Personal View site logo
EXQUISITE CORPSE - a collaborative video proposal
  • 116 Replies sorted by
  • @jpbturbo it is funny that even after the most hardcore zen + ninja + gamera tamer + samurai on mushrooms mind training - not me case - you will always still project tons of stuff into the images, their meaning, their way in and out. I say this based in my experience and I learn. Josh good that you cut my speedy tunnel with something completely different, you put the finger there... to stop, to go on, dreaming or awake, dreaming while awake, to stop but playing, maybe recording, stopped and playing, that's it!!!

@Vitaliy_Kiselev chiiiiiirs mate

BTW, my friend H. professor at culumbia univ loved the corpse, she laughed a lot (I was surprised), asked lots of nice techy questions and said she wanted to show her father. just transmitting guys

gashô

PS
    don't know what happened, the x264 (that took hours!!!) was 1880 heigh... recoding now

SENT PM to all participants with very HQ x264 1080 downloadable link

• Hate that I'm so late to the game, but I'd like to participate on the next corpse. Count me in for a shot..

• This was one highly anticipated video on our end, good job to all involved. I thought it was going to be silent which is why no horns were blasting; given the proximity to the mummy's head, that was probably a good thing.

@alienhead That underground Irish jig cracked me up, as did @jazzroy 's interpretation, hahahaha.

Looking forward to the next round...

• @buildbyflying don't hate man :P
    you can already start your participation by helping in the building of the outline for next corpse :D

@spacewig just remind me not to let you cook on my nephew's birthday party, ja ja ja

guys let's do this!!! we need to spit things out... a minimum of planing for next episode... I can smell death's shampoo approaching

• How about a 10 second rant about some pre-agreed topic, subject must spit to emphasize their point, subject must be in motion (in addition to earth's rotation)

• @spacewig 10 sec in motion sounds good! @MirrorMan will also be happy.
    we can ad that to @Alienhead 's "an object/subject" present in all shots

what kind of other formal limitations would you think suits this new corpse?
    what about soundtrack? talking about soundtrack I've to go finish my latest
    agglomerate, bis gleich!

• @maxr

How about make contest for each small shot?

So each day any number of people can send their variant. And you cut public version selecting only one of them.

But. In same time you make secret versions (using other variants). And you can see them only by participating :-)

• I hate to say it...but that's pure garbage. I say this even though I like the idea of surrealsim. But this corpse format has the same problem that "improv acting" has - sometimes it's good and sometimes its bad...but it's never going to be as good as a passionate and intelligent person or group of persons who write a script and rewrite and rewrite until you have real gold. Then the same process in shooting and editing.

Surrealism and its concepts of free association and delerio/critical analysis are great tools...but this format is doomed to produce emotionally weak movies with little value. To those who say they "got it" or feel the flow, then I say truly "good for you", but you're risking falling into your own private language where your viewer can not understand what you say, think, or feel.

My review of the corpse - 1 out of 5 stars. The 1 star is given because the participants proceeded with a positive attitude towards life and art...that does come thru...but unfortunately this is...in the final analysis...garbage typical of the BS 48 hour film projects produce. My only suggestion is to channel those surrealistic impulses in a more powerful and compelling way. The talent is there...the passion is there...now do something better.

Sorry guys, but this is truly garbage.

• I hate to say it...but that's pure garbage. I say this even though I like the idea of surrealsim. But this corpse format has the same problem that "improv acting" has - sometimes it's good and sometimes its bad...but it's never going to be as good as a passionate and intelligent person or group of persons who write a script and rewrite and rewrite until you have real gold. Then the same process in shooting and editing.

I suggest to be softer. No need to call something garbage :-) It is just like a game, fun and intended for participation.

As for passionate group of guys who write script, etc. We had one. Problem is they did not produced anything.

• I'm not sure that I believed that this was a serious project, and therefore wouldn't judge it as such. Is it a great masterpiece? No, but it was fun and it's interesting to see what people wanted to add to the project. I would definitely do it again, especially now that I know more about it.

• @matt_gh2 I don't quite get your "criticism". It seems you're judging the corpse for what it's not (or what you think it should be?). There's a big difference between a simple experiment and calling something a masterful contribution to culture. I don't recall anyone claiming in this discussion thread that we're the next Kubrick or even making a quantum leap in cinema. In fact its quite the opposite, right in the beginning @maxr made it pretty clear what an "exquisite corpse" is and where it came from and if you understand it, yes its a pretty crude concept. So, reading into it more than that is pretty pointless and possibly more absurd than the corpse itself. Beyond that though, I'm still glad to hear the responses. There have been some good suggestions on how to "script" or "score" future experiments.

• Yeahhhh!!! garbage me like it, nothing to loose, nobody wants, rejected, despised and smelly.

Now seriously, @matt_gh2 you're welcome to criticize, measure and give stars. maybe, if not afraid to get dirty :P even participate and improve it... You would never imagine how well I understand you, I mean it; that is one (probably the most powerful) reason why from day 1 I stated it is just a game. Go on tell your kids the mess they're doing is has no higher purpose ja ja ja

@Vitaliy something like that went through my mind, but being me who has to select or winnow uff...
    it is not laziness, well a bit maybe, is more I would like to put down (together) a set of rules and then let things go, more or less, on their own. It is also a way of keeping the game (vs art/transcendental) spirit.

That's another interesting project though

2 more things, first the BS
    Chinese proverb everybody knows the usefulness of useful, few know the usefulness of the useless

Secondly, I like our first corpse. For going somewhere unknowable we have to trust, I don't mean you trust me (that would be an error) I mean trust life/the collective, put nice energy into it, if don't like where you're going make happen that direction is changed. I am going to say this only once (uuhhh... ja ja ja) I am here (specific thread) to have fun.
    I have no desire or longing for power or control, quite the opposite, for learning and freedom

gashô

• @maxr Trust me, I truly appreciate the spirit of everyone who participated. Very positive people, all very cool, and with a good spirit of adventure. Combine that with the interest in surrealism and you have a lot of interesting people.

But my question to you is this: why are all these people very very interested in film. The answer: they've seen films that have inspired them. Films they considered great. Question: why did they pick up cameras...what do they really want? Answer: they want to make great films themselves.

My point is this: this technique of the corpse leads nowhere towards that goal.

If you say it's all for "fun only"...merely a "game"...then I say "that's cool too". But for those who have ambition to produce something great...I say you need to be focused...and focused in a way different than the corpse technique. And yes...you can still attack a goal with ambition all while doing so with a sense of fun and freedom.

No offense intended towards anyone - merely my personal view on what techniqiues yield the best films. The films that have inspired us all to pick up our cameras.

I wish you all the best in all your future projects.

Rock on, Matt

• If you say it's all for "fun only"...merely a "game"...then I say "that's cool too". But for those who have ambition to produce something great

I think you do not understand that is the games purpose in human life (and in animals life too) :-)

• @VK Yes and no.

• @matt_gh2

Nobody makes great films 'themselves', it's a collaborative effort. I agree that one usually has to be focused and go-all out to make a great film, even if there is one person who usually has to be the leader and in charge to make the vision consistent. But I don't agree with your point that games like this lead nowhere. One can be gung-ho and driven and lead themselves into a rut that someone else dug -- happens all the time, if you don't get inspiration. Inspiration comes from this sort of thing, from the work of others, but also from 'play'.

• Matt you're maybe right about

for those who have ambition to produce something great...I say you need to be focused...and focused in a way different than the corpse technique

But you're also missing that this is supposed to be just a voluntary and amicable exchange of videos between fellow PV forumners.
    Now, perhaps we're starting with the wrong foot (I love this phrase in the movies and then they start shooting like crazy).

Would you be kind enough to elaborate a "technique" that could allow us to, in your words, attack a goal with ambition all while doing so with a sense of fun and freedom with the constrains of distance and little time? And pretty please I beg you not to answer (me) with a yes and no... out of respect ;-)... like the one I have for you. I'm not being cynic, ironic or paternalistic

Relief offtopic, I pray at this time tomorrow I'll be soooo high I can scratch god's fluffy balls

• @matt_gh2

I think that you are missing the point with "The Corpse".

There are people of all different levels of skill and experience here, with many different end goals.

To say that we are all trying to create "something great" by submitting a 5 second clip, as it was shot out of the camera, is taking things a bit far.

I know that the reason that I took part was to get away from taking things too seriously and just have some fun.

The day that I shot my clip, I had just finished about 2 weeks of prep (as DoP) for a 3 day shoot that was to take place the next day under the watchful eye of Bèla Tarr. If you are not familiar with his work, then go look him up and you will see that he takes things very seriously indeed.

Shooting a few seconds of collaborative video just to see what will come out of it and have some fun can be relieving at times...

So go easy, and try and see the usefulness in all things.

• @maxr & @Alienhead & @VK You all make good points. @maxr LOL re "perhaps we got off on the wrong foot"...yeah, that seems to come right before the guns blaze (True Romance?). Fully understand where you all are coming from in terms of "game" mindsight. All cool. In terms of technique I just merely had in mind what most people do for filmmaking, which involves writing, rewriting, casting, rehearsing, shooting, reshooting, editing, re-editing. I think that can be done with an attitude of fun and freedom, along with the goal and ambition of the film. Distance and time constraints are a bitch obviously, so everyone has to do what they can. Guess we were talking apples and oranges ("game" focus for fun, vs film production). All good - no harm no foul - hope no offense was taken.

If you do it right, and you don't need drugs to do it right, you'll be "high" enough to scratch his forehead...and then float high enough that you forget him. That's one spot where great ideas may come from.

• gashô^ @matt_gh2

^ deeply respectful (physical but not only) gesture

which doesn't take I could still have a shotgun taped to my back ;-)

• @maxr Haha - Diehard style eh? Watched that a few years back - it held up pretty good.

• movies are anything that is making use of moving images. garbage is when our minds fail to find a place for something.

6.5 thousand million humans. 1 is enough to engage in any of the processes above. 1 is also what is necessary to engage others into belief systems that can condition the perceptions of many. there is big illusion in the notion of a common language, and the necessity for it, as that of the possibility of a private one.

minds vibrate period.

@matt_gh2, find a church, be safe.

• "Dare to be stupid", Weird Al Yankovic sung.

OK, I assume there are many more that think this project has resulted in garbage. Luckily they don't all feel the need to mention that. I at least was very interested to see what it would end up like, but I do not consider myself to be able to Judge whether it is good or bad. I may like or dislike it.

If you like it, or perhaps miss something you expected, you can provide feedback which may effect in a next project or step getting better (in "your" way or to your eyes or ears).

I41 have camera(s) because I like to record images. It mainly started with windmills in 2003 when digital cameras were not yet all around. (I never owned an analog camera before that.)

I may be able to shoot some nice stills, video is another story. But I also like the possibility and was more or less forced to use that when my first GH1 refused to take any other (good exposed) stills.

Since I am not that experienced in video, my target isn't to create great movies. I try to put some fun into my clips, get it out of them or simply record moving images of what I also like to take stills of. It's a way of passing time and putting attention to something, just having a small target other than this "great production".

So, I do not post very often, here is just a clip I shot a few weeks ago. You may enjoy this if you can understand the dutch language. (I haven't yet heard of any Google live vocal translation service.) If you don't know what I am saying (improv'ing?), it may be a very boring experience watching these images. On the other hand, you might also create your own story around them or based on them.

My suggestion for any new project would be: create a narrative as sound, just someone telling a story. Have participants shoot images for this story. The collector and dealer (the manager, one person) can then select parts of these clips and mix them together to a story, which could result in very funny movies, but of course, there is no guarantee. And even if it is not a pleasure for those who watch it (and do or don't speak their minds), the process of creating by itself could be a joy to all participants.

Oh, I laughed my ass off while typing this message.

Of course, that is not true, but it was just an attempt to be funny.

At least, I had some fun myself, even if it was only for setting up some good reasoning.

I'll leave you all in confusion.

LOL, after reading this message, here it (finally) is, this clip I mentioned:

• well well well

Where to start? hummmmm... I'm exhausted and; right now and at the risk of sounding silly, fuck it, let it sound silly; my heart is much too open. For those that understand, I'll say no more: for those who don't I'll say no more, just wear life jackets ;-)

@Fool4UAnyway I like the anglo-saxon saying (sexy!) practice makes perfection, luckily it is not true which is even more enticing. Begrijp je wat ik zeg?

Matt (matt_gh2) has the right of expressing himself, right or wrong doesn't matt=er, he has proven to be reasonable and I'll call what we had a dialog. If we're going to nourish fights, we're not gonna get anywhere. Beware of my own contr+adictions, je je je

now commandments, repeat with me brothers XD

WE ARE NOT HERE TO PROOVE ANYTHING

WE WANT TO HAVE FUN

WE CAN HAVE FUN AND STILL LEARN WITHOUT HEARTING ANYBODY, WE'LL TRY HARD

HAVING FUN DOESN'T MEAN I CANNOT DO A GOOD (TO MYSELF) JOB

ROME WASN'T BUILD IN A DAY

WE ARE HERE TO BUILD A TREE HOUSE, NOT FUCKING ROME, YET :P

ANYWAY ROME WAS BURN TO GROUND IN ONE DAY (ACTUALLY 6)

IF I HAVE AN OPINION I SHOULD MAKE SURE I HAVE AN ANTIDOTE, CASE NEEDED

enough, you get the idea

Next three days I'll be out. Please guys put the energy in getting a consensus on the details of our next corpse like: What - if any - didn't quite work/you didn't like (own POV) in first corpse; analysis. Is there going to be a theme? How long is going to have each person? Technicals limitations and formats. Building the list/schedule. Etc, etc.

We can make it, what? have fun, know ourselves a little bit better, share precious experiences and some dirty jokes

Ok, the errangelic sermon is over
    I wish you all a happy weekend

A little present, before the sun rises.
    Today I went to the concert of a musician I've heard for quite some time: Mû
    Before the concert I had dinner with him and all the members of the band (each one from a different corner of the world), chat with his wife and the fantastic dancer. The saxophonist even gave me his nex 5n with a nikon ais 80f1.2 to take photos. I enjoyed beyond words. In the end (3am) we hug and he said thank you for your presence ... as I had to reply to those deep black eyes and HUGE smile, I said keep your heart open ... how silly

here you can listen and download (legally) four of his' albums

• Da's ff schrikken. Schrijft er ineens iemand Nederlands tegen me.

Practice delivers art, toch?

Altijd weer Rome, ze hebben die Autodrop veel te lekker gemaakt, want alle wegen leiden naar Rome.