Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • Looks like the raw compression maybe 2:1

• What did you test the Cosmicar 6.5mm with? I'm guessing if it fits the gh2 it will fit the pocket fine? Are all MFT mounts the same? Read that some c-mounts are too deep and can hit the sensor (or break your shutter on still cameras).

• A bit of barrel distortion on the sides tough.

• My new Cosmicar 6,5mm f1.8 1inch, No Vignetting =>18,72 mm (2.88 Crop)

super16mm.jpg
    800 x 600 - 139K
  • "How about using a tripod?"

not everyone likes lifeless, staged looking shots.

• If you have FCPX and need more control get MotionBend. I hear really good things. I will probably be purchasing soon.

http://www.motionbend.com/

• Don't expect miracles. Woks well with pans but not with more complex motion in the frame.

• DANG! I didn't realize that those worked so well to remove Rolling Shutter Skew. I must admit that it's very comforting to know that if we do end up with skewed footage that it can be repaired for the most part. It may not be perfect but it's more than good enough for me.

• @Chaos123x

Yes FCPX does it automatically on import if you want it to. It does a really good job too. I use that feature all the time.

• How about using a tripod? lol

But really if you want a global shutter get the 4K it's actually pretty dirt cheap also.

Also doesn't FCP X automagically correct this?

• @shian

Have you considered After Effects CS6 rolling shutter repair? I know it's an extra step, but seems pretty effective to me.

• You guys just have to put all ideas and strength together and raise a kickstarter campaign on a bad ass M43 adapter à la speed booster with image stabilization and anamorphic capabilities with multiple lens mounts! Oh and a built in variable nd filter! I know I'm so ahead !

• Just call it JCj (Jellocam Jr.) Mark my words: m43 glass with Image Stabilization will be fine, But the length of 35mm and 50mm full frame "go-to" lenses on this thing are gonna be a jello train wreck. if Super 16mm lenses aren't going to cover the sensor, most will be using the glass already in their kit, and other easily obtained lenses. --- Jello city.

It's a very nice image, but I'm thinking the lower price is so you can go out and buy all new glass JUST for this cam.

• @Chaos123x

This is from BMD's site: "When using ProRes you can record for more than 50 minutes on a 64GB SD card at 24 frames per second and swapping cards takes just seconds!" so it looks like right around 50 mins of ProRes

• @fatpig: same here, my 45mb/s work like a charm with all settings. the old 45mbs were not good, but the new ones ressemble the old 30mbs ones.

• Of course we will all test with the GH2 cards we already have. No hurry to buy something here.

I never had a problem with the Intra driftwood patches and my 45mb/s card.

Not to be mistaken with the 30mb/s ones which are a disaster.

• @fatpig I would be careful about the 45 mb/s card as this card is known to be problematic (sometimes) with the GH2, with the increased data rates of the cinema camera the fact that the 45 mb/s appears in an ad may turn out to be misleading. All I know is John Brawley is currently using the 64/95 card and that the price for these cards will be lower when the pocket camera arrives, so I am holding out for any additional card till Blackmagic gives us a card list.. Which I believe they have said they will do on release :)

• In one of their Ads they showed the BMPCC with the 45 mb/s and the 95 mb/s - i assume prores with its ~220mbps should work no problem on a 45mb/s card.

Does anyone know the size of a 1080p DNG? Should be all we need to estimate the minimum speed of the card.

• Just under 30 min. The vids only show them using the 95mbs cards.

• Any word on how much Pro-Res video will fit on a 64gb SD card?

Do you have to use 95mbs cards or can you get away with slightly cheaper cards like the 45mbs? I doubt I will use RAW often.

Also a hour of battery life sounds awful, not sure if I should walk around with pocket full of batteries or create some type of rig with a bigger battery.

• Or maybe we just say we've got a small BM or a big BM?

• @Brian202020. The new Aptinia S16 sensor give BM a potential upgrade path to 4K.

• Ok well I will continue on with BMCC for the Blackmagic Cinema Camera (BMCC EF or BMCC MFT went talking about a specific models), BMPC for Blackmagic Production Camera, and BMPCC for Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera. To me abbreviating what Blackmagic gives us makes the most sence. I do use C47 tho :)

• @Brian202020

Three's the limit! Not really but for serious: DVX, HVX, F3, EX1, GH2, GH3, NEX, RED

You can say all of these, including Alexa and even FS100, C300, pretty much MOST cameras' identifiers in public and they sound great...

BMC.

Not even. BMPCC. DEFINITELY not even.

Up until NAB I put in work to force everyone around me to say Blackmagic, that sounds better. Hell I think I'll continue to use that in person and refer to the others online as whatever. xD

And yes, I realize that this is as trivial as calling a Clothespin a C47.