Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @shian It's warp stabilizer

• @rlima I don't know if i'm getting paranoic, but even now that video looks not so natural, cause all far lights look "balls" so different from the backgroud. I don't know, maybe i'm wrong.

• @Renovatio I think that's more or less the way BM cameras render specular lights, and for me it is very acceptable now, something I can live with. But I want to see more footage from recalibrated cameras, like metal reflection on a sunny day like a parking lot or a big avenue full of cars under strong sun. I hope we can see more in the next couple of weeks..

• Ok change of direction....

Lenses and the BMPCC... Blunty posted this recently-

• On the BM forum there is a before and after fix series of jpg pics where the after seems to have less DR, IF the lighting was really identical in both pics.

http://forum.blackmagicdesign.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=12250&sid=871365fd2bbbfb69e3d31bde3d3cb554&start=250#p77816

• It's quite obvious the lighting wasn't the same though.

• Yeah, it turns out the porch lights were off, so it shows nothng.

• lol so many disappointed lovers here. falling in love and then after the ecstasy finding out the woman is just human. the crusade some people are fighting against the bmpcm is hilarious. not that objectivity was ever there when it came to discussing cameras, but this reminds me of how friends tell me over a couple of beers for weeks how great that woman is and then a week later for months what a bitch she really was.

dont pull things on the olymp at the start, then you dont have to hate them so much later.

there are enough alternatives outthere, 5dmkiii with raw, digital bolex (:P), bmcc, just go for them. i will wait if this fix does the job and then order that little bugger.

• The fix works, BMD are ramping up so every Pocket exhibiting the issue can be sent to your nearest BM office and recalibrated there. To compensate for the (one way) shipping cost you can either get a free battery or work something out with your local office.

Since last monday all new pockets are leaving the factory with the new calibration base!

The issue was brought to their attention and they solved it in short time.

• It's awesome that they managed to fix it with sensor calibration, I was pretty confident they would resolve it somehow (and they beat Fuji's fix turnaround time by like half a year). Bummer for all those people that hastily cancelled their pre-orders before giving BMD a full working week to address and fix the issue.

• @JuMo

As I said, do not rush with any conclusions, both negative and positive. As this calibration could actually be sensor replacement also :-)

• Hmm. I think it wasn´t just the blooming issue the people cancelled their orders. It was just "the last straw that broke the camel's back" ^^.But it´s really nice to hear, that it´s fixed now! I also hope, that they will add more features soon (software wise). (AND / OR also update their BMCC - Because it´s also a very nice & affordable option now.)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev If that were so, that would be pretty much straight-up misinformation - I'd question what would be more damaging to them: bald-faced lying to all the BMPCC customers, or admitting that some sensors need to be replaced? I'm still leaning towards sensor calibration being the actual fix as apposed to clandestine 2 hour sensor replacement via USB connection (example: BMD forum user Mataikan who got recalibrated at the BMD Asia HQ), but as you pointed out Vitaliy, you can't believe everything you read on the internet!

• If that were so, that would be pretty much straight-up misinformation - I'd question what would be more damaging to them: bald-faced lying to all the BMPCC customers, or admitting that some sensors need to be replaced?

Now, suppose they say that all sensors are faulty and need to be replaced. As I understand they'll get many more cancelled orders and many people could return cameras.

So, let's wait and check actual thing.

• True, though I want to point out that they have stated on their official forum that not all cameras in the wild are suffering from this fault (it appears to be limited to some of the earliest production models). As for the recalibration: I'm just going off the word of another BMPCC owner at this point (someone I don't actually know, but...), but I'd hope that by next weekend we'll have verification from multiple sources on this matter.

• Here is, in German, a technical explanation of Blackmagic's problem fix: The recalibration changes the timing of the high and the low conversion gain mode of the camera sensor. Apparently, the sensor is designed as a HDR sensor with two read-out gates. With Blackmagic's previous sensor calibration, the switch from low to high conversion gain mode occurred too late (and created the blobs).

This can be changed by reprogramming the sensor controller, but since this is one level lower than firmware, it can't be done by a firmware update.

• Apparently, the sensor is designed as a HDR sensor with two read-out gates. With Blackmagic's previous sensor calibration, the switch from low to high conversion gain mode occurred too late (and created the blobs).

Btw, it shows real flaw (absent on approproate FW part) and possible future improvements.

BMCC also has two ADC paths, so it is strange to see such problem.

• That's interesting -- maybe it's also the source of the strange shutter blur that people have been seeing. (has that been fixed yet?)

• Cheesycam reports another type of problem, 100's of black lines in video:

Oops! missed that one... link removed

• Flaws aside, I like the footage I've seen so far. Has that low contrast, slightly milky look.

• @andrew00 That's the wide dynamic range you're seeing. It's not really a 'look', per-say, it's a 'film-like' signal to maximize DR for gradability. The camera also has a rec709 'Video' setting, that has greater contrast and saturation.. If you just want milky looks, you could always ebay some low contrast filters for whatever camera you have now. They won't give you any more DR (just a mild illusion of it), but they will give you that milky look, if that's all you are really looking for.

• I read it "low contrast, slightly nooby look," somehow. Not shooting in rec709 and then posting ungraded footage is like watching people post vertical iPhone videos.

• What's wrong with vertical video? ;-)