Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Unboxing video:

Video kinda sucks actually, but you get to see the cam and stuff.

• @Driftwood IMO....T7 blew it away in the shots above. I suspect after post they'll swap ends but out of camera, I'll take a little less shadow detail for the overall image.

• I'll soon post some night shots and color chart exposure tests too.

• Driftwood took the words outta my mouth. That's pretty close.

• LOL, moon T7 doin' well against the RAW'sters I see!

• Funny... you could actually see the curtain in the window below from the BMPC shot vs just blackness in the GH-2 shot.

• Lens test thread opened under "Lenses".

First test of dynamic range at daytime. The BMPCC shows considerably more detail in the shadows when I expose both just before clipping in the white clouds. GH2 was shot with Moon T7 and "Standard" -2-2-1-2.

(Yes, I know there was a reflection). Nightime and charts to follow.

Tag_GH2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 247K
    Tag_BMPCC.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 250K
  • Our team's BMPCC is being prepped for shipment, it is at my retailer, but I am off shooting so it will be delayed. I could have had it tomorrow but teleportation to inflight airplanes is still experimental.

• Since I'm currently testing a lot of lenses on the BMPCC, I'll open a separate thread for those.

Stay tuned, I just need to finish my review of the Sony F55 and lenses first.

• @nomad Thanks for your unbiased information. Keep'em comming!

• @kazuo

I used to own a GH2 for specialty shots, but I since gave it to my wife for her to film our son during sports. I have used digicon filters back when they first came out several years back on a Sony F950 while shooting a national Comcast commercial. Tho I haven't used the two together I've shot enough using both tools to know what the image would look like. I did read your full context.

• More BMPCC footage from wooden camera that I quickly graded...

• @Brian202020

Have you used a GH2 with Century Optics' digicon filters? Have you seen any of such footage acquired? Do you know what a digicon filter does? Pl read my comment in its full context.

• Isn't that guy on this board? His username looks familiar.

• Seems legit. Looks good, but overly sharpened in my eyes.

• @kazuo

hey there fellow singapore member. is the wait that long from The Media Village? i ordered mine off bhphotovideo the day it was announced.

• @philiplipetz Which PL glass do you have? Zeiss/Arri Superspeeds?

Both cameras have massive rolling shutter, but the BMPCC (right) has a bit less:

RS_GH2.jpg
    1079 x 1079 - 274K
    RS_BMPCC.jpg
    1080 x 1080 - 294K
  • @nomad. We are going to try our team's PL cine glass on it, as well as S16 lenses.

• @philiplipetz I'll compare a lot of vintage glass, plus some Panny, Oly, Voigt and SLRM.

@ _gl No RAW yet.

• @nomad. Shooting in Munich in a few weeks love to get together and compare glass on this thing,. We should have ours before then.

• @nomad, cool - so is it shipping with RAW? Lossless and/or lossy?

• I'll share as much as my publishers will allow.

• @nomad Please share any comparisons, it is interesting to compare the dynamic range\highlight rolloff, detalization in ProRes and hacked gh2

• OK folks, bad news ;-)

The BMPCC outresolves the GH2! It has less luma moiré and just some chroma. RS is pretty bad, testing the difference tomorrow.

I started my tests for DP (Munich) today, I'm holding a test sample for just a few days. Used my best Zeiss C/Y lenses on both and Moon T7 on the GH2 (of course). BTW, the BMPCC works with lesser cards, a 45 MB/s Sandisk Extreme (not Pro) is fine. Light is going down here, don't wonna drive to the studio today, so no more rez tests. But I'm gonna try a ton of (S-)16 glass on it.

Charging it now, later I will go out for some night shots.