Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 Issues
  • 83 Replies sorted by
  • @neokoo "Took series of pictures (JPEG low quality setting)" Isn't this the problem, the low quality conversion of the image in camera, instead of in your computer? Does the G6 have this problem in the high quality JPEG setting in camera?

• I did some tests for inconsistent color in JPEG sequences.

Took series of pictures (JPEG low quality setting) of a color table and a one-color sheet under household fluorescent lights, in burst H and burst L modes, at long exposure times (2" and 5"). The test images were not colorimetric test charts, just color prints, but as the intent was only to measure whether colors change between images, they were sufficient for the test.

Obviously all settings including white balance were on manual, and all "i.Something" type features were off.

The colors did change between sequential images. There appeared to be more differences in burst H mode (fastest) and less in burst L mode (slowest).

In burst L mode color differences were present, but not very big. In this kind of test with household lights, I cannot say conclusively how much of it is the effect of lights.

But at burst H there are clear differences in colors of sequential images, more than what could be attributed to effect of lights. And in real-world shooting situation it is even worse.

Here are images from the test, and a sequence from real-world timelapse take at burst H:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/16587899/for_pv/G6_JPEG_burst_color_tests.zip

Here is a video of one of the test sequences in Lightroom, showing changes of color in histogram:

It appears that in burst H mode colors tend to be inconsistent on G6. In coming weeks I'll be using this camera for more timelapse work, will post if I find out more about this.

• @neokoo Panasonic should at least put out a notice regarding this, since factory settings introduce it.

• @oscillian

Same thing on my G6, i.Dynamic feature creates shadow borders to bright highlight areas if there are darker areas behind them.

HDR-to-LDR features like i.Dynamic are always a compromise in some way. Since it can be turned off, unlikely that we'll get much official reaction to this...

• All other cameras? Like GH2 or just newer from same generation like GF6 and GH3?

• Since the i.Dynamic feature is set to Auto from factory thus showing up on all end user videos, this should be adressed by Panasonic in Firmware update :)

Btw, it can behave same way for all other cameras, need to ask all owners.

• Since the i.Dynamic feature is set to Auto from factory thus showing up on all end user videos, this should be adressed by Panasonic in Firmware update :)

• @oscillian

It seems that it has some algorithm to determinate where to lift brightness and it can behave in weird way.

• Ok, I think I found the problem. The dark shadow is caused by i.Dynamic feature. If set to other than Off it creates the dark shadow to the left. Examples: i.Dynamic Auto (50p ETC-mode, Natural -5,0,0,-5) AVCHD straight from camera

Examples: i.Dynamic Off (50p ETC-mode, Natural -5,0,0,-5) AVCHD straight from camera

• Another problem is color inconsistency in JPEGs, which I noticed in timelapse use. On full manual settings with all "i.Something" features off, sequential JPEGs have slightly different color balance, even though WB is clearly on manual.

Will post examples as soon as I have time to do a test in controlled environment. Also will attempt the halo/shadow test on my unit.

• @oscillian

wow...the etc mode clip shows just how bad this is . I recommend people comment on the vimeo page itself. That clip should convince the ceo of panasonic himself .....there's a problem groundcontrol ! thanks amigo

• This is worrying...it's not your camera...is it all the g6 models?

• @kurth Sure:

AVCHD 24p, Standard 0,0,0,0, WB Sunny, ISO 800, f5.6, 1/50th shutterspeed, Olympus 45mm f1.8 @5.6

First clip normal, second with ETC mode on.

• @oscillian

can you post your sample on vimeo and youtube ...this helps to get their attention !

• Did same test with 24p, Standard profile 0,0,0,0, WB Sunny, ISO 800, f5.6, 1/50

Black shadow on midtone surfaces (40 IRE) to the left of bright surface (80 IRE)

Looks like a factory recall or, if we're lucky, a firmware update.

• @Epikurejczyk86

Seeing as this video was recorded on my camera, I did a similar test to oscillian to see if this 'haloing' is as apparent indoors as his was.

First I used 50p, 1/100, Profile Standard, Iso 3200 and to my naked eye, it wasn't visible. But when I instead used 160 shutter it became slightly visible in poor light.

Edit: Scratch that, I just performed another test with a white piece of paper against a brown wooden table and the shadowing was very visible, in 24p (1/80) and 50p (1/160). A lamp illuminated the area I was recording and when I moved the crinkly paper against the upper left of the table (where the light created a slight glowing reflection) the 'halo/shadowing' became very obvious. So I seem to have the same problem as Oscillian, And it seems to be occurring only on the left of bright objects.

• - look on this video at 1:15 - dark "shadow"...

• Peaking blue highlights seem not to get relayed over wifi when remote operating, not exactly a fault I suppose but it's very frustrating.

• oscillian I would return your camera for a replacement I had to return mine due to a faulty sensor - dead pixels - these things do happen in high volume manufacturing ! it is annoying but fixable by getting a replacement

• @oscillian yup. It’s more pronounced when you keep the paper over the sofa. I would still try higher contrast adjustments in-camera though. Probably some in camera magic going on. Natural light leak seems different than this.

• @eyenorth you're probably right. Bad copy :-(

• @fix I thought so too! But it's only on the left side, so...

• @andy_lee It's visible on the camera LCD when recording.

• Here's a quick similar test with my G6 in 50p. Portrait all dialed down except sharpness at 0. No haloing like @oscillian 's - would seem to be a faulty copy so hopefully you can change it in. Original file.

https://mega.co.nz/#!FxATwR4T!N71vuws5jpKSjPD5B5JSwARbye1MzqJ72g_lwgPZeTw

• That's pretty ugly. I would guess it's your copy. I shot hours of diverse footage with the G6 in pretty harsh light conditions this week, and haven't seen this kind of occurance in the footage. Shot mostly 24p, and some 50p.