Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Official Low GOP topic
  • 1003 Replies sorted by
  • @kae
    Tried your settings and it looks okay!
    I use a Transcend class 6 card (freshly formatted) with no problems, only first frames "blip"
  • OK finaly i have time to start testing with hack. First i made my own settings, and result was really nice (quite low bitrate). Second i try Kaes and Buts settings, and those worked really fine only first frames "blip". No freezing, no write errors (Transcend class 10). I found something srange with colors. So i will go shooting some real stuff today, and try to get some sense what is going on. Keep on doing good work, and testing.
  • Can someone tell me, step-by-step, how to apply Kae's patch.

I mean from the very beginning from downloading PTools, just so I don't do anything wrong.

I'd appreciate it guys.
  • @Donnie88

So, more or less it goes like this:

1) Download ptools (ptool3.exe), the leaked firmware (GH2_V10.bin) and the Kae ini settings from this thread (setg.ini). Make sure that ptools3.exe and the ini file (in this case setg.ini) are in the same folder.

2) Open Ptools and load firmware.

3) In the bottom of the Ptools window there are a series of circles. Put your mouse cursor above the green one (it should be the G) and make sure that the pop-up message says: "KAE: 65 mb/s 1080 24p..." Then click on the circle. Another pop-up message will say: "settings loaded".

4) Save firmware wherever you want.

5) Put the firmware in your SD card.

6) Turn on the camera and hit the play button.

7) Follow the on-screen instructions.

8) Go out there and make an ass-kicking visual storytelling piece.
  • I grabbed this from July 20 in the pTool 3.61 topic. It's about the lower rate being at least 76% of the upper rate. Is this guideline being followed and how does it or not pertain to the GOP work that is being done in this thread?

Vitaliy_Kiselev July 20
    I'll repeat this here as this is important.
    Always keep lower bitrate settings within 95-70% of high bitrate settings.
    Otherwise you'llsee dramatic bitrate drop in this low modes.

0 _gl_gl July 20
    @Vitaliy_Kiselev. 70% is not enough:

24H: 42mpbs
    24L:
    30mpbs (71%) = 48,505 / 4,365,201 / 9,345,347 bps
    31mbps (74%) = 48,505 / 4,317,097 / 9,539,368 bps
    32mbps (76%) = 48,533 / 15,749,584 / 33,407,325 bps

So maybe 75% minimum.

0 Vitaliy_KiselevVitaliy_Kiselev July 20
    @gl
    Try to play with bottom bitrate patch for testers (lower or rising it gradually) keeping 30mbps in L mode.
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev

In testing different GOP, if I make changes to the AVCHD Compression settings in Patchers Testing, do I have to also make changes in the patches for enduser AVCHD section? If so, should they match?
  • Please help -- how do I download the .ini files? I assumed it would be a matter of clicking on the images posted on this board, but they appear as only images (.png files). Is it because I'm mac based? Feel like an idiot asking because there must be something I'm missing.

Already have the basic 42mbps hack installed and loving it, but want to do some serious tests on this in advance of a shoot in August (which hopefully will include some of the first serious underwater footage from a hacked gh2).

Thanks for anyone who can help.
  • Sorry, should have added @kae to the above request as I was wanting to try his most recent stable file. We have to get over 50 mbps for broadcaster compliance so I'm hoping this is just the ticket.
  • @jdn
    Not sure about macs but you must be logged in to download files, otherwise they just look like .png files. Otherwise, I have no clue.
  • Jeez. I knew I was doing something idiotic. Thought I was logged in but I wasn't. @svart THANKS! Gonna have a cup of coffee (obviously need it) and try out kae's fine work.
  • @Kai
    All my cards have the write issues. Have done any long testing, but playing around with keeping within 76% of the upper number has fixed my issues on the write. I'm still playing with some combo's of settings trying to understand what's going on. I'm going from 48mbs to 58mbs right now as your's worked fine last weekend when it was only set for 24p. Suppose to be doing something else right now so may be a while before I get any real testing done. But am happy to say, it's not my cards. Have 4-5 class 10 card and they have all performed fine through the months.
  • So i did my testing today with butts settings. Everythig work fine, and there was no problem with colors. I maby prefare 6 GOP with 24p, but that is question of taste.
  • @Kai
    @Butt
    Looking forward to trying your set-ups. Is it possible for you to check the still side to see for any errors. Would be great to do time lapse with out loading another patch but I would work that in to the work flow to get your low GOP look. I don't have my camera yet, coming in the next two days. I can test then but just curious.
    Thanks to VK and to you guys and everyone who is doing the great work.
  • @jfro

Good that you're testing. You're on the right track. I am going back to stock settings on all modes except 1080 24P to see if I can make the 65M 24P bulletproof without affecting the other modes. Then I will leave it to others to come up with stable settings for those other modes.
  • Can videos with these settings be rendered in a NLE to burn to DVDs or Blue Rays?
  • @parkgt

Absolutely. That's the whole point.
  • @ALL

TESTERS ONLY - KAE - 65M Extreme 1080 24P 3 GOP Settings with all other MODES STOCK

Since many have been having problems with some of my settings in modes OTHER than 24P I've decided to post just the unchanged 65M 1080 24P 3 GOP settings with all other modes set to stock (except 1080i/50 as the GOP is locked to the 24P GOP).

This will allow all of you to test just the 1080 24p mode knowing that all other modes will be stock and unaffected. You can then modify the other mode settings at will. The 65M extreme settings are targeted at the digital filmmaker who is looking for the best performance and highest quality out of the GH2 in 24P. It IS NOT targeted at the event shooter who needs to do hour long takes, etc.

For some reason in 1080 24P I can only write a 4 gig file, it will not span. This will give you roughly 7min 13 secs on the death chart and probably 10 minute takes on normal shots (similar to film). More than enough for a filmmaker but lousy for an event shooter. So be forewarned.

The 7 minute death chart clips will probably not play back in your cameras but most NORMAL footage in this mode will. The death chart clips will play back on the desktop and ingest into an NLE.

I'm going to stop testing anything other than the 24P mode as that's all I use, so I look forward to others testing those modes and coming up with high bitrate stable settings.

I would like to be able to post these 65M 1080 24P settings in the stable thread after you guys can prove that they are stable.

The 1080p will do a max of 65Mb/s average bit rate at 3 GOP with bursts up to 93 Mb/s and I don't know if the GH2 will ever do better, but Vitaliy surprises all the time.

Please start with a freshly formatted Class 10 card. I have shot the death chart 4 times for 7 minutes straight without issues so I think most of you will not have any probs with these 1080 24p settings.

To get JUST the 65M 1080 24P 3 GOP in your INIs all you need to change are these settings:

Video Bitrate 24H=65000000
    Video Bitrate 24L=35000000
    1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=3
    Video buffer 24p=0x3600000
    1080p24 High Top Setting=42418
    1080p24 High Bottom Setting=29692
    1080p24 Low Top Setting=31178
    1080p24 Low Bottom Setting=21824

If you want GOP 6 or 12 just change '1080i50 and 1080p24 GOP Size=' (GOP of 2, 4 and 5 will not work in 24P).

KAE65M24P3GOPOtherModesSTOCK.zip
    385B
  • @kae

I've not been able to kill your 24p 3gop settings at all.

I think now we need to figure out exactly what is gained from going through different bitrate ranges to find the best balance between quality and bitrate. I've noticed that between stock firmware and your settings, that some things in the frame are greatly increased in quality (bright details, high contrast scenes) while others seem to be the same (dark details and mud amount in scenes with large amounts of like colors and/or slightly out of focus objects). I think the stuff that looks the same might be more of a function of the encoder limits/settings rather than a limitation of the bitrate only. I think until VK and Cbrandin get more out of the codec, extreme bitrates might just be overkill. What do you think?
  • @svart

I think as long as they're stable they're not overkill as the higher detail will certainly help digital filmmakers looking to do blowups etc. But I agree, going any higher than the 65Mb/s will probably gain us nothing and that's why I've stopped there. It would be interesting to see an I frame only 1 GOP test at the highest bitrate to see if those flaws you find go away. So far, haven't been able to do that.

What I would like to know is: Does the higher bitrate decrease quality of image in any area or is the higher bitrate enabling higher detail in some areas so the flawed areas just look shittier by comparison? My guess is that it's the latter.
  • @kae

What about:
    Video Bitrate 24H ADD
    Overall Bitrate
    Overall Bitrate 2

Are these values useful to play with in your opinion? Should they also be set to 65mil? Do they really not affect 24H quality?

Thanks for your awesome settings!
  • @ka00

"What about: Video Bitrate 24H ADD Overall Bitrate Overall Bitrate 2"

In tests with Vitaliy they don't affect 24P if they are ALL unchecked. But they DO affect other modes. So if you want to increase data rate of 720p 50/60 or 1080i/60 you need to play with these, but it can lead to instability if you get it wrong. If you do decide to play with these make sure 24H ADD equals 65m to pair it with the 65M bitrate. But in other modes seek the help of gurus in those modes. I am not one.

• By now what are the best settings for 720p50?
  • @kae

What I meant was that even though the bitrate is much higher, the quality difference is not in equal ratio. A huge difference in bitrate(3x) has only equaled maybe 10%(my guess by looking) difference in detail.

Cbrandin mentioned this in another thread:

"If the best quality limit has been met for each macroblock in a frame the codec reduces bitrate instead of improving quality further."

Which makes me believe that the extremely high bitrate is not needed at this time. KNOWING that it's stable at such high rates is very useful though for when the time comes that Cbranding and VK are able to exercise the codec a little more and take full use of the increased bitrate.

I guess what I'm saying is that I believe that the bitrate is being eaten up by the increased I frames, not simply by individual frame quality itself, as each group of I frames is much larger in size than a group of I/B/P frames that equal the same quality once uncompressed.
  • @kae

Sorry to bug you as I know your a film guy, but from your testing, do you have any guesses at the highest 24h MBPS rate at GOP3 that will also allow for longer shooting (like 40 minutes?). Work in TV and hoping to get the GH2 over the 50 mbps compliance standards of most major broadcasters (discovery, history, bbc, natgeo, etc.) but also not sacrifice the ability to roll for an interview -- or at least roll for a bit longer than seven minutes. If there's anything you can point me too as a starting point for my own testing, would be much appreciated -- in doc TV, the GH2's ability to roll without sensor overheating is a big advantage over all other dslrs on the market so I'd like to not sacrifice that too much, but still if possible, get it over 50 mbps at GOP3 as I massively prefer a filmic look.

Thanks for any help you can provide. If anyone else there works in TV and wants to collaborate on this, please let me know.
  • @JDN

All those TV channels have the 50megabit requirement at 4:2:2 color space the GH2 even with the hack only produces 4:2:0. Which they wont accept knowing the source.

However Ive seen DSLR footage from Canon on these channels and that slipped thru the cracks. It is more based on the final look of the footage after processing than an arbitrary color space. You can always convert to a 4:2:2 codec they will increase file-size but will get you nothing new except possible acceptance.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions