Personal View site logo
GH2 Flow Motion v2 - 100 Mbps Fast Action Performance - Series 2
  • 316 Replies sorted by
  • Hi All,

I'm based in the UK and shoot most of my video in PAL 25p via HBR mode with FlowMotion v2.

I understand that due to the AVCHD standard, 25p is stored in a 50i wrapper on the GH2.

I use Vegas Pro 12 as my main editor, but when I add my video to the timeline (basing project settings on the first added video) it detects the video as: 1920 x 1080 x 32 25.000i.

If I use mediainfo on the source MTS file it also shows 25i:

Width : 1 920 pixels Height : 1 080 pixels Display aspect ratio : 16:9 Frame rate : 25.000 fps Scan type : Interlaced Scan order : Top Field First

If I then go to properties on the clip and change the field order to "None (Progessive Scan)" the video looks terrible with motion jaggies that wern't there before.

I'm not sure if this is a FlowMotion issue, a general GH2 issue, or more likely, a user configuration issue.

Can anyone shed some light?

• Flow Motion 2.02

• Flowmotion 2.02 24H standard color settings

• @liamrnr

Shoot stuff with lots of color and motion. Sports events.

Is it important to get high bit rate if you don't need it? If so use an "intra" type hack.

• Try to switch between 24H and 24L.

• Hey guys, I'm a bit of a newbie to my gh2 and to the world of hacking. I've installed the flowmotion 2.2 firmware and, no matter what I shoot, it doesn't seem to want to go over 60mpbs - whether it's in HBR or 24p. Any ideas? Followed the guides down to a t!

• I shot a feature called ' True Story" on this hack when it first came out... worked brilliantly. Had zero issues except the noise bug a few times.- Id share but the director/producers screwed up the footage by trying to color grade and not knowing what the f-they were doing.

• @Botvinic, check for the iso bug on PV, there is a know bug where there is a lot of noise if you power up your gh2 on ISOs 160, 320, 640 and 1250, it also occurs when you select it directly, you must at first select a higher iso (for example 200) then go back to 160! if you can't shoot this again, go for neat video, it will completely kill the noise.

• Hi! Flow Motion v2.02 Why the noise? This iso160. Help :(

Image8.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 348K
  • Has anyone done any extensive testing in 720 60p with high shutter speeds for slow motion? i.e 2000 to 4000 range

• Really liking Flowmotion. All aerial shots in this clip taken with Flowmotion. Have also tried Sanity 5, which strangely seems to crash more frequently than Flowmotion (must be using wrong settings)

• This is a short documentary I've made with Flow motion 2.02. It is about a guy here in Stockholm who is called "The Magnetist" because he is obsessed with cassette tapes. I used Voigtlander 25mm and SLR Magic 12mm, a cheap chinese 35mm cctv lens and a vintage zoom lens in two shots. I also converted the files with 5D2RGB to get rid of the diagonal rain pattern in Premiere.

I'm interested if anyone got any problems with playing the video in HD since I've used the 1080p Vimeo option. I wonder if it actually could be to heavy for some computers?

• 80% 24H is 30p slowed down 20% 30x0.8=24

• Hi guys. Could someone please clear up how to run 80% 24H slow motion? My gh2 records 24fps in this mode. Shouldn't it be 50/60 fps? btw - are there any patches which changes name of movie mode eg. SH to 720p50?

• Shot with Flowmotion 2.02

• @DrDave (end of page 4)

"Anyone test Flowmotion with a different GOP to see if it disappears the Digital Rain on CS6?"

If you convert to ProRes before editing, it would fix the problem.

• Greatest Patch ever. I'd like to share my first step into filming, using FlowMotion 2.02 at 6.400 ISO. You see a nightly rush hour of Ulm, a City in southern Germany.

• @dumbsaint I think you should learn more about using cameras for filming. First question should be: What kind of format do you use? 30p, 60i or 25p? PAL or NTSC? I couldn't get this information in your post. If you choosed a format - stay in it. Don't change the framerates in your postproduction.

stuttering/flickering/tearing/interlacing on fast moving motion

These are completely different issues with different causes. Again, what settings, what format do you use? For example, if you shoot sequences in 60i or 50i you should watch them on an interlaced device like a TV. Computers and their graphic devices usually don't use interlaced frames. Stuttering is in most cases a result of too fast movements while filming with 24p. In this case you have to learn how to handle movements correctly and smooth - it has nothing to do with the camera. Flickering (what exactly do you mean with that?) can have a cause in a wrong shutter time. I live in a PAL country and I normally use shutter time 1/50 for 24p and 25p.

• Hi everyone. Recently purchased a NTSC GH2. Upgraded the firmware to Panasonic's 2011 official 1.1 patch, which allows HBR etc.

I became immediately frustrated with the GH2's stuttering/flickering/tearing/interlacing on fast moving motion, or even calculated panning motion. From what I've read a lot of that is unavoidable (?) due to AVHCD etc (please clarify?). Not sure if it's the FCP7 canvas playing tricks on me as those issues are minimised/non existant in Quicktime playback (I have the latest iMac everything as of 2013, btw).

I thought I'd give Flomotion V2.02 a go in a bid to clean up those distractions yet I'm not sure if it's compatible/activated alongside Panasonic's v1.1 patch? Eg: ptools asks to 'Load Firmware', I select 'GH2__V.11', Flomotion appears in the 'F' circle, I select it, save a new patch, load and install into the camera. They're the only 2 patches installed, btw.

After shooting some tests; yes the footage has great clarity in DOF work, yes the file sizes are larger (currently noodling with 720p, 30fps, 1/60 etc), however the aforementioned image motion flicker is still apparent in places. I use 5DRGB > 25p, Progressive, ProRes422HQ before throwing into FCP7 too - that cleans it up, but does nothing for the lines. I guess what I'm asking is:

1. Can Flomotion help with this?
    2. If not, what can I do, if anything?

I've tried all GH2 modes, deactivated clip and sequence 'Field Dominance' in FCP, but still nothing. I've watched many online examples - some GH2 footage shows no signs of it, while others suffer from it. HELP PLEASE!

• :edit: helps if I read before I ask!

• A promotional video I shot with gh2 with Flowmotion patch for the new online community of food lovers, Foodzai.

• Hello,

Just wanna share. Bad weather in the alps. Shot with flomotion, 24p,1920x1080,standard -2-2-2 0, 14-140 pana and some old mf nikon lenses.
    Thanks everyone from personal view you guys are great!

• Hey guys, today I received a "Staff Pick" for my video shot on my GH2. The hack used was flowmotion- just wanted to give a big thanks to this forum and developers!

• Flowmotion and 14-140kit still delivering the goods in 720p.

• 24L mode is better than stock. If you have troubles with Flowmotion try "sanity"