Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • just looking at the design and conceding that our discussion above about potential accessibility issues with the cam are largely irrelevant. One could mount this cam to industry standard rails with a couple of articulated arms even (keeping it completely suspended) just use a c-bracket with rails above and below. Mount anything you please..

Really looking forward to the beginning of a great and beautiful friendship!

• I wonder what sort of coverage this will have with my B4 lens

• @RRRR:

It was just an example (the Genus mattebox). And it works quite well btw. ^^. But there are also many other mattboxes which are not "swingable" (so: with the same handling problem - And there is also the lens stabilizer.). So why add additional handling time (and "handlings" all in all) just to change the SD card or the battery. It´s kind of annoying enough, to change a lens from time to time. But thats only the case with bigger rigs. That´s true.

Oh. And as already said: An external recorder is no "must have". But it´s the first time (at least for me) that it´s REALLY a useful and very handy feature. (Which is giving you MANY options and features you don´t have compared to the internal SD card solution.)

The best way is for sure: Use both methods. If you need the features - Take the external recorder. If you don´t - Go out there with a lighter kit with one or two SD cards. ^^

Hmm. I think we discussed this enough. Let´s focus on the horrible waiting again g.

• just placed an order...was very tempted to get two =) now for the waiting game. if only it had 50p, i'd be one happy chappy, an extra 1cm in thickness for sensor cooling, yeah i could live with that.

• I think the cheaper Panasonic zooms are underrated. just thought I would share. I'm going to get the 14-42mm mk2 to start off. It's small, sharp, contrasty and looking at footage which John Brawley did with the MK1 think the slightly sharper more compact version will be a perfect match. I honestly think it looks as good as some Leica stuff on the BMCC. What's great is its really compact, some people dont know how small this lens is, while the 12-35mm is pretty chunky. I find it funny that there is massive long thread on BMC User listing potential lenses for the pocket cam but they dont even mention the Lumix zooms but obsess about obscure c mount lenses with 99% of them looking awful. If Lumix lenses were 15 years old and they didn't make them anymore I bet people would be paying a ton for them now.

The lens is almost c mount small.... http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QSnZFRJPDno

Even the MK1 version looks small against the 12-35mm, with the MK2 MUCH smaller again. (I couldn't find a comparison pic)

image.jpg
    1000 x 834 - 167K
    image.jpg
    900 x 833 - 91K
    image.jpg
    400 x 280 - 29K
  • @jimmykorea:

Yes. The new 14-42mm II ASPH is REALLY nice and also my favorite for the BMPCC (because it´s THAT small and also not very expensive - I already tested it against the new 14-140mm Power OIS lens). The great point is: The only real con the new edition has is, that it´s not as sharp in the corners compared to the centre (at the low end - aka 14mm). But that´s not a problem at all (because of the smaller sensor of the BMPCC camera). And you have at least the Mega OIS stabilizer built in. The perfect small standard lens for the BMPCC. ^^

Sure. It´s not as fast as the 12-35mm F2.8 and only has the "standard" optical stabilizer. But at this price point, with that small body & low weight and the astonishingly high image quality - who cares ^^. I am really happy that they released it.

• @Tscheckoff I'd love to hear your thoughts on the new 14-140 over on the 14-140 lens thread if you have the time to post something over there. Thanks.

• Anyone have any experience with pl to mft adapters... i have access to a set of zeiss superspeeds t1.3 prime lenses designed for super 16mm and they are beuatiful have shot on a Arri SR3 and a 416 many a time with them and feel paired with the black magic pocket they will be amazing especially the 9.5mm wide angle!

• @JBV_CINE it's PL so it pretty much has to be over engineered, at least at the PL side so I wouldn't worry. You're not going to get any problems like with some other mounts. Having said that, if you can afford it go for whatever puts your mind at ease. If you're UK based Les is obviously a port of call but there are other superb manufacturers that you can really trust will give you an adaptor likely to outlast the mount.

You are a lucky individual to have access to to a set of Zeiss. Its weird on S16 your choice is pretty limited and its amazing the variety those Zeiss have created.

I'd loved to have worked in the heyday of the 416.

• @JBV_CINE I recently purchased this one http://www.ebay.com/itm/171034714352 on eBay however I don't have the camera yet to test with. It does appear to be of high quality though. I got it to go with a Zeiss 9,5 T1.3 SuperSpeed I also bought to match up with the BMPCC - I just hope it will cover the sensor!

• This looks to be a great guide for those with bottomless pockets....

http://matthewduclos.wordpress.com/2013/07/11/2013-cine-prime-lens-buyers-guide/

• Great if you have free access to them but buying these things for the pocket cam is like buying a solid gold steering wheel for a skoda.

• Apparently the camera will have auto focus, which is another great reason to have the more modern lenses, Panasonic etc...

• Apparently the camera will have auto focus

I think you are wrong (again..)

http://johnbrawley.wordpress.com/2013/04/24/footage-in-your-pocket/#comment-3718

• There's autofocus. But you need to use an external LANC controller to use it.

• @DoubleVision really, only LANC? It's seems strange to implement it and then limit it. Where's your source, it seems unlikely.

• John Brawley tweets "new" BMPCC pocket cam firmware features:

https://twitter.com/brawlster/status/355550178452856832

https://twitter.com/brawlster/status/355550020646346754

He hints that these features may possibly be coming to the BMCC-EF and new BMPC-4K cam, too. Except, of course, the passive mount BMCC-MFT will not feature auto-focus.

• I read the technical details of the pocket on their website. But it seems like they gonna implement autofocus through firmware update according to brawley. ME LIKEY! This is so useful during lazy day. Hahahaha

• there's a bit of snobbery about auto focus, I think it will be very useful for run and gun, like having a focus puller with you. It's the focus hunting that sometimes happens that needs to be managed.

• @peterdv_dot_com

With JB's close relationship with BM and his track record of only giving info out when he knows it I would call it more a confirmation than a hint.

• The pocket camera will have AF.

This should be rolled out to the other cameras as well.

JB.

• @johnbrawley

The pocket camera will have AF.

Are we talking AF like the 20mm F1.7 Mark I has or AF like the 35-100mm F2.8 has? One is very good the other not so much.

• Are we talking AF like the 20mm F1.7 Mark I has or AF like the 35-100mm F2.8 has? One is very good the other not so much.

Most probably slower than both. As even 20mm AF is based of 60fps AF modes. And in modern bodies it goes up to 240fps in good light. Sampling is important to contract based focus speed.

• It's not going to be fast.

I don't use AF and don't see it as a requirement. But now we'll have it. Some will like it.

JB.