Personal View site logo
Driftwood Cluster X series 3:│moon T7│ЅріzZ T6│Nebula T7│Drewnet T9│
  • 1811 Replies sorted by
  • @dado023 Simply stops recording. Files larger than the 4GB are not possible due to the FAT32 file system used. If spanning were possible as with '95' cards then you could end with a series of contiguous 4GB files. These are combined in the NLE to one large file or viewed as one file using in camera playback.

Sanity 5.1 spanned correctly on '45' cards as per the basic Panasonic update

• @callan when you say no spanning, do you mean it will stop recording, or it will record in files larger than 4GB, because i dont mind huge files :)

• @dado023 have tried DrewnetT9 on '45' SD cards with some success. Record and playback work in camera but no spanning. Perfect on '95' cards.
    Latest flowmotion & redshift are OK on '45' cards, but again no spanning. Awaiting an improved Redshift with keen interest.
    Only tested 720P & 1080i PAL

Don't forget that these hacks are pushing the on board camera processing to the limits and there are production tolerances to consider. As end users there is trial & error and fair amount of luck. Despite the amount of work put in I doubt Driftwood has any control over these tolerances.
    Some GH2 cameras are simply better than others hence our experiences differ.
    Best of luck.

• @dado023 moon trial 7 & is not about low bitrates - it was never my intention but to reproduce the highest artifact free encode that I could. Subsequently, moon T7 isn't very good on the L modes because of the quantiser arrangement and requires a constant high datarate and the very best SD cards.

Low bitrates for Intra simply don't work. I would suggest moon T5 where the rate is much more variable with its Q16 rate control or a Longer GOP like Nebula or DREWnet where the bitrate drops dramatically because of their prediction sampling with p/b frames. These should work better on sdxc cards.

• @driftwood yes see screenshots here,..it shows 23.976 everywhere,..if i convert it to 24 frames its loosing its audio track and getting converted without audio. yes let me know if there is a change? @tymeorama i feel i am facing same problem. lets wait for a solution.

after convertion.jpg
    1390 x 1440 - 441K
    while converting.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
  • would it be possible to reduce bittrate on Moont T7, to for example 60Mbits? so i can use it on my class10 SDXC card? ... you would probably ask "but why", because i assume "all I frame" is much easier to handle in any video editor, right?

• @Maya Its a timing trick to get it to 24 in ptools. I haven't had time to fully check if it is true or not - most readers show 24 frames, whereas the popular transcoders like you have found Clipwrap and 5dtorgb show 23.976. I will investigate further early next week.

• @Azo 5D raw is not a cool one, in fact many footages from Vimeo looks awkward when it comes to color reproduction , detail in post 5D raw is not comparable to RED Scarlet even in 2K modes. GH2 Moon T7 is super cool in post I am using SetD. But @driftwood Borg SetD and setE is showing 23.976 in 5dtorgb and clipwrap. What shld I do???

• @driftwood and the others: I shot with moon t7 set e last evening. I was wondering when the screen dramatically changed his color after pushing the rec botton. I know thats quite normal in a similar way but the screen preview looked so munch better..after pushing the rec button everything was greenish and not so flat in balanced in the colors as it was on none record mode. I used smooth all at -2. any ideas?

• The news from GOP3 expert, Katsu, AKA @bkmcwd is that 'Spizz T6' is beginning to look really sweet :-) Can't wait for his final setting.

• I disagree, ML RAW when handled correctly (workflow thru ACR/After Effects and straight out export ) is very good. Its the DNG import implementation in Davinci Resolve that is not 100% compatible with Canon ML RAW reading incorrectly. There are numerous RAW2DNG / RAWmagic / other apps appearing which is improving the debayer. Indeed, the ML fellas are busy writing their own MLR wrapper.

• @azo If you look at the Canon 5DIII raw footage it still looks not good. Hate that reddish tone on Canon cameras. And you are right, there is no point comparing these to camera because they are in two different worlds.

• No. No. No. We're talking about the h264 codec in the 5DMKIII. Guys rest assured the GH2 encoder is much better than the Canon 5DMKIII (and other Canons) and with the Cluster X settings even better. Magic Lantern RAW is an entirely different thing. I am currently looking into ways of improving the 5DMKIII h264 - just needs different approach.

• @driftwood what is idynamics and how it helps in low mode on 24p?? what about iR mode??

• @Maya

what about Moon T7 does it performs over 5D mark III ?? (i dont have a Mark III to compare footage thats why i am asking this)<

I appreciate and empathize with you on your enthusiasm about the Moon T-7 patch, but I think you are going little overboard. The 5D Mark III with ML is a full frame camera that is basically shooting raw! There is plenty of footage on Vimeo that will illustrate just how good it is. I apologize if I am coming off the wrong way but I really don't think that it is fair comparison.

• @driftwood Moon T7 SetD is it really 24 frames? see screenshots here its 23.976 only. i cant get 24 frames output out of it. when i tried the audio was muted more over every software i tried in this process showed it in a different way. please let me know what i should do to keep it always in 24frames from camera to conversion to fcp.

after convertion.jpg
    1390 x 1440 - 441K
    Before Conversion.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 825K
    while converting.jpg
    2560 x 1440 - 1M
  • @driftwood what about Moon T7 does it performs over 5D mark III ?? (i dont have a Mark III to compare footage thats why i am asking this)

• @lovefilm82 what lens u used and what was the profile?? footage looks good,..

• My sleep is never quite so splendid as when it is preceded by the stellar footage of someone's lusciously detailed backyard shot hand-held and in semi-focus on Driftwood's quasi-RAW settings... zzzzzZZZZZ

• Hi, I have been following for awhile now.. am an amateur as just started out a year ago and have been a fan of Quantum V9b, then Sedna slapped me round the face and now Moon T7 has knocked me out mate!! Just amazing, congrats to you @driftwood ...what work and research.. T7 is just what i've hoped to happen. Thanks Nick.

• @Maya "finally GH2 is getting digital film standard."

Right? I continue to be impressed by the footage coming out of my little $600 camera. I've never seen any of my footage look so much like film, especially with Film Convert added. I'm loving being able to 'shoot on Vision 3 film stock'.

• @maya 8bit doesn't even grade like 10bit, so how does 8bit grade almost like RAW? I know what you are trying to say and it's more or less possibly even sarcasm, but we do need to keep things realistic to some degree.
    Has driftwood made the gh2 quite possibly the best 8bit camera (the ML canon stuff doesn't count)...I would say so, or its a damn close call. c300 and c100 also should not count in this contest lol Canon knows for a fact those cameras should have been 10 bit, or they just assumed everyone would use an external recorder/monitor anyways

Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters