Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
35mm F1.4 Samyang or Rokinon Prime Lens
  • 156 Replies sorted by
  • @Everyone
    I have been thinking about this- re: 35mm 1.4 Samyang movement... how 'stiff' is the focus ring on your units? Mine is quite dampened. Maybe too dampened- as the resistance causes the backlash. :(

What should I do spray WD40 inside the ring or something? (joke)
    As I have found that pulling focus from 1-3 meters is quite ok... no issues with breathing for that distance.
  • When getting the Samyang 35mm 1.4 for canon or nikon mount, which adapter do you recommend for the GH2?
  • @Alexauwa
    The major difference in Rokinon's Canon and Nikon versions is that the focus ring rotates in opposite directions, consistent with lenses made by Canon and Nikon. If you want a lens whose focus ring rotates in the same direction as Panasonic Lumix lenses, get the Canon version of the Rokinon 35mm f1.4. I got the Nikon version of the Rokinon because its reversed focus ring rotation works the way I prefer with the TrusMT Follow Focus unit.
  • Also the Nikon version has focus confirmation chip that can be used for some Nikon bodies.
  • @LPowell Good to know. Thx!
  • Emailed Samyang- the word is that this lens was NOT designed for Follow Focus gear usage at all- otherwise the focus ring would have been less dampened.

Just thought everyone should know- BTW: there is some more information from Samyang- however I have to double check if I can share... ; )
  • Let me guess... AF m43 lenses from Samyang next year? Or 12mm 2.0 cine lens?
  • Well- I know that VK H A T E S rumors- but this one has been emailed to me by the R&D team at Samyang.
    They have begun work on a Video 35mm 1.4 with Gears! Release July 2012...
    Maybe there will be a whole prime kit before 2013!
  • Woohoo!!!!

Samyang is new Zeiss. They deserve new nickname: Sam-Zeiss.

Let's wait and see!!! Oh please tell them about the heavy breathing issue.
  • I more like to have fast primes:
    12mm, 17mm, 20mm, 25mm, 35mm, 50mm, 85mm, 135mm line

It leave 17mm, 25mm, 50mm, 135mm for new Samyangs :-) 20mm also good, as electronic focusing on pancake is pain sometimes.
  • @alcomposer

Btw, if you don't want to wait so long we can work with Cinematics.
    They are doing professional conversions (up to the mount change) ala Duclos.
  • +1 @stonebat
    +1 @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Hopefully this one will eventuate- (and if there is one geared lens [contact mentioned aperture + focus) then there are bound to be others!)
  • Ah... if Samyang releases cine lenses, prolly higher price tag...
  • Higher price tag? So? Their lenses currently are the cheapest on the planet- so what if each is $1000???
    Looked at the price of a geared lens these days? Price of cheapest pro prime kit will cost you a block of land!

They mentioned on email that this lens was specifically for VDSLR.. so may not be PL mount...
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

Sorry VK- didn't read your last post- was too wrapped up in the moment of discovery! Yes- Cinematics sounds like a great idea,.. what sort of lenses would they be interested in doing? (loosening off the dampened 35mm focus ring can be a start!)
  • @LPowell The rokinon 35 mm lens seem to be pretty hard to get in germany, but i can find a Samyang 35 mm and a Walimex Pro 35 mm 1,4. They all look the same. Where is the difference?
  • @Alexauwa nothing is different - Samyang is the company- Rokinon is the 'rebrand' - there are a few other 'rebrands' as well. Good thing is get the one that is cheapest at the time!
  • Walimex is a rebrand by a German importer (Waller).
  • @alcomposer
    @nomad

Thanks for info. Do you recommend any adapter for the GH2?
  • @Alexauwa you mean from Nikon -> m43?
  • @alcomposer I think for canon, depends which one Ill get
  • @Alexauwa whatever adaptor you get- find it on ebay... I have purchased a few 'chinese' adaptors- and for $20 they are not bad. I have a Nikon ->m43 on order that has a tripod mount attached- so I will report back when I get that. Lots of the adaptors now you can find with tripod mounts- so may help if your lens is LARGE.
  • Got this in the mail today...

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Nikon-G-AF-S-F-Lens-Micro-4-3-M4-3-Mount-Adapter-Tripod-Mount-GF7-GF3-G3-/230695651512?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item35b68848b8#ht_5649wt_934

Great mount so much stronger than it looks... (actually its ROCK SOLID) 35mm "NO" wobble AT ALL!

Sorry about posting again, & images, but just to illustrate- the images are deceiving!
    NIGtoM43tm2j.jpg
    640 x 300 - 35K
    NIGtoM43tm3j.jpg
    640 x 300 - 40K
  • Sorry guys, but I seriously doubt Samyang will release a fast 50. I could be wrong, but over the past several years they've repeatedly side-stepped making a 50mm lens. This is most likely because it's a seriously oversaturated part of the market. While Samyang makes some awesome lenses, most purchasers are probably looking for the cheap way to get a certain focal length, and it's damn hard to compete when Canon is selling their 50mm 1.8 for all of one hundred dollars.

On a happier note, don't forget these lenses come in Pentax and Sony mounts too! I come from using them on my film and digital Pentax slrs, now have an adapter for my new GH2.
  • @DUCK
    2012-13 Samyang will release their 35mm Cine Lens... Can't wait!