Personal View site logo
Panasonic GX7 aka GX2, with IBIS topic
  • 499 Replies sorted by
  • @mjfan Panasonic is not claiming that - this was said by rumors before the camera release.

Probably will have G6 quality (exactly same video modes) or slightly better, but far from GH3.

• They added Highlight/Shadow adjustment. A few weeks ago I was complaining on this forum that Panasonic should implement curve adjustment in firmware.

Maybe they read this forum? If they (you) do, big thanks! Looking forward to trying this when GX7 is in the stores.

Now, about replacing that low-bitrate 8bpc codec with a professionally convenient, high-bitrate 10bpc one… ;) Hope there's even more to expect in GH5.

• Wired magazine have a nice writeup on the GX7.

http://www.wired.com/gadgetlab/2013/08/panasonic-lumix-gx7/

The Panasonic Lumix GX7 is the latest camera in the GX line. Its predecessor is the Lumix GX1 from 2011, and this new body is apparently such an upgrade that Panny was able to skip over five whole version numbers. The 16-megapixel GX7 looks sharp, both in terms of aesthetics and specs. There have been a couple of Sony NEX cameras with built-in electronic viewfinders, but the Lumix GX7 is the first mirrorless camera I’ve seen with a 90-degree tilting built-in eyepiece. That goes along with its 3-inch tilting touchscreen, which isn’t the only way to dial in exposure adjustments; the GX7 has a physical mode dial and wheels for adjusting settings.

• @duartix How is the megapixel count for video calculated?

@pizza4D: It's not. According to IR, apparently Panasonic disclaimed it.

On video, the sensor is either subsampled, binned, cropped or a combination of both. While on the G6 blocks of pixels were binned (2x2 according to IR, but shouldn't it be 2x3?), on the GX7 they are binning lines instead (4x1).

This line binning makes some sense, as you can skip lines to make readout faster, but in the end, IQ comes down to how many pixels you are binning, and 4 is clearly worse than 6 (considering similar pixel sizes).

• ISO 25600 sample photo looks fine.

• reposting as it seems my message got lost during the server migration :
    Can someone who goes to a gx7 presentation in the UK can look if the focus assist zoom function works during recording ?
    Txs

• I have a few days play on a pre-production model next wednesday. Lookout for the video.

• Can't wait to see your take!

The GX7 will be the new high ISO king over Sony made M43 sensor if comparing over the E-P5 iso test from the same site. I have a feeling that the next GH model will use tweaked GX7 sensor.

The GH3 and their Sony sensor looks like a one off purchase because their own sensor is not ready in time.

• This is an updated preview showing the IBIS OFF WHEN IN VIDEO MODE, hope this changes in final release.

• I think that this 2-axis IBIS design could have some problem with video, since all the Pens from Olympus (that also have a 2-axis IBIS) don't activate IBIS in video mode.

• e-photozine review is up, as usual they use pre-production as final review

The Panasonic Lumix GX7 offers some unique new features, including an extremely high resolution tilting electronic viewfinder, a high resolution 3inch tilting touch screen, as well as built in sensor-shift image stabilisation. In addition to this, the camera comes with new creative effects, highlight / shadow tone adjustment, high speed 9fps continuous shooting, as well as 4.2fps continuous shooting with AF, built in flash, and a high shutter speed of 1/8000th of a second.

The GX7 offers an extremely compelling package, with excellent build quality, a stylish design, and a number of ways to customise the operation of the camera. In camera image stabilisation is an excellent addition, particularly for those who like to switch between different lens manufacturers, or for those that have lenses without optical image stabilisation built in.

http://www.ephotozine.com/article/panasonic-lumix-dmc-gx7-expert-review-22581

gx.jpg
    800 x 584 - 129K
  • http://www.techradar.com/us/reviews/cameras-and-camcorders/cameras/digital-slrs-hybrids/panasonic-gx7-1168602/review/4#articleContent

'The Panasonic Lumix GX7 introduces a truly unique experience thanks to the tilting electronic viewfinder, and with a new sensor the camera delivers excellent image quality, with particularly impressive noise performance beating the previous class leader at high ISO settings.' ePhotozine

http://news.dphotographer.co.uk/news/panasonic-launch-the-gx7/

• I'm keen to try this. I thought the Panasonic rep was underplaying the IQ in the Driftwood vid.

• the GX7 will have NO video stabilization, only for photos. way to go panasonic....slowling falling behind olympus shadow.

• the GX7 will have NO video stabilization, only for photos. way to go panasonic....slowling falling behind olympus shadow.

Hmm, with Olympus it was the same until firmware upgrade :-)

• I'd love to have the IBIS working in the GX7 for video, but if I have to choose between good image x IBIS, image quality wins. I love the OM-D for the IBIS and exceptional photo quality (and looks, I must admit), but the codec problems in scenes with of lot of detail makes me prefer (at theory, no serious video testing with the GX7 yet) the GX7.

The video of ePhotozine shows a lot of pixelation in the water, though. Could be Youtube compression, could be the settings in the camera, but makes me worry a little. Let's wait for more tests.

• Also, some video about the OMD seems not so bad:

• @Renovatio under certain circustances, it's not bad at all. But look at Andrew's review below (he made the first video above) and look the "mud" topic. That is the problem of OM-D / E-P5, at least for me.

http://www.eoshd.com/content/8565/olympus-om-d-e-m5-review

If the OM-D had a stronger codec, I'll buy it instantly (maybe I could already buy one in the end of the year, but for photos). If this is not a issue for you, than go ahead - it's a very good camera.

• You have a pm

• Was shooting PHOTOS in one event with GH2 + manual lens. I'm having now second thought that should I despite no IBIS in video etc. get GX7 after all. Because focus peaking would be so much help when shooting photos in manual mode. Or should I get used OM-D for cheap.

Looks like there is no good compromise to get good video AND photo camera in same package.