Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • Vitaliy, there were no upset or anything like that just wanted to say that I've always felt that intelligent modes are rubbish. ;)

• Vitaliy, there were no upset or anything like that just wanted to say that I've always felt that intelligent modes are rubbish. ;)

:-) No one is upset. But Ai modes require understanding and some time adopting to them also :-) Such auto model are now present in cameras of most manufacturers and for a reason, as results they allow to get are better than simple auto modes.

• "One last thing, the G6 is not supported by the Adobe raw plug in, so you can not use this files directly into photoshop or any other Adobe software (like using timelapse into Premiere)."

Thats rubbish.... I can import into adobe bridge, camera raw, photoshop, lightroom and after effects direct from the G6 raw files with no issue. Premier is the only one that does not support it but by the time I get to premier its always been converted to another format anyway.

The iA+ mode is fine for quick point and shoot stuff where you don't have the time to arse around with settings. Had some nice results with this actually.

• @ten G6 raw is not directly supported in older versions like CS5 or Lightroom 3.

• Ah... rite.... old software... time to upgrade, kids ;op

• @DeadMeadow Really like that video, thanks for posting it.

So tempted to get this camera, the only thing stopping me is my concerns about shadow artefacts etc, much like the Canon DSLRs have (minus the higher bitrate on the 5dmk3), I like shooting contrasty/high lighting ratios and absolutely HATE how DSLRs typically handle shadows, when/if a hack comes for the G6 that would definitely alleviate it somewhat, and I've yet to see any really dark/low light G6 footage (granted I haven't really looked)

RE: Shooting stills in Auto mode:

Better to shoot in Auto that not shoot at all, it's the user not the camera and if you've only got one hand free, why not? I prefer program mode personally (set ISO and aperture/shutter are auto), if it's good enough for Scott Kelby, it's good enough for me!

• @brake - the G6 has horrible fixed pattern noise when ISO is above 800 and it is underexposed in the shadows. It doubles down when in ETC mode. I think a GH3 would be a better bet if lower light performance were important.

Cheers, Pete

• I kinda like having the iA mode there for those times when you just don't have the time, but you just have to get the shot. It comes in handy once in awhile and the camera is better for having it.

• @c3hammer

Thanks for the reply. What do you mean it "doubles down when in ETC mode"? Sorry for the newb question!

Thanks

• "Extended teleconverter mode" doubles focal length, so 14mm becomes 28mm and it's not digi zoom...it's some kind of sensor magic.

• @brake - fixed pattern noise is a lot worse in the shadows when at higher ISO's in ETC. Not really double, but just a figure of speech to say it doubles down when in ETC mode and you don't have enough light.

@Rivo_Kikkul - ETC is actually a 2.4x magnification. The crop factor of the camera itself is 2x (I actually measured it at 2.09x as best I could on the G6). This gives you 4.8x magnification of any focal length relative to a full frame. Not really any magic at all. They just take the center 1920x1080 pixels out of the center of the sensor rather than doing a blend of the 4608x3456 down to 1920x1080 for the G6's 21.64mm diagonal sensor size.

Cheers, Pete

• I wonder if it's possible to activate live hdmi with forthcoming hacks? I think the restriction is prabably done with firmware just not to give G-user GH features. My GH2 looked good on 40" TV :)

• @Rivo_Kikkul

It is not topic about hacks. As for all this "enabling HDMI" it is really only possible having all documentation. And even with it it most probably will cost few bodies going into bricks.

• Hi guys! I'm thinking about buying a G6, but since there's no hacking options yet to overcome this, I was wondering what's the news on the diagonal rain front. Has anybody encountered it when editing G6 footage? Is it gone now?

• @charlie_orosco I've been shooting extensively now with the G6 and used it for several jobs. Diagonal rain as on GH2 is not something I've encountered as a problem when pushing in grading. But if you push your footage in grading you will hit on some blocking issues - but nothing f.ex. Neat Video can't take care of. The issue of banding is much better handled in G6 footage than in GH2. Compared to other dslr's I wouldn't say that ISO noise is a big issue either. Certainly much better than GH2 and better than any Nikon DSLR I've shot on. I don't own a GH3, so don't know how it fares against that one. G6 is a solid performer - no-brainer at the price tag.

• What about streaming video over wifi,is it posible to capture it,what format is it,what are limitations of NFC connection ?

• carlopecic...I use wifi to preview on ma galaxy note 10.1 and this is little poor bacuse on wifi you can set resolution only on VGA and QVGA so streaming will be probably this same resolution.

NFC i dont use yet.

• I am thinking is there posibility for g6 hack to transmit HQ video over WiFi for recording,that would be NiCe :)

• for $750 I think you might be pushing too far please be more realistic guys you get what you paid for.

• Higher bitrates from a hack would be great. Other than that, this camera seems a damn good buy for the money....lot of bang for the buck

• Some test shots made with the Panasonic G6 + Voigtlander 25mm f0.95 lens.

• @rickgude A bit Phillipy Bloomy there :) Nice colors! Can't wait for the hacking to begin!

• Where is the "play" button when I view images on external screen and touchscreen in disabled? Didn't figure it out myself :D