Personal View site logo
Panasonic G6 topic, GH2 replacement camera
  • 1330 Replies sorted by
  • You can set the iA button to only respond to a long press, so it's not a problem. I believe some people posting in GF2 hack topics were stating that they use iA.

• Does anyone actually use the iA function? I find it an ugly button. ;-)

• If anyone finds a video of the focus peaking in action please do post :)

• It now seems that after all the reshuffling of the models and features, Panasonic has finally a better line-up:

GH series: full featured professionel with EVF and newest sensor.

G series: full featured with EVF and last year's sensor.

GF series: entry level compact with last year's sensor.

But where should the GX series be? A full featured professional compact with newest sensor? Would be cool to just have a GH3 (with mic in, headphones out) without the EVF in a compact body.

• Just my guess, but GH3 owners who shoot with top priority with dynamic range for money probably don't care. Others...well some will rationalize and others might feel sour.

• I wonder how GH3 users feel now.. they paid much more for sealed body (not a top priority for many) and a better dynamic range, but no focus peaking, evident moirè, uneasy i/o on the lcd pivoting side, bigger sensor crop, no zoom rocker. Was it worth the extra money?

• Silly question but now that the G6 has a 3.5mm mic jack does that mean we can plug in 3.5mm shotgun mics and everything will be OK? This alone would make me consider upgrading from the GH2.

• @firstbase they look like the back of sooo many cameras.. LCD on the left, cross buttons/wheel on the right and single buttons around. Many models have this scheme.

• Any word on if this camera will have live output while recording?

• Ok, not bad. Not that I need it right now, but this might be a whole lot interesting than the gh3 when ported (IMO).

• @RRRR It is $750 with the 14-42mm on Amazon.

• Interesting cam. Is it confirmed that it´s the same sensor as the gh2? Any quotes on pricing?

• So, other than the fact that it will need time to hack, are there other things we'd give up beyond those mentioned in the list by @MarcioK?

It would be great if someone (that is not me :) were willing to spend some time on a chart comparing the GH2, G6 and GH3 features.

And what is the U.S. pricing for the body only package looking like? I noticed $958 in one of the above links for a kit with the 14-42. (EDIT: @Muddmanrich Shows Amazon at $750).

• Best of all: Microphone level adjustable: 19 levels!

This will probably be my next camera. Hopefully, body only price will be reasonable.

• i hope Pany give us focus peaking in our GH3 !!!! I cant believe them…. they lie all the time! They told us , that they can't put it in their best camera…. and now a smaller model has it .

• The zoom rocker on the top

In fact, view it as second wheel, can be used to change aperture and exposition compensation.

• This one sparked my interest, a lot. Since I'm only a hobbiyst, the GH3 was already overkill (specially in price for me) to replace my GH2, but this one have a lot of things that I liked:

• Bigger handgrip without adding a lot of bulk in the overall camera size - I have big hands and the handling of the GH2 is sometimes tricky, especially taking photos.
    • Focus peaking - I love to shoot with old lenses, and even being able to achieve good focus with the GH2 EVF, this is a very welcome addition.
    • Improved EVF and LCD (OLED, in this case);
    • Wi-Fi and NFC: not killer features (especially for video work - except if you plan to use an Android tablet as monitor :) ), but is sometimes useful to fast send a picture;
    • More processing power and better buffer flush speed;
    • More Fn buttons - hope that they are customizable.
    • Same bitrate as the stock GH2 - hope that it have the same video quality;

Dislikes:

• Since it has the GH2 sensor, WHY not mantain the multi-aspect feature?
    • The zoom rocker on the top - ok, it's a consumer oriented camera, but since (as i remember) all the m43 powered zooms already have a zoom rocker, looks like a waste of space (or there are more powered zooms in the future);
    • Gone (compared to the GH2) are the drive mode, focus mode and focus point dials. Huge letdown. Probably could be mapped to the Fn buttons, but I always prefer dials;
    • The mics looks smaller than GH2's (a complaint that I have with the GH3 too). Yeah, you could attach an external mike, but one of the things that I like to record are live concerts, and the GH2 mics are remarkably good (better than the ones in my Zoom H1), always clear and without distortion - but I know that it is a personal complaint;
    • Don't know yet if Vitaly can work his magic in this one. :) The GH2 stock image was remarkably good, but hacked it becomes a beast.

Will wait the reviews, maybe could be my GH2 replacement (photo quality is a issue for me too, I use the GH2 to photograph the concerts that I go - sometimes working for the concert promoters). But the focus mode and focus point missing dials could be the deal breaker.

• @stonebat

Check product p[age, it is same as for G5.

• What about battery? Same as GH3's?

• Seems be a good camera, but its very ugly, what happened Panasonic?

• This is my perfect camera....after it's running flowmotion v3. Hopefully they've got the timelapse bug worked out, and....it's got peaking !!!!!! And it's got mpeg at 60p which is nice. A step up from the gh2..... they should call this the gh2.5. They'll be some nice kit prices in 6 months...and you can expect those ridiculous gh2 used prices to drop big time ! Good show pany ! Might be a surprise to some gh3 owners that they might be thinking peaking is on it's way, but don't be too sure. Sensor design of the gh3 sensor might not allow it and this is pany's answer. Did I say....it's got peaking !!!!

• Other than the eyesore butt ugly strap lugs, very nice.

They are much more confortable comparing to GH2 and GH3 crap.

• Other than the eyesore butt ugly strap lugs, very nice. I presume no All-I frames mode.