Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • thanks @cjdincer and @digitalamator ! Really grateful for the feedback!

As for the Canon FD lenses, it seems like a no brainer, and I'll buy the adaptor and one of those as soon as my wallet breathes a little ahah.

• so dont pay too much for adapter. I bought "Fotga" for 1,5 euro on ebay and works great with my canon. Later you will have other expenses like slider, tripod , rig, microphne, light, matebox but first....collect money for follow focus...realy, this is great item :)

• @edu115 don't worry about lenses. Now you have a m4/3 camera, the whole world of lenses are available to you. When you check the internet, you would see there are many m4/3 adapters for all kinds of lenses, even PL mount cinema lenses that would sell for the price of a car. Cheers! concentrate on your projects and shoot more, have fun. :-)

• I've dropped one lens from a cheap adaptor and now I only use the polish ones, great quality

• I've asked this question on another forum and I think I have narrowed my choice down to getting a G6. In a nutshell I have pre-ordered a BMPCC for a trip to Africa leaving mid October. Needless to say I won't be getting it before then so I am looking at alternatives. I already have an OM-D/EM-5 and a pre-order in for the EM-1 which again I am unlikely to receive before then (in the UK). So I am looking for an alternative to the BMPCC. I don't really want to go the whole hog on a GH3 so after recommendations and some research the G6 looks like being the favourite. Are there any other options you would recommend? Sorry if this is the wrong place but after reading through this thread the G6 looks more appealing. Thanks in advance.

• Only 2 minuses for G6: No hdmi on shooting, No constant preview, ...as far as I can tell.

• I've taken my G6 everywhere and it has been a great performer. Focus peaking can't be underestimated. It's awesome, quick and a truely useful feature. HDMI output would be nice but I'd never use it for my purposes. The constant preview is probably the only issue I have with the camera and again this isn't a deal breaker more a nice to have feature.

I find the creative filters, time lapse and stop motion features worth wild because it makes the camera so much more versatile. I used the time lapse this weekend at my sister in laws wedding reception and it turned out great. I wasn't the photographer but they enjoyed the time lapse.

A plus is that if I do decide to go while hog into video, I can get a BMPCC & use my Panasonic MFT lens. Of even better their will be a hack to increase the functionality and video bitrate of the G6.

• Thanks for both of the replies. I wouldn't use the hdmi out I don't think although the constant preview would be nice to have for sure. However, I think that the timelapse / stop motion features definitely outweigh this for me anyway. #reachesforcreditcard

• You can buy Panasonic G6 and save money foradditonal parts like: timelapase remote, additional monitor, tiltshift lens, expensive lenses ect.

• Don't forget the handy electronic shutter so you don't kill your cams shutter life in short time like mechanical potentially can if used for timelapse a lot.

• I've been reading the handy "Setting up the Lumix G6" that was posted on here which is full of useful set up tips. The electronic shutter option is one to remember for sure. I have an SLR Magic 12mm and a couple of C-Mounts already which I intend to put to good use. Thanks again.

• I was looking at some batteries for the G6. A lot of the non-Lumix ones seem to have "No indication of how much life is left shown" on the description. I was looking at getting a couple of copies for standby duties. Is this the case for all non Lumix cells?

• Yes it is. Lumix ones have some special chip in them.

• Hi just wondering where the "setting up lumix g6" is....can't find it on the forum

• http://cameraergonomics.blogspot.com.au/ I'm sure I read it on here somewhere but I might have been mistaken. Apologies if so.

• Hallo together, after I lost my left eye, depressed sold all my GH + equipment. It took me more then a year to train and come back. Here Iam. Happy to meet many of the old fellows.

Hi Vitaly, Driftwood, LPowell, bkmwcd and all others...

A G6 is my new partner, and Iam waiting whats going on with it...???

It should be done !

THE HACK !

Shouldnt it ? !

• @trailer I bought a Wasabi Power 2 pack and charger combo on Amazon for my G6. They have been perfect so far and the on screen battery meter works just fine with them.

http://www.amazon.com/Wasabi-Power-Panasonic-DMW-BLC12E-DMW-BLC12PP/dp/B0051PLPM6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1380756464&sr=8-2&keywords=wasabi+power+btr-blc12

Some of the reviews say they don't show remaining battery with a GH2, but the ones I have do with the G6.

Cheers, Pete

• @c3hammer You should make sure it shows the battery power actually draining. Charge one up and run it down in cam. See how accurate it is. Then perhaps try the other.

• @Mckinise, seems to be working just fine. When there's no bars left it stops pretty quick.

Cheers, Pete

• @trailer there are several offers (wasabi offer) on the bay. I use PATONA, Li-ion 7,2 - High capacity 950mAh 6.8 Wh - Its with indication chip. About 10€ - satisfied use of 2 of them + the original one, and an GH2 power adapter for inside work. @deadmeadow to set up a camera, what modell ever, is a very individual thing, depending on taste, needs, jobs, etc. So just try, test and find out whats best for each of your needs. Interesting presets by the way in the G6 "Creative" and "Scene" mode.

• @benibube:welcome back! hope you enjoy the g6 a lot! all the best

• @C3hammer @Benibube Thanks for the suggestions. I couldn't see any of the above located in the UK. I need them before the end of next week so I went with this: http://www.amazon.co.uk/DMW-BLC12-Recharger-Panasonic-DMC-FZ200-DMC-GH2GK/dp/B00D2K4QLE/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1380803383&sr=8-3&keywords=gh-2+battery Cheers again.

• @Mirrorkisser thank you. Lets enjoy, when ever possible.

• Been trying out the G6 and Panasonic 12-35 2.8 for video. For stills it's a great combination but for video there is something I haven't experienced before going on. I see something looking like micro vibrations on almost all shots. I have OIS and auto-focus turned on as these are valuable tools for documentary style shooting. My guess is that the auto-focus hunts ever so little creating these vibrations in the picture. Could be wrong and it might be the OIS instead. Haven't done extensive testing but it's very obvious on tripod shoots and also on steady handheld shoots. I know OIS isn't great on tripod but many other cameras handle this much better, this Panasonic combination is bad enough to ruin the shoots, they all need to stabilized with software to be usable. Any one with similar experience?

• Here's a post where they discuss very problem your having although with Nikon lens. Nikon uses lens based VR which is the same as Panasonics OIS lens based VR.

http://www.mattk.com/2013/06/10/photo-tip-using-vibration-reduction-vr-on-a-tripod/

Could be the issue.