Personal View site logo
2K BlackMagic Pocket Cinema Camera, active m43, $995
  • 4493 Replies sorted by
  • @Kholi

Five letters too long for ya? :)

• @Brian202020

We shall cross that road when the time comes... but there's no way in hell I'm going to keep writing "BMPCC", and I'm sure as hell not going to say it out loud hahaha

• @Kholi

What happens when Blackmagic makes another 4K camera?

• @Brian202020

BPC = Blackmagic Pocket Camera B4K = Blackmagic Production Camera BV1 = Blackmagic CInema Camera

Say them out loud, FEEL the names.

xD Or don't.

• @Aria

BMPC=Blackmagic Production Camera (the Super35 4K one)

BMPCC=Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera

I figured you were talking about the BMPCC but forgot a "C". Just wanted to clear up some confusion if there is any for anyone.

• There are people who are willing to use the Nikon D5200/7100 for the DR and Color and yet we have some complaints about the sharpness of the BMPC? It's surely got enough detail for what most of us need and i'm pretty sure it will not only be much more tweakable for Color and sharpness and with the added DR should give better image than the GH2. For me it's the overall package when it comes to IQ.

• @double_vision

1. Nikon "RAW VIDEO" or whatever you call one second burts of stills is 4K.
    2. Shorter video for Nikon RAW video = Better Compression

So, it should appear "sharper".

• So, Im not the only one who thinks the image looks a bit soft, nikon v1 raw (

) is sharper than the 1st footage of the bmpcc. However, we cannot jump into wild conclusion at the moment.

• yeap looks a lot better ungraded, the promised dynamic range is there,

but, i dont know about the resolution, the gh2 seems a lot sharper to my eyes, i would like to see more footage though, the nd filter, the iso 800, the lens used and the vimeo recompression contributes to a softer image, but to what extent, is immposible to say for now...

• I for sure like the ungraded footage better, Thanks for posting.

I'm a curious how my samyang 7,5 mm m4/3 will work on the bmpcc (if it will feel less fisheye)

Also wonder how my cheap pana 14-42 will work on this. On my gh2 it works good in daylight, but maybe it will fall apart without in camera correction? otherwise it woul be nice with the bmpcc thinkning of size, wheight and the fact that it has IS.

• Guy's John have posted the ungraded version of the BMPCC footage looking good, looking good. Can't wait to get my hands of this little beast.

• Thanks @Vitaliy_Kiselev. I read a review a while back that didn't like it, but maybe they had a bad sample. Might have to grab a couple.

• @_gl

Sony and Panasonic wide adapters are good. You can search for topics here.

• @kholi, as fast as possible for me as I need to do occasional low-light. Though I would trade speed for small, light & cheap.

@philiplipetz I've considered the Panny wide adapter for use with my GH2s, but the quality isn't that great from what I read.

• Panasonic sells a very highly regarded wide angle converter for their 14-42 Vario X series and 14mm pancake lens that take them to 11mm with no loss of f stop and minimal IQ loss, principly some edge distortion. other people have used them on Olympus glass.

• I think an excellent solution would be the Sigma 10-20mm f3.5 with a speedbooster. This lens is a constant f3.5. That would mean a 7-14mm f2.5. Pretty hard to beat that for a wide angle zoom.

http://www.amazon.com/Sigma-10-20mm-3-5-EX-Nikon/dp/B002D2VSD6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1367014374&sr=8-2&keywords=sigma+10-20mm+f3.5

The only problem is we have to wait for the speedbooster.

• @matthere it's the same. It has the same TX settings. jb

• Does anyone know about the timelapse properties of the pocket camera? I seem to remember that all of the BM cameras will have same menus and same firmware.. Just not sure what timelapse options there might be, if any?

• Well... good thing I prefer to only shoot at focal lengths above 40mm! The Lumix G 12-35 f2.8 should be good for almost everything!

• How fast does the 8~9.5mm Prime need to be for people here?

I'm in a different boat, from my own testing with BV1 MFT (Blackmagic Version 1) and Pocket Cam crop, I know an 8 or 9.5mm is the widest I would ever need, and I have access to that in various forms. Those primes are T1.3.

But, how fast does an 8mm or 9.5mm need to be for you guys to be acceptable? 2.8?

I've got a test that I need to run, but I might have a solution for this that's been overlooked.

• @Micah, the term for opposite of parfocal is varifocal.

• Yeah 8-9mm is what I would want too, preferably in a small fast prime & affordable. For me the beauty of the Pocket is keeping it small, light and stealth, for found footage on the move. I'm not interested in sticking a large rig or matte box on it (although for some that will be cool too).

Any options there?

• @Tungee78 I thought the discution was for wider lens as 36mm is really moderately wide. That is why I was talking about the speedbooster with the 11-16, to make it more like a 8mm at its widest giving a 24 mm full frame look.

• I think shallow DOF is not necessary. It is just another tool in our box. But I'd rather have RAW than shallower DOF. :)