Personal View site logo
RAW mode like Magic Lantern guys did for Canon cameras?
  • Is there any chance such thing could be done for GH2?

• 53 Replies sorted by
  • There is a thread similar to this already so I expect VK will close this , however , whether this will happen I'm unsure it would take a lot of work , and whether its technically possible ? - not sure , the ghx use sd cards so card speeds will limit them , then there's the cameras internals being up to spec ... Gh3 should be good , gh2 unsure , regardless this would take a huge undertaking I believe even if it was technically possible...

• GH2 internals are more than up to spec, if they're getting raw video out of non-video EOS cameras, like the 50D. SD card is a problem though without being able to compress the raw, like the BMPCC does to SD.

ML is working on reducing precision to write 12bit and 10bit linear since apparently it's a problem doing compression in-camera on the 5D, etc. I believe I read they don't have access to all of the maths they'd need though they might have just tabled this and not abandoned it entirely. The EOS line doesn't have the equivalent to the Venus Engine though.

• Mmm, yes, the RAW video 14-bit from ML moves Canon DSLRs few more huge steps ahead.

Actually, they've always been steps forward the GH1/GH2, even GH3 in contrary to some people here who think the hacked higher details will change something in GHs.

Again, a lot of efforts were spent (and wasted surely) for chasing higher bitrates which actually give nothing different to GHs at all. No profiles and parameters were modified, no even a try, the GHs still keep the definitely videoish image, no matter what some would say.

Eh, maybe it's time to replace Lumix after all the hesitations...

Sorry if my opinion and thoughts hurt some people here, nothing bad.

• I'm probably risking a ban here, but I don't think there will be anything meaningful to come from VK anymore. I have a feeling that these days he spends a lot more time following politics, administrating, posting and selling gear on this site than he does working on new tools and hacks. And he's probably making quite a bit more money selling stuff here than from donations for hacking cameras, so I can't really blame him (and he doesn't need to do a damn thing for us, either). Regardless, this is a great community so I'm thankful for that.

• @producer A lot of people dropped their canon for a gh2/gh3 for a reason, they were not blind; sure hacked 5dmk3 RAW is in another league, as is the pricerange...

• @ BlackLegSanji is right on all terms. Now days vk is very busy running this site. Better income and all. but yea men, what a grate community. we wont ever see raw video on gh series from vk. too much hours on programming when its better to make deals and charge for it. Its business as usual. Nothing bad about it.

• @producer Yep, we purposefully worked hard on developing stuff so you could produce your comment. See ya'

@BlackLegSanji Totally wrong. VK works continuously as and when he has the time. He has a family and a life too you know.

Reminder to all: this site is NOT just about Panasonic stuff. The fact that ML have found a way of extracting raw from the live view of the EOS range is an outstanding culmination of hard work and achievement from their team. Good things come in waves for all cameras. More support (yes, and donations) will only help VK improve this site, research and development. Get behind him, DON'T knock him.

• Guys - nobody owes you anything. VK doesn't owe you anything. But, he HAS given A LOT. He has given us the hack for many cameras. He has given us a cool community spot on the internet where a lot of great technical information can be found. He has given a cool community where a lot of other interesting topics are discussed by some pretty interesting and intelligent people (film, art, politics, culture, society). He has given us the deals. Very high quality products at good prices.

Bottom line - VK owes noone, but he HAS given a lot...and he continues to give.

Thanks for all that VK

• I'm probably risking a ban here, but I don't think there will be anything meaningful to come from VK anymore. I have a feeling that these days he spends a lot more time following politics, administrating, posting and selling gear on this site than he does working on new tools and hacks. And he's probably making quite a bit more money selling stuff here than from donations for hacking cameras, so I can't really blame him (and he doesn't need to do a damn thing for us, either). Regardless, this is a great community so I'm thankful for that.

Now days vk is very busy running this site. Better income and all. but yea men, what a grate community. we wont ever see raw video on gh series from vk. too much hours on programming when its better to make deals and charge for it. Its business as usual. Nothing bad about it.

LOL.

Guys, issue here is big misunderstanding from your side.

My fault being that I could not spend such bif amount of hours on one task I used to.

But it does not mean that I am waxing my carrot and doing nothing.
    Just in less than one month - updated NTool and also updated tool to decrypt Pentax cameras firmwares.
    I am not counting things related to Sony hacks that also require time (and software originating from this work and from this talks will be used on Panasonic cameras also).

• Frankly I think we wouldn't need firmware hack anymore. The latest cameras have pretty good image quality.

• @stonebat Lol. We will always need hacks for big company's.

• @Stonebat

8bit is still a big issue and the lack of a log type picture profile is still a big issue. RAW would solve both of those on Panisonic camera's. it might also help with moire and aliasing like it did with the 5D3.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Even if you were to never successfully hack another camera, you've already made (and continue to make) monumental contributions to the filmmaking community, which is more than most people can say.

• BMCC supports RAW but it shows moire and aliasing. Prolly 4k and color filter advancement will help better. My point is that image quality from official firmware seems no longer a major bottleneck.

• @Brian202020 RAW is only more flexible, the image depends on you. Being 8bit does not stop you from making grate imagery. Yes it sucks on post cos its not so flexible. But what i know for a fact, today 2013 RAW does take you time, BIG TIME. Unless you have massive 3 racks of 16 core 1u servers and ultra raid tech on it. AVCHD is drag and drop. :)

• @VK: I apologize for my assumptions. I just felt too much of your presence on this site so I thought you had little time to do anything else. I'm a programmer too and I know these things require our undivided attention for long periods of time. Of course you don't owe anyone here anything and should only work on things you're passionate about regardless of what some random strangers expect you to do. So if there's more good stuff to come, that'd be great, if not, it'd be fine too. The community is more helpful for video enthusiasts than any hacked camera is :)

• @endotoxic

I agree with 8bit not stopping anyone from making great imagery. I will say it has on many occasions knowing a camera was 8bit forced me into shooting a certain way to limit banding as much as possible, which is limiting creativity. Also as a shooter I want the image delivered to the client to be as perfect as possible. This means 10bit or better with a log picture profile.

As for RAW being time consuming, it really isn't that bad. I've edited several RAW projects on my 2008 MacBook Pro. I'd say from ingest to final edit, it's at most a 15% increase in time over an H264 acquisition, and maybe a %30 increase in time over a ProRes acquisition. It's all about finding the most efficient workflow possible for the project.

• Whoops, wrong thread :)

• @vicharris

5D RAW footage will be in the appropriate thread. This thread is about hopefully eventually getting RAW on the Panasonic camera's.

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/6823/raw-video-on-canon-5d-mark-3-and-other-cameras-using-liveview-framebuffer-#Item_263

• I don't have any disrespectful attitude to all of the mighty persons who work hard on releasing some significant patches for GHs. But I think that too much hard work was spent in one and the same direction which, as I wrote many times, will never stop and nothing will change more at all. Yes, some people here are against my point about working on the GHs profiles and expanding their parameters, but if this eventually came real already, the same people would be the first using such a patch, I'm sure.

How many patches more very similar to each other, when in fact only 3 or 4 of them are being used by the GHs people?

Again, my attitude is absolutely positive! Not only thanks and praises would help.

• The ML manipulation of the Canon firmware is laudable but in real world terms I'm just wondering how useful this would be in the broadcast world - the hysteria surrounding it is a bit of a chuckler to be honest.

• Producer obviously has a very narrow experience, even here. There are more than three or four patches just from Driftwood being used by many, in different ways. Several patches come with very unique aesthetics. It's not just about bit rates.

More time should be spent really understanding these things before making such bold, inaccurate statements. I forget that myself sometimes so my attitude is absolutely positive as well.

• The ML manipulation of the Canon firmware is laudable but in real world terms I'm just wondering how useful this would be in the broadcast world - the hysteria surrounding it is a bit of a chuckler to be honest.

It's likely not useful at all for the broadcast world, raw shooting, until storage and processing and bandwidth are at such a level that compression and techniques involving time and space savings create more work rather than less.

Big budget episodic network television isn't going to be shooting raw as a standard. Shows like NBC's Hannibal and FOX's The Following are shot on the Alexa but to ProRes. They shoot hours of footage for every hour broadcast. The ML-raw paradigm has even less to offer broadcasters than a well integrated raw paradigm.

It's for amateur shooters and independent filmmakers who like and can handle being bleeding edge, a different state entirely than cutting edge.

• Perhaps more useful at this point would be if Panasonic added official ProRes or some form of compressed raw support. That and plain, not-hidden-behind-setting-names curve adjustment options for 8bit and 10bit formats. If they absolutely need to recoup costs of format licenses and/or are worried about confusing consumers or eating away market share from professional division, some kind of optional "Professional Settings Upgrade for G series" solution might cover it.

Not sure if such things would be possible for GH2, but maybe for newer models, considering that UHS-I SD cards have fast enough transfer rates for at least ProRes 422. Hope they're reading…

• @BurnetRhoades my thoughts exactly - Red footage is the bane of post already, needing storage, time and dedicated hardware, and in the real world budgets are going South, daily (in the UK anyway) With no increase from Production managers in any of the above areas, i can't see RAW being utilised in mainstream TV in the near future without production re-thinking budgets. Offline budgets have been decimated and ingestion budgets haven't increased with the new codecs and storage requirements - leading to a bit of a dead end. In the end the camera operator doesn't decide the camera to use on a project the man with the £ does.