Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • Hu. Just saw that the adobe camera raw plug in has no support for the G6 (yet, hopefully). http://helpx.adobe.com/creative-suite/kb/camera-raw-plug-supported-cameras.html

• Still testing my new G6, but so far I love it. Two things, thought: everytime I copy the video files to my mac and I delete them from the card and shoot again, the nect files starts again from number 0000, which is really anoying. Is any body having the same problem? The other thing is that I can not open the raw files in premiere or photoshop cs 5, even if I updated the camera raw plug in....

• I made some test shots with G6, and compiled it in a small movie, comments are wellcome:

Panasonic G6 + Olympus 45mm f1.8. 1080p-50p mp4 format- mostly standard settings... Some of the scenes were shot with tripod or monopod, some hand held, so some of the videos are shaky... SW used: Microsoft Movie Maker (sadly, it uses high compression, the original shots are more sharp and clear, + youtube is compressing it too... ) Focus modes used: AFS, AFF but mostly manual focus... In the last wasp and bee on flower scene extended tele conversion was used...

• Oooooh firmware released...

Here we go!

• That's great news, thank you! But I must admit I don't understand how shutter speed would affect frame rate. But this is probably the wrong thread for that follow up question.

• once it is hacked, there won't be any region problem don't worry. BTW you can use NTSC cam in PAL land just adjust your shutter speed accordingly and vice versa.

• Since there seems to be only one firmware to download I assume the region is not encoded in the firmware but set in another portion of the camera. Will it be possible to unlock the 60 FPS mode in a hacked firmware? Or will regions persist and frame rates locked to multipliers of respective regions?

• In this case they should send the decrypted firmware directly to Vitaliy_Kiselev :)

• poor sales maybe? Perhaps if hacked it would drive more GH2 users over to it?

• It is amazing Panasonic has released a firmware update so soon. :-o

Maybe they WANT it to be hacked? ;-)

• Yes! I knew that eye sensor problem would have to be addressed via firmware at some point.

• Great news!!

• stupendous !!!!

• I don't want to sound too demanding, but is there any rough eta when that might happen? A month, 6 months, even more?

It'll happen as soon as it'll be possible.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I don't want to sound too demanding, but is there any rough eta when that might happen? A month, 6 months, even more?

• will you be collecting donations specifically for G6 and GF6?

After GH3 dumping completion and some progress on reversing only.

• Good news indeed, G6 has some serious video potential.

@Vitaliy_Kiselev, will you be collecting donations specifically for G6 and GF6?

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev

How high is G6 on the hack priority list?

• @o2warp

This is really good news.

• G6 Firmware update

http://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/download/index.html

2013/08/27

Ver. 1.1

1. Connection problem with Apple Mac computers via Wi-Fi is fixed.(G6,GF6)

2. Stability of automatic display switch (LVF/LCD) in response to the Eye Sensor is improved.(G6)

• Shot this movie with the G6 for the 48 hour movie project Rotterdam last weekend. Lenses used: Panasonic 14-42, Olympus 45mm f1.8, Voigtlander25mm f0.95 (spoken in dutch)

• Yeh I had this same problem with Lightroom 4.3, it turns out the raw converter in Lightroom is baked in so I have to upgrade to Lightroom 5 if I want to process any G6 raw files. Really frustrating as I'm used to just shooting RAW and forgoing JPEGS.

Here's a video from my first day with the G6, saw these guys rehearsing in the park so it was a perfect opportunity to take some test footage. I'm finding the G6 handles really well, such a joy to use.

Standard picture profile - 24P AVCHD - 14-42mm kit lens - AF & IS On - quick magic bullet looks grade.

You can see a bit of rolling shutter, I had the shutter speed set quite high IIRC - certainly nowhere near 1/50.

• @Badilla:

I had this situation too. Apparently the latest versions of Camera Raw do not work with CS5. AFAIK there are two options:

• use the free Adobe DNG Converter (version 8.1) to convert G6 raw files to DNG before opening them in CS5.

• update to CS6 or newer to be able to use Camera Raw 8.1 directly with G6 files.

If anyone knows a way of getting Camera Raw 8.1 to work with CS5, that info would be much appreciated.