Personal View site logo
Olympus EM-5 topic
  • 386 Replies sorted by
  • Is there anybody here that has the pen ep5?

• Daylight - OMD EM5, Nightlight - GH2, Nokton 25mm, Nokton 17.5mm, Lumix 7-14mm, Lumix 12-35mm, Canon FD 50mm 1.2, Olympus 75mm 1.8, Olympus 12mm 2.0,Samyang 7.5mm 3.5

• Suggested settings for shooting video? Wich profile, how to set...

Yes, i've taken the Em5!

• I love this camera! Dial Sharpness to "-2". If you don't want grade the footage, use natural settings, 0,-2,0. Curve to normal. For grading: Natural, 0,-2,-2. Curve shadows +2, highlights -2.

Don't use superflat, it makes skin tone too orange.

• Thanks Act, i don't know if i want to do some CC and grading yet. But i think i will do something, to create a film look as possible. So: Natural, 0,-2,-2. Curve shadows +2, highlights -2 and no superflat. I've to take confidence with the menu :D

• Act, I'm not sure what you mean by 'superflat'. On my OMD EM5, I set Natural, Contrast -2, Sharpening -2, and Saturation to 0, but I leave the tone curves to default. Is this 'superflat'?

• No, that settings are normal flat. Superflat is: Contrast -2, Saturation -2. Curve shadows +4, highlights -4 (maximum). Not good for skin tone after grading.

• OMD gives film look at regular Natural settings, if you don't want make any CC, just keep sharpness -2. It makes lot of details at shadows and lights out of box. But, if you like less contrast you can try curve shadows +1, lights -1.

• Thanks Act. So you set your OMD to Contrast 0, but Curves to +2 Shadows and -2 Highlights. Is it possible to explain how is the result different compared to just leaving the Contrast at -2? I must say that that shaping the tone curves sounds like a better option and I wish I'd thought of doing that myself!

• @act

Yours are very professionally made videos. As an EM-5 owner how often do you face its codec limitations? Is it a huge pain or there are ways to get around it?

• +1, for the same question

• I notice problems with codec and bitrate with nature landscapes all-in-focus and flow water only. I use shallow DOF so much as I can, it minimize quantity of information at shot. Sharpness at -2 helps make it too. I always transcoding footage with Mpeg Streamclip to Avid DNxHD codec with bitrate 140 Mb/s 8 bit ( but for grading you can try 180 Mb/s 10 bit) I very surprised but I not feel codec limitations, and my clients and colleagues don't understand why I not use OMD all the time.

• Here is interesting real life test comparison; OMD vs 5Dmk3 at daylight, GH2 (Cluster 6, 24L) vs 5Dmk3 at night and party lights. Steadicam shots is Mark3, tracking shots with slider is OMD. I see huge aliasing problems with Canon, Sharpness on 5Dmk3 was at "0". I was surprised OMD looks better and sharper than 5Dmk3 with IPB.

• Thanks act, so happy with my new Om-d :D

• I've just order a Sandisk SDHC 45mb/s, 32gb. It could be enough :D

• @Akt > I was surprised OMD looks better and sharper than 5Dmk3 with IPB.< I'm not surprised, the OM-D is sharper than the 5D III and also still underestimated. who accepts 30p - the OM-D is awesome

• If only Olympus had implemented at least clean hdmi signal for external recorders the OM-D was a great alternative for video recording, but even with the codec limitation is a joy to use ;)

• Sorry Guys, where can i set curve shadows and lights? Can't find them XD Thanks

• Ok found it, it was fn2 button, but i change it to have the teleconvert 2x (useful in video). Fn1 it's my "focus peaking" button :D So great this camera

• I have some problem with 30p with mixed OMD + GH2 projects. I don't want crucify best quality of 24p that I get from GH2 at mixed projects. My editing always at Avid MC not allows me use HBR (25 or 29.97p) because it alway cut second field and 1080p25 video became less sharp than 720p50, so for me HBR 29.97p not acceptable too. I happy with 30p-23.976p rapid slow motion until I need use normal speed because of synced sound (voices). I save so lot of time because best stabilization, I use more lensed handheld that I never though use wit any other camera. So I switch to GH2 multicam ones at every shooting day when people start talking (ceremony etc.) But sometimes I have no time to switch all system, when something unexpected happens at events and I need sound and second camera for B-Cam and same framerate, and the same colors. I decided to buy EPL5 for this case. It only 3 axis stabilization, but I use second camera static.

• For me, i would like to ask how to catch the audio with simple and low budget solution, as the em5 does not have an external microphone output. I do not understand nothing about audio, but i wish could do something better than the internal microphone in my shorts. How to render then? Thanks

• @Renovatio Look for the Olympus SEMA-1 for OM-D, this is a accessory to put over the hot shoe of the OM-D or any PEN camera and let you to use external mics and it's come with the ME-51S microphone.

• So, there's an adapter to connect every mic (as the famous rode videomic?) to the om-d? It's great, but there's a but: is it better to have an external recorder (as can capture audio even a lot far from the camera), isn't it? I saw something about the zoom h1..as i said, i know nothing about audio, really poor clear information about it and i've just started to get some info on internet. The use? I want to take shorts, so something in home, but also something with wind and noise from ambient. Yeah, the budget it's almost over, and yeah, with an external recorder you have to put all together in post...but who cares. So what can you suggest at the end for a simple low budget "system"? Thanks