Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Thanks John - I appreciate you providing this information!

Mark

• @JBV_CINE

I have both the Solid Camera and Hot Rod Cameras PL to m4/3 mount. I like the Solid Camera better, as it feels more rugged and better engineered and they had excellent customer service. The Hot Rod is strong, I just like the bottom mounting points on the Solid Camera better and it also has lens centering adjustment and nicer milling in my opinion. Both will work with the BM Pocket, but only the Hot Rod as is will work with Panasonic cameras that have the bump over the top for the flash. Solid Camera, though, will mill down the mount to fit on a camera like the GH2 for an extra charge.

For more info on PL mounts for m4/3, check out what Barry Green says about 13 different ones in relation to the AF100 (fourth post down): http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?250797-16x9-PL-Adapter-not-sure-if-this-has-been-posted-before

• So I've been trying to track down a mounting solution for the BM Pocket to avoid twist, since it only has one mounting point on the bottom. I experienced twist on the GH2 when using a follow focus, so I know I needed to find a solution to avoid it on the Pocket. I emailed Black Magic about a week ago to ask what they recommended, as I didn't see anything out there that would work. They said that they weren't aware of any 3rd party solutions but that closer to the release date additional "details may emerge from either Blackmagic Design or another third party supplier." However, in the meantime I did run across a few solutions.

The first was the Berkey Microsystems Mikro Baseplate (http://www.berkeysystem.com/store/camera-base-assemblies/mikro-baseplate-assembly-with-quad/) which was designed for GH cameras. It looks like it would work, as it probably reaches the correct height and it has at least two mounting points for a plate which could push against the camera. I actually just emailed them today to see if they have anything in the works that would be a simple addition to this baseplate.

A few days ago, however, I happened to be browsing Vocas's site and saw that they announced a support system for the Pocket Camera which had anti twist built in to the design: http://www.vocas.com/accessories/rail-support-for-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera . Woot! I love Vocas's gear (I have their matte box, hand grips, and follow focus) as it is up there with Arri quality but usually has better features. Their stuff can be expensive, though. However, this baseplate is only €195, which works out to about $275 retail over here. It is also about $100 cheaper than their adjustable baseplate which fits the GH series. Not too bad for top quality. (Although, in order to use their stuff, you do need to invest in their rods, as their sizing is a bit small. Their aluminum rods aren't too expensive, though.)

Anyone come up with any other solutions?

• @Joshua_cadmium

Since you have the mounting point above as well, it should not be too hard to fit the camera in a more generic rig with a good c-clamp or if you have a generic cage that too should provide enough support to keep it steady (for FF). I don´t think it will be long before you have a short plate which uses the same principle as the vocas rail support (to work against torque) which in turn has more mounting points for a generic base plate and offsets the cam from the generic plate a bit (providing full battery hatch access, looking at a 20$ piece of metal instead of a whole rail support). Something a bit similar to a riser, but not quite.

The problem with the mountain point above being that it´s placed in the same position as the one below, meaning that you would need to be able to lock the screw from above securely (to have them work against each other and prevent torque).

• I don't know of anyone has any thoughts about filters for this camera. As far as I understand its the same family of sensors as the BMCC so I'm guessing IR leaking is going to be similarly an issue. With the likelihood of using far smaller lenses I'm pondering my options. I might have to just use step up rings or buy smaller filters, wondering about getting the heliopan variable ND and if I still need an IR filter or not. Or just go the IRND pathway though some seem expensive or even buying some much smaller to suit ND's like 46mm etc.

• @Joshua_Cadmium I use this with my GH2: http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/651595-REG/Acratech_2173_2173_Camera_Plate.html

The extra lip prevents twisting, and it's a standard Arca Swiss quick release plate on the bottom. I'm hoping that it works with the BMPCC as well.

• @johnbrawley

Thanks for the info. Will the pocket camera have some way to do a push to auto focus? Something similar to the way you can half press the shutter button on a DSLR to focus.

• @QuickHitRecord, I have two of the 2173 plates. They work perfectly on GH2.

There is also the RC2 from manfrotto ... http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/554160-REG/Manfrotto_200PLARCH_14_200PLARCH_14_Architectural_Anti_Twist_Quick.html

• @johnbrawley

Hi John, first time you write about the Pocket you put some 4/3 lenses on it and they didn't work right, this has been addressed or improved? Thanks for all your info.

• I want to know if the 14-42 power zoom lens now works.

• @johnbrawley I don't use AF and don't see it as a requirement. But now we'll have it. Some will like it.

A great application for continuous AF is when the BMPCC is mounted on 3-axis gimbals, either hand-held for stabilization, or on a micro copter for aerial shots. Because without expensive remote monitoring and remote focus pulling, it's very difficult for the focus puller to keep up with a flying camera.... :-)

Another application is under water inside a housing without a follow focus.

• @ahbleza

The AF is very slow and not able to keep up with fast changing focus demands.

• @xenogears John Brawley says that 4/3 lenses now work

• Here I am with my strange requests :)

I'm interested in underwater use.

Two big manufacturers stated that they are working on a custom housing for this camera. It has a Lanc interface which is perfect. The biggest problem for uw use is its crop factor. 3x is really a limiting factor. BTW AF is a must underwater and 99% of uw housing just allow standard lens. So forget manual vintage lens.

The most used us lens for m43 is the beloved 7-14. 7 (aka 14mm) is the bare minimum underwater. Actually this lens is corrected in camera. How will it be on bmpcc?

Another typical us lens is the 8mm fisheye with a 180° FOV. How will it be on a 3x camera?

Thanks

• You know what forget it...why bother if Im just going to have to flame with people when Im just trying to help.

• The Oly has distortion too without compensation and the 7-14 is far from fish eye.

• Could everyone please read through the thread before they ask a question? It seems like every thread is bombarded by people asking the same questions over and over again recently.

• @vicharris If I had a dollar for everytime I've read what you just wrote.

• Will the extreme pro cards (scandisk) be usable for the flavours of RAW with this camera? I noticed this today and wondered if we have to wait till these badboys become affordable or not?

http://gizmodo.com/these-are-the-worlds-fastest-sd-cards-for-now-at-lea-811597534

• @jimmykorea I looked this up a few days ago and found this http://www.blackmagicuser.net/topic/445-which-ssd-cards-to-use-with-the-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera/

Looks like Sandisk 64gb 95mbps will handle 16 minutes of raw

• yeah I've seen these calculations for storage for some months. What I haven't seen offically nailed down is the write speed nessecary for the RAW??? As I understand there are two flavours of RAW, I wonder if the extreme pros can handle it or not. John Brawley has only shown ProRes so far, that might mean nothing, just wondering.....

• It may just be a glitch with my wireless but the BM site seems to be down???

• I wouldn't buy any cards until an official list comes out.

• I'm probably going with an extreme pro 64gb once the camera officially ships as it seems it works for JB, they're not much over $100, they are a safe bet for ProRes at least until prices come down and like you say we have a more official list. The prices of this kind of media drops like a stone, it's worth getting something functional you can scrape by on now even if its not ideal and wait it out for a while, I'm sure we will be talking about 1TB cards in a year or two.

• If you guys actually look at that info you've posted it says it writes RAW at 63MB/s, so there's your answer.