Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Holy crap, that does look like the last Star Trek! That crap really bothered me too. Flares and streaks all over the place. Sometimes when lights weren't even in the shot! I felt like I was taking acid!! But yeah, that guy nailed it. More funny stuff.

• Its becoming a real tragic comedy... but "what ya gonna do?" (Toni Soprano, when his mother died)

• Of course it does – he said it's a joke.

• @MRfanny

Looks like last Star Treck, flares on flares.

• this guy managed to fix it in post. amazing stuff!

• Damn those sequins.

cv_DSC_2012_500[1].jpg
    500 x 333 - 279K
  • apparently the 1960s Cult British TV series 'The Prisoner' was shot on an early prototype BMPCC!!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/96/Rover.jpg

Rover.jpg
    300 x 220 - 55K
  • Good news! J.J. Abrams will soon get tired of anamorphic flares and prefer black holes and white orbs! i.e. Star Wars....These cameras are gonna be HOT!! .... In the meantime, Fisher-Price has dibs on all the BMPCC sensors. They'll be using them in the Pixelvision 3000 :)

• @Imaginate That is awesome! Thanks for the laugh. Did you post that over on BMCuser? Try BM Forum! That would be fun!

• jajajajaja that's a good one @Imaginate

• hahahaahah ... well there you go ;)

• I don't know if this means anything but its a picture of the reception area of the sensor manufacturer ;)image

bm.jpg
    752 x 436 - 347K
  • Looks like what happened to the 7D when shooting in that crappy "cinestyle" log mode. Pretty sure it's caused by stretching the DR of the sensor to the max. No room for roll-off...

• Hey guys, I think something might be wrong with the BMPCC. Anyone have any examples? :-)

People focus too much on night shots with car headlights. This in only one situation of extremely overexposed lights. It appears also on other overexposed spots, like sun reflections on glas or metal, see my samples above. In the video when objects move it's much worse. Except this issue footage is awesome - but imho this issue makes this camera unsuitable for professional use. I hope there will be a fix...

• Headlights and street lights almost always blow and we get pretty stars and flares, not great big white circles that make the scene look like a cartoon.

• ahah @shian i had quietly thought that to myself and chuckled ....

• wow that car footage is really bad... the blooming, I mean. Maybe Phillip Bloom can find a way to market the camera using his name.

"Make your footage shine with: The Bloom Cam..."

Recovering shadow detail with these cameras is a no go... with the BMCC you have to aim for shadow exposure and let the highs blow (within range) and then recover in post. Under-exposed shadows get pretty ugly...

• To me its not big deal... if you tell enough people you did it on purpose like say "anamorphic lens flares" which have always been a side effect of the technology (at least before they were considered esthetically pleasing) maybe people will think....Oh yeah the light balls look awesome!!!!! And other cameras will have to have special adapters to shoot light balls as cool as yours... Own the balls... own em.

• @lmackreath

That does look like a huge problem.

• @ehr You can spend 2 minutes and look for the answer in previous pages of this post.
    Well... why bother? The answer is NO.

• "Goodness, Gracious, Great Balls of Fire!" -Jerry Lee Lewis

-Humorous break from the discussion. I normally write very serious posts...

Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 1.17.19 PM.png
    635 x 351 - 271K
    Screen Shot 2013-08-29 at 1.18.36 PM.png
    635 x 344 - 258K
  • I hate to say this but some of the clips that are extreme examples of blooming look as if they're shot that way intentionally; not all but some purposely overexposed to point out the problem. I'd like to see someone shoot with the BMPCC exposing for the highlights then recovering shadow detail in post. Let's see what that looks like. And rack focus to bring the source-light in detailed view. So far from what I've seen the "blooms" are overexposed and / or out of focus.

• Does the Back Magic Cinema Camera have the bloom problem?