Personal View site logo
25mm f1.4 Leica DG Summilux
  • 89 Replies sorted by
  • Many people have been taking good pictures using Lumix G lenses.
  • I respectfully disagree.
    Lumix lenses are very good. My friend got the 45-200mm and it is a very good lens as well.
    Apart from the 14-42 every lumix lens is very good...
  • Wow. Those look great!

The GH2 is actually quite a good stills camera when you have the right glass on it. I think it just gets a bad reputation because Lumix lenses are the most disgusting excuses for optics ever to be called lenses and used on a camera... :)
  • >with the intention of trying it and selling it on but ended up loving and keeping it!
    same for me !
    >the "thing" it gives...
    agree to, I don't have the Leica 25, but I really prefer the image of the Voigt compare to the 20mm
    >if you do photography the Leica is just faultless with AF
    I do mostly stills, and I prefer manual focusing, maybe it's just to feel more like an old style photographer, but I really enjoy it. And fore manual rack focusing on video (without FF), I think it's really better than Fuckus-by-wire...

Maybe the Samyang will be a good cheaper alternative when it will be available, but I don't regret the good time I spent with the Voigt
  • @Ind
    I owned the voigt before getting the Leica (with the intention of trying it and selling it on but ended up loving and keeping it!) and its a hard one to answer..it really boils down to how much you want AF and if you do photography the Leica is just faultless with AF.

The voigt I prefer for build quality (the classic way but new) and the "thing" it gives...it FEELS like its worth the cost and beautifully made...but is a heavy beast that can occasionally cause frustration....especially at f0.95
    Its great to use on a GF1 as you cant really use high iso...so its down to the optics...and there are very few f0.95s in that price range that give great images. Plus the hard stops are good to have.

The Leica doesnt FEEL like a expensive lens but when you see the results from the optics (is there software correction going on?) I havent seen results like it before...f1.4 is a lot better than the voigt at f1.4...colour lack of serious CA. Its very hard to get a "bad" image from the lens....but sometimes its nice to have the ability. Its also very light and compact.

Im glad I have both even though both 25mm...its like having two flavours ;-)
    Sorry Im not much help.
    They are probably the two current greatest primes on M4/3
    2nd & 3rd place goes to 20mm f1.7 & Oly 12mm f2 (my next target)
  • I prefer the Leica -
    because I like the AF off and to use
    the Voigtländer happens to have no AF - unfortunately

Therefore I buy the Leica and the Samyang 24mm f1.4
  • @Mimirsan
    So if you had to go again and choose between voigt and DG you would def go Voigt?, Im trying to choose between the two and the AF on the DG is enticing however the voigt does have that 'thing' about it... just cannot decide... wish I could afford both
  • So its a plastic lens.... the 8mm, 45mm are also plastic lenses and I love them!

The only downside for video is the focus by wire, besides that they are very nice and sharp lenses.

Would be nice if the focus by wire could have an hard stop like the Oly, maybe with an firmware update or hack?
  • Vitaiy I thnk thats the best option for low price shooting Samyang make darn great lenses and im tempted by just getting their range (if I move from M4/3), I got the Leice a few days before the samyang announcement :-(

Hazna
    I respectfully disagree in some aspects...The voigt is very usable at f0.95 and at faster apertures your not going to have everything razor sharp. If you want that extra stops theres little else out there that compares.
    As for cinema shooting...howabout Kubrick and Barry lyndon?
    Fake lighting cant substitute natural lighting...and for some photographers & filmakers you'd rather just go and shoot on the fly ;-)
    But saying that the Leica is sharper than the voigt at f1.4 and the Leica is a phenomenal lens...but for a little more you can have better build nicer Mf and the extra stops.
    I wish Panny would stop with the plastic and add a ittle luxury...or if they must use plastic...use the same material as the samyangs.
  • I am personally tend to wait for Samyang 24mm.
    Could also serve Pentax bodies.
    And I still hope that Pentax Ricoh will make something decent this year.
  • The performance of the leica is unmatched.
    The Voigtländer starts behaving like a good lens when its stopped at F2.8.
    It kind of defeats the purpose of having F0.95.
    Not to mention that in cinema nobody shoots under F2.
    Good lighting can not be substituted with a wide aperture.

MY MAIN COMPLAIN with the leica is the focus on wire. I wish they followed Olympus lead and designed the focus on wire with a hard stop like the 12mm F2
  • thanks - lens is also on my list
  • It does do AFC...as a video lens its great although the focus does tend to do that forward back (breathing?) when focusing on subjectslike the 20mm... it is quiet and faster than the 20mm however.
    I could probably up a test later on on vimeo.
  • wow, nice images. I saw a sample video when they announced it and the images looked very organic, filmic.

Any thoughts on video images with the lens? Does it do AFC?