Personal View site logo
Official Low GOP topic
  • 1003 Replies sorted by
  • @driftwood

well... if you are going to go that far try upping FB1 FB2 and frame limit to 3x.

Chris
  • @stefanos You got it.

@driftwood 200Mbps sound scary!!! 110Mbps gave something close to 115Mbps average video rate.

I did some motion test. When a camera is stable and taking detailed scene, I-frame stayed around 9Mb. As soon as it began moving, I-frame size dropped and B-frame got beefed up where the size of I-frame kept above B-frame. Max B-frame size stayed around 5Mb. As soon as the camera was stabilized and focused on a detailed scene, the I-frame size restored to 9Mb and B-frame size got tamed to little above 3Mb.

The codec worked beautifully. I'll get some beer and celebrate. Gotta order Rokinon 35mm, too. Double celebration WooHoo!!!!
  • @All Here's a GOP3 test to keep you up. videobitrate 24H = 200mbps. Pappas death chart stable.
    200mbps GOP3 with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    1415 x 764 - 337K
    200mbps GOP3 motion test with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    1317 x 688 - 92K
  • @stefanos

Yes, the GOP 3. I think it will keep up with motion just fine. Also, the individual frame quality will be better than is possible with GOP 1. It's perfect for me.

Chris
  • @stonebat thanks, so GOP1 is probably a bit more geared towards motion improvements and GOP3 bit more for static detail improvements?
    @cbrandin the GOP3 right? :)
    @driftwood thanks again.
  • @driftwood

Magnificent! I think you just came up with my new personal settings. Thanks.

Chris
  • Stop beeing so emotional @driftwood !! Joking, well done sir, thanks.
    Edited : nevermind my question...
    Thanks again (thx also to the Musketeers who helped!)
  • GOP1 might have much less motion artifact as there are nothing but I-frames, but it lowers the bit size of I-frame.

GOP3 might have little more motion artifact as there are B-frames, but it raises the bit size of I-frame.
  • @driftwood
    thank you for your efforts dude! very cool, will test tomorrow.
    can someone briefly explain the differences between 100mbps GOP1 and GOP3- pros + cons please?
  • @driftwood You did awesome job. Thanks man. 100Mbps GOP3 AQ2 Stable Cadence!!! 110Mbps worked fine, too.
  • @Stonebat - I feel a little taken aback by VKs comment earlier. Ive been toying with a ton of settings before I settled on the 24p Video Buffer being my main problem - but it got me to 100mbps on GOP1 and GOP3. If other more experienced ptools users can take it further then fine! The settings I posted were always geared towards 1080/24p 24H. In future I wont check (or leave unchecked) settings not required. Sorry once more VK.
  • I hope somebody tests this case, too.

Take high details on a tripod. Wait 30 seconds. Start panning. Not too fast. Just slow enough to keep the I-frame size high. Not too slow. Just fast enough to raise B-frame size. That will stress the codec. Actually this case seems very practical...
  • Awesome. Can you try motion, too? Just move around and see how the sizes of I and B frames change.

The more details, the higher I-frame size. The more motion, the higher B-frame size.
  • @Stonebat heres the 100mbps death chart with all of settings PROPERLY checked! Ill try pushing the bit rate more but we're probably hitting ther boundaries soon...
    corrected - 100mbps GOP3 with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    1407 x 779 - 333K
    corrected GOP3 100mbs - FBs x1.5- aq2 - setg.zip
    435B
    INFORMATION corrected - 100mbps GOP3 with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    406 x 319 - 17K
  • @driftwood Waiting for your pappas chart of death test result. Please post your settings!!! It will be super
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev You are being a bit harsh?! I forgot to check those FB & limits in my last tests thats all!
  • I think... 100Mbps is getting choked. Raise the overall rate more.

Video Bitrate 24H=110000000
    1080p24 T4=1080p24 T1
  • @stonebat Nice! I tried chris exact settings for FB1 FB2 and Limit - the result is the pappas chart of death below, as u can see the i frames stabilise to the same size as the B frames.

Note: ignore last test - redoing it - i forgot to check a few boxes, now Im getting f*ckin grief!
  • 1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=3
    Video Bitrate 24H ADD=100000000 < -- remove this
    Video buffer=0x3000000 < -- not necessary
    Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
    1080p24 FB1=1175040 < -- FB2/FBL absent

@driftwood
    You are full of posts and emotions, but very low on value.
  • Chris, ta for the FB tips. Charts below = Latest GOP 3 Test. Pappas Death Chart 2 min test = Success. FB1/FB2/FB Limit 1.5 multiplier. The I frames have dropped btw - The images look G-R-E-A-T!!! Here's the latest settiings attached. Enjoy!
    (NB this test was conducted only for 24H 1080p24)
    Note: Sorry forgot to check the boxes for FB2 and Limit. I'm tired VK gimmee a break!
    100mbps GOP3 with AQ=2 - FB1FB2FBLimit = 1.5 multiplier - pappas death test chart.png
    1407 x 838 - 425K
    Driftwood - 100 mbps GOP3 - FB1FB2FBL=1.5 multiplied on original AQ = 2 - - setg.zip
    424B
  • @driftwood Try exactly as Chris and VK advised. T4=T1, 1.5x on FBs and EFL, AQ2. Also 110Mbps!!! It passed my bush of death test.
    110M-3GOP-AQ2-1.5X.jpg
    1273 x 673 - 329K
  • @driftwood

You're getting a little detail pulsing there - maybe drop AQ to 2? Have you tried setting FB1, FB2, and frame limit to 1.5x the default?

Chris
  • GOP3 100mbps with QA = 3. Pappas chart = Success.
    VK / Chris: 1080p24 T4 = T1 - any recommednations?
    100mbps GOP3 with AQ=3 pappas death test chart.png
    1416 x 781 - 354K
  • @bannedinv Go for it. 3 GOP looks stunning! 1 GOP is incredible too.
  • @ driftwood : Testing your settings with 100mbs - gop1 high and 50mbps gop1 low now
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions