Personal View site logo
25mm f1.4 Leica DG Summilux
  • 89 Replies sorted by
  • Just bought this lens the other day. Optical quality is stellar but I am really not a fan of this focus by wire business. Is there any way to adjust the sensitivity of the electronic focus ring? I personally feel like it's exhaustingly slow.

• And it has a very big 'breathing' efect

• Can you guys see the video from my previous post?

• @stonebat: Which camera base is this? Is it height adjustable? If it is, it's exactly what I need :)

• That's not my video.

• @Shield "Ok, figured it out. It's not just a simple "half-click". You have to half-click and HOLD. HOLD being the key word. You have to hold the half shutter for 2-3 seconds, then a green box appears on the LCD and it refocuses. Also during this half/click hold, you can adjust the focus manually by rotating the focus ring. After 6 months I'm STILL learning amazing things about this camera! Shawn"

I am with you, and I just learned this from you. Thanks for sharing... Al

• Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 ASPH Photozone.de review

http://www.photozone.de/olympus--four-thirds-lens-tests/740-pana25

• Well spotted @johnnymossville I would join the 25mm 1.4 owner's club if they would ship that to the uk (even with added tax!) Amazon uk has this at £444... aprox $700 here!

Would be great as one of @VK's bargain sale items ;)

• @matthere yeah. $700 seems kinda high. I'm tempted

• I'm new to using the GH2 for video, and I have a newbie question. With the exception of many people not liking the fly-by-wire manual focus, the Leica DG 25mm seems like an excellent lens. I bought one, but am considering returning it.

The DG doesn't have a stopless manual aperture ring like most conventional video lenses that I've been used to operating. I know I can control aperture using the GH2 controls on the rear of the camera, but when I use that I seem to create some camera shake.

Can anyone comment on this for me?

• i'm a complete noob just started filming nearly a month.. i have this lense (25mm summilux) and focusing seems abit of trouble.. anyone knows how to set this lense focus to infinity?

• @larrystick

The DG doesn't have a stopless manual aperture ring like most conventional video lenses that I've been used to operating.

I have the legacy Four Thirds version of the Leica 25mm f1.4 and it's one of the very few Lumix lenses that have a manual aperture ring. It's a beautiful lens, one of the sharpest I own, and the aperture makes a huge difference in rapidly paced event shoots. It also auto-focuses very quickly, nearly as fast as a native MFT Lumix lens.

• Well...I decided to pick this one with the SLR Magic 12 mm f 1.6 instead of the 12-35 mm . For my videos I think I ll be better provided ....dont you guys agree ?

• 25mm f1.4 Leica DG Summilux + Olympus ED 12mm f/2.0

• Leica DG Summilux 25mm f/1.4 or SLR Magic 35mm 0.95?

any thoughts?

• IMO, the only negative aspect of DG 25 1.4 is focus by wire. But if you can live with that, it's the most amazing lens I've used with my GH2.

• @Flaaandeeers

You're right. A stiffer/better feeling focus ring would have made this lens even better!

• Leica D Summilux 25mm f/1.4 is the one LPowell talked about (not DG). It has manual aperture ring and it is practically free of distortions. It has also AF by using 4/3-µ4/3 adaptor. It is a hot candidate for low-light king on the µ4/3 cameras.

• The D 4/3 version can use the GH2's EX tele focus trick as well. I use the Olympus adapter and the combination's operation is flawless.

• This sounds like it would be a superb acquisition. Unfortunately, it's not so easy to track down: whenever I think I've found someone (or somewhere) that has it, it always seems to be the DG m4/3 version. The description & spec of the two lenses is that similar, the two seem to be interchangeable :(

• I see a couple on Ebay right now but damn are they expensive.

• I had owned Leica DG 25mm 1.4 for m43, and it was a great lens for photo. I heard Leica D 25mm 1.4 for 43 is super sharp at 1.4... but I can't justify the high cost. Its AF is sluggish. Same old fly-by-wire focus ring. Not easy to do MF either. Forget about rack focusing. EX Tele feature is really useful for ISO 400 or lower.