Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • To anybody who owns this camera already: How is it working wit the lcd screen in very bright light situation/full sunshine or else... Can you see anything? Anybody adapted some lcd viewfinder to it?

• @gameb

My BMCC's screen sucks outside, but I hear that the BMPCC's screen is a lot better. I no personal experience with the BMPCC, that's just what I've read and heard.

• I dont know about BMCC screen but Pocket screen is crap. Too dark and even it's a kind of matte it sucks outside also. Are you talking about viewfinder via HDMI or a hood loupe? HDMI viewfinder should work but it will kill the pocket concept. There is no hood loupe at the moment as the screen is 3,5" but has different aspect ratio than 3,5" screens for DSLRs. Also the gap between screen and control buttons is quite small. Kinohtek hopefully will build one soon.

• We had one. Screen is awful for focusing, and that is why there are so many out of focus videos. Forget sunlight focusing. it is a pretty good cinema cam with an external monitor, but the only time I would use it as a "pocket camera" is on an external mount such as a gimbal (still better with monitor) or car mount. It is not a portable do all camera. Don't forget it REQUIRES a dual sound system as the internal sound is awful, worse than the BMCC. It is a very good camera but it is not a POCKET camera.

• another handicap: focus peak is in green color and not changeable. A complete disaster if you shoot outdoor in landscape.

• If you could monitor in black and white with the green peaking that would be ideal. I wonder if that is possible maybe with a firmware update. Perhaps its a good suggestion for BMD.

• Yep, even though screen is matte, I couldn't tell where I was focusing outside. Had to trust the green peaking 100% as I really couldn't see much. I was outdoors in greenery too so that was fun. I played with one yesterday for the first time. I actually caught myself trying to put it up to my face an look through an EVF. Kinda funny. I would say an external anything is a must have for this camera outside. Not that that's any kind of deal breaker as I thought you would need one as soon as I saw this camera.

• @vicharris How are you liking it so far vic?
    I mean the cam in general, not the screen ;)

• @FlaandeeersOh, I don't have it, whisper1 stopped by yesterday to try out my glass on his new camera. I just played around with it for a bit. Wasn't too impressed with the screen. I liked the matte but when viewing from any angle, I couldn't see anything. I'm not sure why BM can't get any screens right on their cameras. I have some footage here but haven't really played with it. Seemed ok to me but we were just playing around with lens FOV on the cam for him. But I would have to say the screen is worthless in the day. At least for me. It might be fine for others.

• @MikeLinn those images looked very nice. I have not even downloaded it yet and I'm impressed. Why on earth couldn't we get these sort of images from others from the beginning I don't know. But the detail in these shots look nice.

• @MikeLinn has this camera been recalibrated? There are blooming orbs on the vehicles in the first scene and in the water reflections in scenes toward the end. So, hopefully it has not had the sensor recalibration yet.

• @MikeLinn I can't find any reference to this video being shot on BMPCC. Do you have the info?

• This is the effects of the calibrated BMPCC.

• haha complaints complaints, BMPCC sucks, BMCC screen too dark, why dont you make your own cameras?

• I really like the image coming from it for its size. For me the screen is probably the one a major hardware let down on this thing in this day and age. worst viewing angle ever ha. Everything else I can kinda live with for the IQ price point.

• @MikeLinn Yowza, that is some detailed footage. Check out the original file.

• @kazuo Question sir, do you have one of these cameras or have you shot with one?

• Great test @moribun1984, your orbs were especially bad, the perfect example. If you don't call this a fault, you don't got eyes.

Interesting how the calibration also cleared up most of the Black Spots of Doom.

• Nevertheless it's difficult to find a good solution for focusing/framing in daylight. The Zeiss Cinemizer might be an interesting solution, but until now it only works at 23.98 or 24 fps with the BMPCC. It works in all modes with a Scarlet…

• "...the best outdoor light is Dawn and Dusk"

+1

• @nomad thanks for the info. I was seriously thinking about buying one.

• But my big question 90% of the time is why are you even shooting in uncontrollable harsh bright midday sunlight anyway outdoors??? Cinematography 101, the best outdoor light is Dawn and Dusk.

because you have to. Request of client, location isn't lit neither in dawn nor in dusk, location is available just now, documentary shot ... c'mon, be creative and find another reason if you won't pick one of those above.

• We are just having a practical and multiple look at the different aspects of the camera. I think its very useful for everybody. If then somebody would buy it or not has nothing to do with it. The more you know about it the less surprises you will experience. The fact that its difficult to focus and frame at daylight is a problem. Time will show if we find an acceptable solution for it. For now its sadly not very useful for documentary stuff definitely. Orbs after calibration would be a more serious issue. I hope it will not be confirmed. Lets keep on being critical with this camera and anything else, as we used to do always. An intelligent company will be very happy about our "free" testing/review opinions.

• @vcharris,

I have the 2.5k and have tried shooting on the bmpc, so i have experienced the strengths and limitations of each camera. 2.5k is by no means perfect. 10 bit 422 pro res aside, it's a hopelessly jello cam. BMPCC has its own set of problems, and enough has been said here and elsewhere. Honestly, given the present situation, what do you wanna do? What CAN you do? Sue BM for false advertising? i seem to remember when Sony advertised VG20, they mentioned the camera came with so many new fangled stuff, but when the actual product hit the market, the camera was stripped down to its basics. Did the buyers complain? Sure they did. Did they sue, not that i know of. Was Sony guilty of misleading the consumer? Your guess is as good as mine. Well at least BM delivered a product close to the specs. Anything else I am sure given its reputation can be rectified. What can be the worst case scenario? March up to their office and demand a refund? I have balls to do that, do you?