Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
25mm f1.4 Leica DG Summilux
  • 89 Replies sorted by
  • Just bought this lens the other day. Optical quality is stellar but I am really not a fan of this focus by wire business. Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the electronic focus ring? I personally feel like it's exhaustingly slow.

• And it has a very big 'breathing' efect

• Can you guys see the video from my previous post?

• @stonebat: Which camera base is this? Is it height adjustable? If it is, it's exactly what I need :)

• That's not my video.

• @Shield "Ok, figured it out. It's not just a simple "half-click". You have to half-click and HOLD. HOLD being the key word. You have to hold the half shutter for 2-3 seconds, then a green box appears on the LCD and it refocuses. Also during this half/click hold, you can adjust the focus manually by rotating the focus ring. After 6 months I'm STILL learning amazing things about this camera! Shawn"

I am with you, and I just learned this from you. Thanks for sharing... Al

• Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ASPH Photozone.de review

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/740-pana25

• Well spotted @johnnymossville I would join the 25mm 1.4 owner's club if they would ship that to the uk (even with added tax!) Amazon uk has this at £444... aprox $700 here!

Would be great as one of @VK's bargain sale items ;)

• @matthere yeah. $700 seems kinda high. I'm tempted

• I'm new to using the GH2 for video, and I have a newbie question. With the exception of many people not liking the fly-by-wire manual focus, the Leica DG 25mm seems like an excellent lens. I bought one, but am considering returning it.

The DG doesn't have a stopless manual aperture ring like most conventional video lenses that I've been used to operating. I know I can control aperture using the GH2 controls on the rear of the camera, but when I use that I seem to create some camera shake.

Can anyone comment on this for me?

• i'm a complete noob just started filming nearly a month.. i have this lense (25mm summilux) and focusing seems abit of trouble.. anyone knows how to set this lense focus to infinity?

• @larrystick

The DG doesn't have a stopless manual aperture ring like most conventional video lenses that I've been used to operating.

I have the legacy Four Thirds version of the Leica 25mm f1.4 and it's one of the very few Lumix lenses that have a manual aperture ring. It's a beautiful lens, one of the sharpest I own, and the aperture makes a huge difference in rapidly paced event shoots. It also auto-focuses very quickly, nearly as fast as a native MFT Lumix lens.

• Well...I decided to pick this one with the SLR Magic 12 mm f 1.6 instead of the 12-35 mm . For my videos I think I ll be better provided ....dont you guys agree ?

• 25mm f1.4 Leica DG Summilux + Olympus ED 12mm f/2.0

• Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 or SLR Magic 35mm 0.95?

any thoughts?

• IMO, the only negative aspect of DG 25 1.4 is focus by wire. But if you can live with that, it's the most amazing lens I've used with my GH2.

• @Flaaandeeers

You're right. A stiffer/better feeling focus ring would have made this lens even better!

• Leica D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 is the one LPowell talked about (not DG). It has manual aperture ring and it is practically free of distortions. It has also AF by using 4/3-µ4/3 adaptor. It is a hot candidate for low-light king on the µ4/3 cameras.

• The D 4/3 version can use the GH2's EX tele focus trick as well. I use the Olympus adapter and the combination's operation is flawless.

• This sounds like it would be a superb acquisition. Unfortunately, it's not so easy to track down: whenever I think I've found someone (or somewhere) that has it, it always seems to be the DG m4/3 version. The description & spec of the two lenses is that similar, the two seem to be interchangeable :(

• I see a couple on Ebay right now but damn are they expensive.

• I had owned Leica DG 25mm 1.4 for m43, and it was a great lens for photo. I heard Leica D 25mm 1.4 for 43 is super sharp at 1.4... but I can't justify the high cost. Its AF is sluggish. Same old fly-by-wire focus ring. Not easy to do MF either. Forget about rack focusing. EX Tele feature is really useful for ISO 400 or lower.