Personal View site logo
35mm F1.4 Samyang or Rokinon Prime Lens
  • 156 Replies sorted by
  • @vicharris nice collection...i also like fast primes. Good to hear you that the adapter is working fine for you!

• Just got the GH2 a few months ago and have been working exclusively with the kit lens but am ready to start investing in some glass, unfortunately I don't have a lot of money to invest so I'm trying to find the most bang for my buck and the Samyang 35mm looks to fit the bill. I'm ready to lay down the money but can't make up my mind between the Canon and the Nikon mount. Again, I don't have any other lenses so the idea is that this would be the first and I'd ideally go on collecting more of the same mount type. What are people's thoughts about the pluses and minuses of either?

Also, the general consensus seems to be that everyone who's purchased the Jiakgong adapter on ebay is happy with the results, correct? What are people's thoughts on Fotodiox? I'd love to save money with either option but am hesitant because of horror stories I've heard of cheap adapters getting stuck on lenses.

Any advice is very much appreciated, thanks!

• Deleted by poster

• I second the Nikon mount version. There's lots of old glass and some new stuff like the Tokina 11-16 were you need something with a manual iris adjuster. None of the newer canon mount stuff has this. Unless you plan to go Canon soon or use any camera that requires the electronic connections, go Nikon. Also @sherwood, Rokinon only makes one type of lens. All the glass is the same on the new lens' at this point. No need to worry about that.

• Deleted by poster

• I read the post. I was commenting on what you said at the start of the post. You stated you bought the "VDSLR Pro version (the one you want for video)" I said there's only one type of this lens. So your statement of "the one you want for video" does not make any sense. Read what YOU wrote!

• If you don't like the reversed focus, you can still go for the Minolta AF version.

• Thanks all! After the recommendations I think I'm definitely going with the nikon mount version and will hopefully be able to expand to some more lenses that work with the same adapter down the line. Cheers!

• Is it for Olympus four-thirds or for micro four thirds?

In the first case you need an adapter, like this: Fotodiox Lens Mount Adapter Olympus OM Zuiko Lens to MFT Micro 4/3.

In the second case none.

• @nomad it just doesn't fit i'll upload a video on youtube showing me trying to attach the lens to the adapter

@Vitality_Kiselev i brought it off ebay. I brought this Rokinon Olympus E RK35M 35 mm f/1.4 UMC Lens For Olympus http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Rokinon-Olympus-E-RK35M-35-mm-f-1-4-UMC-Lens-For-Olympus-/108646431?_tab=1&_trksid=p2047675.l2644 yeah it its a 43 mount what adapter should I order so I can attach it to my gh2?

• Any 43 to m43 adapter :-) Not Om to 43 and not OM to m43 :-)

OM is old Olympus DSLRs mount, really old.

• @DeShonDixon

First, all this talk is vastly offtopic here, and belongs to Adapters.

Second, check my link and get adapter that you can attach to tripod directly, as 35mm is not very light lens.

• Very sorry, my fault, Vitaliy is right. I used to have a set of these, but sold them. Never had one of the older OM lenses. It's confusing their cameras still go under OM…

• How does this lens compare against SLR Magic 35mm 1.4 CINE II wide open on M43? Do breathing issues still exist? Thx!

• @jfilmmaker I have the SLR Magic 35mm CINE II and it's pretty sharp wide open, with no visible breathing.
    @vicharris has compared SLR vs Rokinon a while ago, and optical formula for both lenses is still the same:

• Here's a quick test with the Samyang 35mm T1.5 (f 1.4) mounted on the Panasonic Lumix DMC- G6. For doing narrative work, medium and close ups, low light stuff, this lens kicks ass. Super sharp and fast, Also makes a decent portrait lens on a m/43rds system. I only wish it had more throw for pulling focus, but hey, for the price how much can you complain?

• Lens available now in EF mount with aperture control ability using camera

sales17.jpg
    580 x 393 - 31K

Wide open, we find that the Sigma 35mm f1.4 is king. Little to nothing beats it at this point. But when it comes to the lenses both being stopped down, they are pretty much neck in neck and hard to beat. Indeed, both are great options.

Huh, mine 35mm is good wide open, may be Sigma is even better?

http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/09/01/one-sigma-35mm-f1-4-vs-rokinon-35mm-f1-4-canon-chipped/

olym13.jpg
    800 x 504 - 85K
  • I've read and watched a lot of good reviews about rokinon cine lenses. What about samyang lenses? If I am not mistaking it is one and the same manufactur. But what about user experience?

How does this the rokinon 35 mm 1.5 cine perform at 1.5? Is it soft?

Specially in combination with metabone canon EF to MFT XL adapter? Or straight mft on the gh4.

Also how does these lenses get along with gears and follow focus systems?

Since I live in Germany, can anyone one provide dealers to get rokinon cine lenses?

Feedback would be much appreciated?