Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • If you guys actually look at that info you've posted it says it writes RAW at 63MB/s, so there's your answer.

It doesn't matter. There are many SSD's that should be plenty fast enough to work with the BMCC and Hyperdeck Shuttle, but I found out the hard way that If it's not on the supported list it might not work. I recommend waiting for the supported SD list.

• I was doing some research into the number of preorders on this and thought I would tell people that there is something like 5,500 preorders on the east coast of the us alone. So this may be one of those things where you are waiting up to or more than a year to get one. I was going to preorder from canada from b&h but they charge international orders immediately so I won't be preordering at all.

• So it's no more than 63mb/s across all the RAW flavours?

• @Toronto

I don't know anything but I'm guessing after the huge mess of the EF mount then BM wouldn't want to repeat that again. Don't forget the problem was never how quickly they could make the camera but how quickly they could get sensors from a third party. I'm guessing with his new sensor they aren't going to have the same problem again. I admit I'll be the first to groan if they trickle out like the EF version, but I have a hunch BM are using this as a turnaround in their image in this area. Call me naive but I think they are going to surprise everyone positively with how they ship the pocket.

• @Toronto

Just curious - Did the dealers actually tell you how many pre-orders they have?

• B&H reconfirming 7/25 availability date via Instagram:

http://instagram.com/p/b3l6vPA8XB/#

• it's getting time that BMD will ship the camera and this discussion here will come back to facts and footage instead making sth. up out of thin air

• i asked my local store where i would be on the waiting list and they said 50th lol i am now 3rd on another stores pre order =)

• @Peaceonearth I'm petty sure no one is making anything up, just harmless speculation and reports from different sources.

I personally would trust BHphoto, they know what happened in the past and aren't going to want to say an expected date unless they have been given some reassurance. Yes this is speculation but its also quite likely looking at the situation.

• Maybe I'm transparent :-)

The most used UW lens for m43 is the beloved 7-14. 7 (aka 14mm) is the bare minimum underwater. Actually this lens is corrected in camera. How will it be on bmpcc? Another typical us lens is the 8mm fisheye with a 180° FOV. How will it be on a 3x camera?

• Well obviously it's going to be cropped, but the 3x crop if I'm not mistaken is based on a 'FULL Frame' like a 5D. I could hunt around for numbers but expect a crop, but the 7-14 will still be decently wide, but the the fish eye while it will lose some of the distortion will still look like a less distorted fish eye. Have a look at John Brawleys pocket footage on Vimeo to get an idea of what to expect. Personally the whole wide thing is overrated, work with tighter shots and make something wonderful with that limitation. That's the non technical answer, others can give you stats I'm sure..

On the in camera correction I'm not sure about the lenses you mentioned, but I don't see any problem with the 12-35mm and 14-46mm Panasonic lenses...

• @jimmykorea I agree 100per cent use its size as an advantage and step back heck you could gaffer tape it to the wall... Not many cinematographers will use a really wide lens because of how it extends a room and changes perspectives unless the look is desired... It is very easy to get a wide with a normal lens for me the voigtlander 17.5mm and the Olympus 12mm will be more then enough. Full frame I love to use a 35mm for wides and even 50mm just get as far back as you can.... I know it's not always possible but then that's sometimes a blessing. Like shooting film over digital certain limitations breed greater creativity.

Don't think of it as a 3x crop think of it as super16mm think of the hurt locker.. Black Swan... The wrestler... Moonrise Kingdom... Classic documentaries etc. Etc.

• it's interesting that I think the use of sweeping wide screen shots is far less used IMHO in mainstream cinema. 15 years ago if you loved movies you bought the WIDESCREEN!!! version. These days, possibly due to the influence of TV shows like CSI, use of mobile devices etc your just as likely to see movies that are composed primarily of quick moving tight shots e.g Hunger Games, Bourne movies etc. Of course wide shots are often essential, but they really are used sparingly, establishing shots etc. In my mind all you got to do it step back, or use another cam like the GH2 for that shot. I honesty thought some of the shots JB did on the coastline were perfectly good wide shots.

Ultimately people who bought this camera as their A cam need to be realistic that they aren't going to be shooting the next IMAX Batman movie. It is however a movie camera so your only limited by your creativity, blah blah blah...etc....

• I'm interested in underwater use.... Maybe I'm transparent :-)

@all I recall underwater (@LongJohnSilver "UW", you didn't mean "ultra wide" did you?) there's a compression factor due to shooting through the water of 25%. So no matter how lovely your wide angle is shooting through air it's going to look 25% tighter underwater. I believe this is what @LongJohnSilver is referring to, he's just in another medium and the rest of us are still thinking "on shore". Let's hope he'll fill the land-lovers in ;-)

• Just got an email update from registering for BMD event in LA on July, 25th. The schedule:

"Thank you for registering for the Blackmagic Design event on Thursday July 25th at the Marriott Burbank Airport Hotel, Academy Ballroom 1, 2500 N Hollywood Way in Burbank, CA.

This event will run from 11:00 AM – 7:00 PM. In addition to the demonstration area we will be having theater presentations throughout the day.

THEATER SCHEDULE
    11:30 Avid Media Composer 7
    12:00 DaVinci Resolve 10
    12:30 Autodesk Smoke 2013
    1:00 Break
    1:30 Apple Final Cut Pro X
    2:00 Blackmagic Cinema Camera
    2:30 Adobe Creative Cloud
    3:00 Break
    3:30 Avid Media Composer 7
    4:00 DaVinci Resolve 10
    4:30 Autodesk Smoke 2013
    5:00 Break
    5:30 Apple Final Cut Pro X
    6:00 Blackmagic Cinema Camera
    6:30 Adobe Creative Cloud

There will also be displays from hardware solution providers PNY, AMD, ATTO, Magma, Accusys and Cubix ."

No specific mention to the pocket camera.... hmm...

• Does anyone really need the dynamic range for a lot of under water shooting? surely most viewers just want crisp contrasty HD images with a deep depth of field. (No pun...)

• @Wilbo i would assume they would both be lumped together like in many of the videos at NAB and things like that they always seem to talk about both.. and both got announced at the same time, im sure more people must have pre-ordered and are awaiting more info/footage on the pocket cam.

• @jimmykorea from your reply I understand you are a all-round-opinionist. Could I ask you the bolognese spaghetti recipe? If you know nothing about UW (underwater) filming, please...

I already have a gh2 with 8mm and 7-14mm and I use them underwater in the most extreme conditions. Here some examples of them:

7-14mm

8mm on the UW underwater part

Believe me underwater a 7mm with a 2x crop factor is the bare minimum for the reason explained by @CFreak. For this reason I'm asking info on these lens on a such extreme 3x crop factor. As I said two major manufacturers announced a housing for this camera. I'm curious to know if it's just hipe or could be a good option. I'm afraid that its use will be limited to macro or medium field shots. 7-14mm exhibits a strong distortion and is camera corrected (with pana/only bodies). I still have to see a sample shot with bmpcc.

I understand that here as uw shooter I'm a black swan but please don't speak to me as an idiot :-) Byeeee

• @LongJohnSilver, What manufacturers(besides Equinox) plan on making housings for the BMPCC?

• About the widest we can get for rectilinear is the Sigma 8-16 plus the 0.71x Speed Booster. The Sigma's distortion at 8 mm is not terrible on a Super 16 crop, and improves a lot at 10 mm. http://www.sigma-photo.co.jp/english/lens/wide/8_16_45_56/#/data

• @JBV_CINE - yeah, you're probably right... i hope :)

@LongJohnSilver - good looking stuff!

• +1 Great stuff, indeed!

• @Wilbo Its very strange that the Pocket cam wasn´t mentioned by the Black Magic event. They seemed to be concerned about the importance of this new product in the last interviews... It doesn´t smell good...

• @boo Rumors says Nauticam