Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • I just got a notice from videoguys.com.au that they are ready to ship my order

• @markr041 The clip was not in anyway intended to be final polished product, perhaps it I should have made that more clear.

"By Way Of Cuba" (

) was intended as a piece of test footage to examine how well the BMPCC handles detail, aliasing and moire when compared to a hacked GH2. Hence the use of the high quality Zeiss Glass. I note that even after the footage was downsized to 720p and mangled by Vimeo's compression the windings on the piano strings are quite discernible, with a minimum of aliasing and when I examine the footage closely I cannot make out much moire at all despite the crisscross of the strings against their shadows.

The audio in the clip was from the BMPCC internal mic at the default settings and was not considered to be part of the testing.

My personal view is that the BMPCC and the Zeiss 9.5mm Super Speed Mk I make a great match, does anyone disagree?

If anyone has comments on the moire or lack thereof I would be interested to hear them.

• @vicharris Aren't you the one who was selling their bmpcc preorder? Did you sell that and order and then order another or did you keep the order?

• @DocoDocoMan Image detail looks very good in this video. The only issue I'm seeing with moire/aliasing is a super-small almost imperceptible type of static/movement on the strings. Not sure if that is considered moire, but I think that's right. I was looking for it and still had to squint when looking on a 17" display, and even then I wasn't so sure if I was really seeing something. Image quality of BMPCC with Zeiss seems very good. Maybe not the most "cinematic" or "film-like", but it's very clean, and I'm sure it would be a different look if the lighting was setup differently for a narrative shoot, and then graded in editing. Thanks for posting.

• @Azo Please read this thread and the one about lenses on the BMPCC first, you should get most of your questions answered. You are welcome to ask further questions here any time.

BTW, 16mm is not wide on that camera, it is 'normal'. Even 10mm is just moderately wide.

• Ergh. My tekserve experience was not-so-good. I placed my order yesterday shortly after @vicharris and the pre-charge showed up on my credit card, but I got no confirmation email. Since the item still showed as "in stock" this morning, I called and they said their inventory count is off and that they're sold out of them. It always takes a few days for credit card authorizations to clear. Very annoying. Anyway, the point is tekserve are out. Don't believe their site when it says "in stock."

• @Stylze. Well seeing as how I'm unable to cancel my preorder from B&H, yep, I still have one on order from them. Just got another notice in this morning that it's still not in stock. I'll keep it and sell it for retail price I guess no need to try and make a profit like most people are doing but I hace zero faith in B&H right now

• I really impressed by The One movie, and it make me thinking again about this camera, I have wide choice MFT lenses. But... I'd like to see more ungraded footage with normal (not flat preset) with nice natural colors. Not all footage that I make with GH2 go to grade, and I very like GH2's out from camera picture without need to grade. There are many situations where we want nice out of camera picture. No teal-orange, no Captain Hook, no work over night at DaVinci at deadline.

• My favorite BMCC footage I've seen so far. So much of what I've seen on the web is either really flat/dull or overly contrasty/saturated. This has that in between feeling I'm after most of the time.

• I would like to have a speed booster for mft which squeezed the light for the bmpcc sensor to get the intended focal length and more light. So I could use my old lenses like I'm used to do on the GH2. Does anyone know if something like that is being developed or is it any technical problems with the concept?

This might be an old question, but I haven't seen any answers to it.

• @Alfaerik
    You can try on these threads:
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6753/mitakon-lens-turbo-speed-booster-analog-available
    http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5770/metabones-lens-speed-booster-adapter-focal-reducer/p1
    MFT Speed Booster is already available for Nikon, Leica R and Contax glass.
    Nothing ready yet for FD, MD, OM, PK, M42 or other legacy glass.

• @Flaaandeeers Thanks for the reply. I know about these threads. But my question was specificly about the bmpcc because the adapters you listed is from different mounts to mft. I'm looking for a adapter for mft lenses to the mft bmpcc. I'm looking for something that makes the image from my mft lenses smaller to fit the bmpcc sensor.

• @Alfaerik

Such thing does not exist.

• I have some really boring and bland prores film log footage I can send to someone or throw up for download. Like I said, it is nothing to shake a stick at. Whisper1 and I were just testing FOV with lenses on his camera. I'll have one on monday and plan to do so driving and cool footage on the PCH in LA and Malibu. Should have some decent stuff from there for people to play with. Might have a speedbooster to play with too if a few of my checks ever come in.

• @Alfaerik

You can't make an adapter with the same mounts on both sides. As soon as you do that, you change the flange distance. Do a little research on adapters and flange distance and you'll see what were talking about and how only certain mounts can be made to work with certain mounts....if that makes sense.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Yes, I do know it doesn't exist. But my question was if anyone knew if such a thing is being developed or if there is any technical obstacles that prevents it from being done (focal distance or so. I can't see what the problem would be myself). Anyway, I think it would be a great thing to have.

• @vicharris Ok, I get the point. That's what I was asking for. Thanks!

• @eatstoomuchjam

Bummer dude. I wonder if I bought the last one they had? Mines sitting a FedEx location 10 miles from my home so I know they at least had that one. Well, you can always wait till 2014 when B&H gets around to filling their orders! JK

• @vicharris I'll be interested in playing with that footage Vic.
    I'm still debating whether to get a BMPCC in Nov (when a friend is going to US) if it's actually available by that time, or just wait and stick to my GH2 for now.
    ProRes looks sooo nice to play with in Resolve vs the instant macroblocking of AVCHD.

• @vicharris Aside from the fact that we're in "long Jewish holidays season", I don't blame B&H at all for the delay. They receive the same amount of cameras as any other reseller (which is very few per shipment) and have a much much longer pre-order list than anyone else. And they can't quote a time for shipment because apparently BMD lets them know the day before they should expect an order and the amount per shipment are never the same. I ordered from B&H because I expected somewhat of a priority given they are such a big company, big mistake. Cancelled my pre-orders and now like everyone else I'm hoping to get it sooner via a smaller retailer (which is annoying because none of these companies are listed on BMD's site)

• I am in whirlwind with what to do now... do I cancel the pocket and sell the few accessories I bought???(I actually prepaid so B&H already has my money) Do I get the MFT BMCC even though the passive mount blows?. (I also then need to then buy more glass). Do I get an EF mount and just get the Rokinon Cine's whislt switch photo platform to Canon(I need to also keep some platform for photography)? Do I just get a Gh3 and hope the hack comes?.... I may have a neuron implosion.

• Don't feel bad, Surrender.

I have an EF, MFT, and Pocket Camera and I could not tell you which one that you should buy. The price drop makes it an even more difficult decision.

=] Sorry, that probably didn't help.