Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Yep, as you wrote: RAW.

• phone call from my dealer 10mins ago: camera arrived, we will ship today. (bpm Hamburg) YEAH! I ordered immediately still during NAB.

• It sucks! I have the same dealer, but they only got 1 camera dispatched and that was for you I guess...

• no, it does not suck ;-) Be generous to achieve some karma benefit.

• @gameb @peaceonearth

You have 40 guys getting email with this fascinating talk :-)

• @gameb @peaceonearth

I am number 13 on BPM's list (ordered and paid: April 29).... seems to be the unlucky number.... patience needed to achieve good Karma...... however there seem to be quite some people in line behind me....

Hans

• Hi @Vitaliy hope you are managing to enjoy your "holiday" a bit :) there are probably quite a few folks here that are eagerly awaiting their pocket cameras that may arrive quite soon (maybe not that soon?) I am very interested in what you said about "Why BM will die soon" I do not want to interrupt your break and well earned rest, just saying that I for one am very keen to find out your views when you feel rested, thanks :)

• @Nieuw ordered on 9th of April

• @gameb @peaceonearth My Pocket Cam was shipped last friday and I recieved it on monday (also ordered from BPM Hamburg).

• Anyone who's got their pocket cam really happy with it? I had one on order but got shaken by some of the footage and the crop factor so now bought a BMCC, but not cancelled the pocket cam yet! Want to see if can convincingly use my remaining GH2 as B cam to the BMCC and if not will sell and keep pocket cam as B cam. Exciting times! confusing times!

• The first few clips I shot looked really nice. The footage does need some sharpening and of course a lot of grading to make it look even better, but all in all, I like it very much. Crop factor is a bit of a problem, I'm not getting as wide as I want to with my Tokina 11-16mm. But I think a Speed Booster should solve all problems on that front.

Other than that, I'm really pleased. The dynamic range is awesome! And there's a hell lot of information in the highlights, even with ProRes!

• @belfryman

I used to obsess over the sensor size of these but lensing and exposure control make a huge difference. ND + larger aperture lets you regain a more cinematic feeling DOF with a MFT or BMD's sensor sizes. When in doubt, forget about the test footage and punditry you see here and other DSLR sites and look to what DPs like Harris Savides can do with an even smaller sensor camera:

...that's from a 2/3" sensor, in the Thomson Viper. It's smaller than the BMPCC's sensor. Nobody here is shooting on that level. Savides could have talked Fincher out of shooting on that format if the result was going to be so un-cinematic as to be a mistake (and who wouldn't think so, given how bad Michael Mann's films shot on the same camera look?). But it doesn't scream video camera or un-cinematic at all. It sits rather comfortably alongside his other digitally-acquired films shot on RED.

• wiki "Fincher employed the digital Thomson Viper Filmstream camera to photograph the film, however Zodiac was not shot entirely digitally; traditional high-speed film cameras were used for slow-motion murder sequences."

• Which amount to seconds in a feature length motion picture. Wow.

• @driftwood loved the rawhide clip; the young Clint Eastwood as Rowdy Yates. Look forward to a rolling shutter shootout.

• Anyone still determined to obsess over sensor size, despite a host of far more constraining production limitations (e.g., amateur writing? bad performances? less than stellar production values?), just repair here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Films_shot_in_Super_16

There's also the not small number of low budget FF features which are out of focus. When shooting cheap and fast, DOF is usually welcome.

• Nice. Some of those movies (really a number of them) I had no idea they were smaller than 35mm.

• @BurnetRhoades
    Actually Harris Savides "could" because he died early this year ;o)

Zodiac is a great example, as "Benjamin Button", that was shot with the very same camera and it pushes it ahead since he "mimics"/emulates several film stocks through the movie. I´ve watched in a theater and it blew me away! Can´t get more "cinematic" than that! Cheers

• Checked out Phillip Bloom's pre-review video and excited to see the rest of it. The audio monitors get me, though. How could they not have that?

• Yes, he "was" my favorite living DP. I was very sad to read of his passing. It didn't matter what format he shot on, the result was fantastic.

In addition to his work on the Viper folks should also look at other DP's work with the SI2K, a small format camera who's imagery is featured in films like Slumdog Millionaire.

The Super 16 stuff is a great reference too. In addition to films you have fairly cinematic programs like The Walking Dead still shot on the format. I don't like how it looks broadcast but it's quite nice looking on BD.

• @SuperSet I think what people keep forgetting is that some people like PB(and I happen to like PB) are getting early preproduction models or I suspect the (hurry up and get it out the door ASAP)model so BMD can SAY "we shipped in July!"... of the camera.... I am sure that by the time our actual cameras ship next year around Xmas -- we will have audio meters and few other little issues resolved , like that whole RAW thing they promised...remember that?

• hey hey. Some of the best looking films over the last few years were shot on s16..

I can see why sensor size would be a concern for those who have limited means to get quality optics (are heavily invested in optics for larger sensors).

For cinematography, though, sensor size is not a major factor. If you compare film and digital, there is actually a bigger difference in-between s16 and s35 (given the very clear texture differences) though it can be hard to spot with certain stocks. In between a s16 and s35 sized digital sensor, the differences are much smaller. Obviously there might be differences in texture but they might be nearly identical.. detail (the amount or lack thereof) won´t necessarily give away the sensor size. Images can be made to look one way or another.

Optically, the differences need not be noticable at all, and you have the possibility of shooting with a normal DOF at lower light levels (or lower sensitivity) with the smaller sensor.. which is much more useful for moving images than having the possibility to shoot extremely shallow DOF on full frame..

In my opinion micro four thirds (or thereabouts) is a perfect all round size for a digital sensor for moving images as it strikes a fine balance between the possible looks that can be had and the amount of light needed to obtain good results.

If you need a sword you need a sword, if you need a knife you need a knife and if you need an axe you need an axe.

The pocket cam will be a tremendous knife.

• Specially for you, that have nightmares with that thing called "crop-factor":

For those not even interested in the BMPCC, the hot girl in the video is worth it.

• The BMPCC footage did not look good in that video. The GH3 actually looked the best IMO.