Personal View site logo
RAW mode like Magic Lantern guys did for Canon cameras?
  • 53 Replies sorted by
  • Mmm, yes, the RAW video 14-bit from ML moves Canon DSLRs few more huge steps ahead.

Actually, they've always been steps forward the GH1/GH2, even GH3 in contrary to some people here who think the hacked higher details will change something in GHs.

Again, a lot of efforts were spent (and wasted surely) for chasing higher bitrates which actually give nothing different to GHs at all. No profiles and parameters were modified, no even a try, the GHs still keep the definitely videoish image, no matter what some would say.

Eh, maybe it's time to replace Lumix after all the hesitations...

Sorry if my opinion and thoughts hurt some people here, nothing bad.

• GH2 internals are more than up to spec, if they're getting raw video out of non-video EOS cameras, like the 50D. SD card is a problem though without being able to compress the raw, like the BMPCC does to SD.

ML is working on reducing precision to write 12bit and 10bit linear since apparently it's a problem doing compression in-camera on the 5D, etc. I believe I read they don't have access to all of the maths they'd need though they might have just tabled this and not abandoned it entirely. The EOS line doesn't have the equivalent to the Venus Engine though.

• There is a thread similar to this already so I expect VK will close this , however , whether this will happen I'm unsure it would take a lot of work , and whether its technically possible ? - not sure , the ghx use sd cards so card speeds will limit them , then there's the cameras internals being up to spec ... Gh3 should be good , gh2 unsure , regardless this would take a huge undertaking I believe even if it was technically possible...