Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX7 topic
  • 320 Replies sorted by
  • @tinbeo Yes they were graded together. I don't remember my white balance or colour settings, as it's been months since that shoot (and I don't keep notes on it).

@jojoen I wasn't even aware you could "stream" this camera's feed in any way. How did you manage that?

• I'm pianist and I use two cameras. Fz200 and LX7. I like this cameras. Please, watch in 1080p. I like more the Panasonic that Canon to shoot videos.

• Very nice video. I enjoyed the performance more than the technical aspects of the video. Video was very nice.

What was the soundtrack source.?

• dpainter: Thank you. Sound track source? Zoom H4n...excellent for instruments recording

• I used the LX7's 120fps to record hummingbirds for slow motion. Here's the video.

Harold House

• Low light 4x slow motion fire show: 720/120p.

• It might be just a dream for this camera being hacked. It was so good that no further update firmware will be needed -;).

• Hello,

My first post here. Unfortunately Im looking for some help with my LX7, there is a strong hiss in movies... I'm not sure if it's the right place to post/ask, please tell me where to post if here's not good. I put some 10 sec videos in my public Dropbox, the link is here, https://www.dropbox.com/sh/typ2udqh6cyv1i0/9a6rHaMh-G to hear what it's all about... 10 sec clips in MP4 / AVCHD, creative video, S, 1/30 shutter... Am I doing something obviously wrong and missing it?

Wonderful site... Thanks for what you're doing... I sure hope I'll install a hack myself ...

Thanks for helping / advising, Virgil.

• @tinbeo I disagree. The 30 minute limit on video length is a critical failing on the LX7. It drastically limits my ability to use it for B-roll. Additionally, there is very significant moire on the video which is more than annoying. The LF1 has this problem as well. Whatever were Panasonic thinking?

• For consumers, LX7 was good enough to call Point and shoot Camera. Panasonic dun care moire or 30 min limits.

• @virgil1612 : You mean hiss in the audio. The camera has an auto gain control (AGC) the environment is silent so the gain is turned up and you hear the amplifier noise. But it can fairly well manage the high volumes in concerts. :) I used it several times.

• They won't fix the 30min limit. It's intentional. The staircase affect on slant lines are fairly disturbing but I would say it's a feature. We should find a serious bug.

• @stevens37y: Yes, in audio, that's what I meant. Auto Gain... I'm confused, I only find auto gain in multi exposures, for automatically adjusting brightness when combining pictures, no connection to audio... Please explain... I'm lost... :-) Virgil.

• The 30 min limit exists because otherwise it would be considered a video camera and fall under a different tax/customs duty category. That would result in a significant price increase, so manufacturers limit the recording time to get around it. You can blame the EU for coming up with this spectacularly stupid rule and the WTO for making it a global standard. Bottom line is that removing it requires a hack of either the hardware or the political system.

https://www.google.com/search?q=30+minute+limit+on+video+capture

• When I look at the capability of the LX7 it is clearly targeted to a photographer that wants more than just point and shoot. Those that just want point and shoot can get a camera for half the cost of the LX7 and that is what they buy. Or they just use their cellphone.

There are plenty of bugs in the LX7 firmware they should have fixed. Now looking like they are waiting for the LX8.

• @dpainter : "plenty of bugs" They would fix if there were plenty of complains.

• @virgil1612 : "auto gain in multi exposures" has nothing to do with this. The audio gain/level cannot be controlled in this camera. You need higher audio levels to avoid the hiss. Or buy a low noise digital recorder (e.g Olympus LS-11). They are sites which compare the noise of the different recorders (e.g.ww.theatreofnoise.com).

• stevens37y I didn't know how audio gain works, I thought one has some control from the menu but now I understand it's automatic. I just need to determine if it works correctly on my camera or not. I look at LX7 recordings from this thread and audio seems to be very good, while when I do a recording of my own, I'm always bothered by hiss...

• The audio here comes very often from other sources. The LX7 doesn't record audio in high speed(slow motion) mode. In my slomo videos the audio mostly comes from the Pana X909 (I use them often at the same time together) or from the Olympus LS-11 sometimes. Try to record a loud sound.

• Hi Steven! Off topic kind of but... How is your X909 in low light compared to the LX-7? We did a small project here with both in auto mode and the X909 a friend had for different angles. 909 was excellent in daytime but later in the evening it was useless as it seems it used very high ISO or something. Do you use manual mode in the evening or extra light?

• The thing is Panasonic might not release newer firmware. I tried already by email them complaint about 30 min, about noisy audio .... They asked my camera model serial # without answer my question of newer firmware -:)

• @jojoen : "X909 low light". Hi, I've put a link into the desc. (watch on YT page) of the "Shining Shadows" video to the orig. norm.speed version which was made at the same time with X909. You can check the IQ if interesting I tell you my manual settings.

• @stevens - I don't think they care how many complaints there are. Maybe if they think it will affect sales.

• I need to alert every LX7 owner. There is a MAJOR bug in photo mode on LX7. Please see my post here http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/8244/panasonic-lx7-photo-topic#Item_4

• Interresting. I just bought a brand new LX7 after my last one was crushed by a stone (my 3rd LX7 now). This is a PAL version bought in Norway and in the menu it says firmware 1.0. From before I have had both PAL and NTSC versions.

In M mode the i.Dynamic is not greyed out. If i put anything but off I can get what you describe. But off is still iso80.

I can not check the older cameras as one is given away and one is crushed