away, so was up hehe) Funny how bloggers memes spread the "need" for brands and formats (ahem Voldemort) and then get lemming'ed to oblivion! Whatever did happen to his NEX campaign for hacking it by the way ? ;p Tax free donations rule, hats off :)

• Don't go for the Rokkor 100mm 2.0, it is the only Rokkor that has massive mechanical problems (soft tube). Get the 100mm 2.5 instead, cheaper and sharper, very close to Zeiss C/Y.

• @KoniFilms Konica AR Lens would be great on Metabones/Mitakon, however there are no news on adapter for these lenses.. The konica AR mount have the shortest flange, even shorter than canon FD one, so there is no way to adapt other Metabones adapter, like FD, on these lens. It would be interesting to see Konica AR on GH2+Metabones: for example, tho konica 40 1.8 will achieve a 50 eq FOV, at 1.4 f stop, a fast "normal" FOV lens for less than 50$, when you will need at least a more expensive FD 35 mm 2.0 + Metabones to get similar results, or a very pricey 25 mm ;) Hope that Metabones or Mitakon will hear this suggestion ;)

• @AlrbertZ Perhaps the really short flange distance is the issue, maybe there is not enough room to cram the optics inside.

• As promised: the Zeiss Contax 35mm 1:2.8 with SB, shot open.

Contrast may be different because of humidity in the air and I corrected color shifts from the sodium lamps this time.

35mm_SB_Offen.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 154K
  • @nomad That shot with Zeiss Contax 35mm with SB looks great. What camera did you shoot this with?

• @matt_gh2 Shot with GH2, my BMPCC is still under repair for white orbs :-((

• @JuMo I don't thinkis a matter of flange, Konica AR flange is only 1,3 mm shorter than Canon FD ;)

• Hello...sorry for may bad english... I have a question.... I have The speedbooster Nikon G +rokikon 16 f2(manual aperture ring)...for my bmpcc.... Which aperture ring i use?Aperture on lens or speedbooster?is the same?...

Thanks ;)

• If there is an aperture ring on your lens, then use that.

• Tried out some of my M42 and FD glass with the Speedbooster. I used the Canon 35-105/3.5, SMC/Takumar 55/1.8 and Zenitar 18/2.8 fisheye, all with the Speedbooster. Great addition to your kit if you have several FD lenses already.

• Nikon G/F to m4/3 is out of stock :-(

I use Zeiss glass, both C/Y and ZF, but my widies are on F mount. Still wondering if I should get C/Y mount first. Shots @nomad posted simply whet my appetite.

• @AlbertZ You're right, that's not much different, but I seem to remember reading something somewhere when Metabones released the first NEX SB's that they weren't sure if they'd be able to get the optics into the FD to M43 speed booster - there was concern of space (and my FD SB is quite compact), so maybe that 1.3mm is more of an issue than we might think! I honestly have no idea though.

• @JuMo I realize.. anyway in that case it would be possible, for sure, to modify Konica Lens (Hexanons 57, 50, 40) in order to fit them on FD mount and get infinity focus too (the back of these lenses has a 3 mm free space, so it is possible to adapt them for FD, with FD flange distance). It 's not too hard to achieve these modification, they were common several years ago when normal adapters weren't so cheap! there's material on the net..when a Mitakon-FD will be available I will try ;)

• @AlbertZ That's a cool idea, when you get to experimenting I'll be curious to see your findings!

• My MFT > FD speedbooster arrived, it's quite a lot thinner than the Nikon G version I have. One thing I was worried about was that the FD mount side was very sloppy and was struggling to focus a little past infinity. On investigation, all the little hex screws hadn't been tightened up on the mounting plate. Tightened them all up and everything is now fine. Not exactly sure what's going on but thought I would pass it on.

FD20/2.8 + SB is looking nice, as is the FD35/2

• I need a speebooster C/Y to MFT. Anybody knows where to buy it in Europe for the normal price? The only place I found was on ebay.uk for 50% more than the US price.

• @itimjim could you post some pics please?