Personal View site logo
New Black Magic RAW Cameras: Pocket and S35 4k, general talk
  • 108 Replies sorted by
  • I'm finally jaded by cameras, I think. I won't be excited until there's a buy-it-now link on B&H.

• Let's see - either they get their shit together this time or ruin it completely.

Yep. As it seems like they want to make cameras line, not to compete in price range directly with existing camera.

It will be also important who makes sensors, if it is Sony or someone with enough capacity and expirience it must be much better now.

• How on earth can they announce a new cam when they haven't gotten out a fraction of the "old" one. How will they meet demand?

So now they have 4 models and can't manufacture 1. It's absurd. I've been waiting since sept.

• cant believe that they are able to buy a 35mm 4k sensor and still realize a profit at this price point. It's also hard to imagine that they did realize gains with the 2,5k CC up to now.

• @peaceonearth

Most fun if existing BMCC will slide to around $1999 with annoucment

• The pocket camera with panny 7-14 is perfect for drones, light and powerful. Will add one to my copter. Waiting some news on specs.

• I love what they're trying to do, but there's people still waiting for their pre-ordered Jellocams, and now they're announcing cameras that will make them cancel their order and wait another year to find out they want to cancel that second order. If the 4K version goes M43, they might actually get my money. I small lightweight 4K RAW cam would be awesome, but not with a EOS mount, you'd think they'd learned their lesson the first time and went M43 so as to have the most versatility in the glass dept, and an easy PL solution with an adapter.

• I made separate product topics (as it'll be hot thing).
    All general talk remains in this existing topic.
    And specific products and specs are discussed in their topics, as usual on P-V.

Product topics

• @peaceonearth yes, you are right! 4K raw S35 for 3395 is quite unbelivable, considering kineRAW has a higher price point and is all chinese! if it's true all the market will be earthquaked.

• @shian for the S35 the EOS mount will be not too bad. Probably most m43 lenses wont fit for the larger sensor.

• yes, you are right! 4K raw S35 for 3395 is quite unbelivable, considering kineRAW has a higher price point and is all chinese!

kineRAW is quite different beast, small volumens, and quite long time in development.

• @shian they can't go m43 on the 4K model, it has a S35 sized sensor, which is not covered by m43 lenses!

• i wouldn't use M43 lenses on it, duh - but I wouldn't have to dismantle the mount to put PL or anything else on it for that matter - with M43 you can get adapters for anything - EOS...not so much. Nobody is dumb enough to put M43 glass on that thing.

They're gunning for Canon users, so they made it so Canon EF users to have access to their stupidly designed non-manual aperture lenses. But they missed the boat. No serious filmmaker uses lenses that aren't fully manual.

• Would you make a camera with a mount/sensor combo that makes lenses for that mount useless, so that the active mount is there for nothing?

• E mount or X mount would be best solution, allowing every kind of lens and also Canon's EF with metabones adapters.

• Yup, that's what I'm saying. I'm saying fuck Canon and their stupid lenses. but you're right E mount or X would make more sense than EOS - except they still can't get past the fact that they seem to think Canon is competition - if you do this right - you make 2 versions - one for those idiotic Canon lenses, and another for the real filmmakers.

• Just thoughts

NAB 2014. Blackmagic announced 8K camera for $2995 and 4K m43 camera for $995.
    On continued questions on shipping date of cameras annouced at NAB 2013 they answered very clearly and optimistically: "It'll certainly happen before next NAB".

• @shian

I think PL mount makes more sense. Or E mount, but for lower end camera.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev I'm not so sure about PL mount. With this price tag, features, shape and possible rear connections they are clearly aiming at a mid-low budget market. Indipendent film makers or small companies can't jump on the PL wagon if only the camera is cheap but the lenses have Hollywood prices. And big productions will still buy RED or Sony due to pro form factor of their products, allowing modularity, proper connections, etc... So a low budget camera with a high budget mount would have no market in my opinion.

• @jazzroy

In this case, they need E Mount. And it looks like story with BMCC will continue :-)

• They don't specify the DR for the 4k camera? I hope they are not trading Dynamic range for just the sake of resolution.

• I think people are completely mistaken about the delivery of these two cameras. Perhaps the reason these two are announced now is to ease up the fiasco of the BMC 1. The problem was not black magic production but the sensor. As the CEO said that having a whole warehouse of parts and production staying idle was not a pretty sight. Mor so about the investment and lack of revenue. I am sure BM went in search of other sensor manufacturer to try to find a replacement or alternative. In the process they got someone that had the production and quality control to make the BM factory working.

The second effect is that so many people are going to push a sight of relief and thank BM for taking time to deliver BMC 1 because they will put their money in BMC 2.

• @danyyyel

If there's a DR trade, it's for Global Shutter, at the sensor not an external peripheral aka RED's new "motion mount"... which has existed in another form (similar concept) for a while now.

• @shian I love what they're trying to do, but there's people still waiting for their pre-ordered Jellocams

I just got an email last week from Abel Cine Tech that my BMCC had arrived...7 months late.

Fool me once...

I'll just keep using my R1 tank with overcrank until next year when the 4k actually ships.

• M mount would be the best option, good for manual and EOS glass. E mount is the next best option and already speedboosterable.