Personal View site logo
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • He usually films himself with the Canon C300, or at least that's what he was filmed with for the EF mount review.

• It is not as bad as 5d Mk II but worse than GH2.

• Did I understand right, he was filmed by the BMD? What an ugly aliasing and moiré in his suite. Looks horrible like the Canon 5DM2.

• PB feels a bit lackluster lately, but hey, sleepy cats are not the worst for a camera with a fast lens to test.

• @fetzu

Seems like sensor shipments are still very limited.

• Here's hoping they AT LEAST give us clearer time frames for avaibility at NAB. I don't really care about the active MFT, just having the passive MFT before 2017 (or before Sony/Canon/someone else comes with something similar(ly priced)) would be enough right now.

• Phillip Bloom's got one with Voigtlanders and MagicSLR's;

On his website he has small review.

[VK] On his website advertisments take 2/3 space and review is barely visible.

• How do you know that they're not just empty boxes :-)

This is good though, finally Europe is getting some cameras.

• the camera really exists ;-) German dealer teltec posted the arrival of nine items today in FB

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10151338822757616&set=a.305050642615.148487.238734127615&type=1&theater

• Could someone who has the camera try and shoot some footage with the lens cap on and share the results?

This is what came from "our" camera: http://www.pixeleraproduktion.se/dngtobmd.zip

My friend had some artifacts which looked like dead pixels. I can´t find any on my computer when opening them in PS.. It would be interesting to know if someone else had issues like that.

• I'll wait until it's in stock...

only if the Ikonoskop wasn't very expensive, it would have been a nice option.

• I went into B&H ProVideo department today, and asked about availability. I was told "five weeks" wait time for EF mount, with no information available for MFT. It's not clear if that means they clear backorders first, but that's what I assume... and by the time NAB comes around, there may be a new model announced (here's hoping it's an active mount MFT.)

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev, this is a good series of video tests. I'm glad we got to see the BMC with Pro Mist filters. I know it wasn't about the effect on minimizing moire but at least it gives a sense of what it does to the image. I think the BMC detail is great. I'd rather have more detail to start with especially since I'd be using cheaper lenses and filters with it.

• @rockroadpix

Agreed, and you can even operate it for a while like that with a small lens – that was my very first contact with it during IBC. But you don't need that grip to operate it, it works with the touch scree alone. Highly modular concept.

• @johnbrawley, I'm sure they weighed the cost of such things and came up with the most cost effective design they could at the time. However I would suggest they could've prioritized having a few buttons that were perhaps programmable for most often used functions. They could've went with a smaller more flexible LCD to allow low or high hand position and a cheaper rubberized plastic body that would allow for a grip. Small concessions that would make for a more ergonomic design.

Just my opinion but there was no reason to go with the no grip wedge design, big touch screen with limited view angle and no programmable buttons just to get the price down to $3k. I'm convinced I could design a body that could accommodate the electronics but still include a form that is easier to handle and view from high or low angles. Even still using Aluminum if they so desired. Lets be honest the basic DSLR form factor is well established so no need to reinvent the wheel for the BMC. Can't see why that should add so much to the cost.

How much could it cost to have a few programmable buttons placed in a convenient spot? My kids have toys with such things .

• @johnbrawley

The simpleness of the design is a large reason the BMCC costs 3k.

But simpleness can be reason for other companies coming with similar products at upcoming NAB.

• @Aria

Everyone knows how to play soccer.....but mostly we're arm chair experts....

The simpleness of the design is a large reason the BMCC costs 3k.

jb

• @aria

Not too much different from the BMC.

other than about 4lb difference (without rig) I've tried using the bmcc handheld as I'm sure you have as well, not a very fun task at all.

• @nomad - no, disagree. I'm referring to the scarlet with the necessary grip.

@hunter - digi bolex - lust worthy? we'll see...

• I think we get the idea of what Blackmagic was going for but a more wieldy form wouldn't have hurt IMO. A grip, buttons and a more flexible LCD can't add to the cost in any significant way but would make it FAR more functional.

• Maybe I'm missing the point here, but I'm pretty sure the BMCC is meant to be a capture device, not a prosumer video camera. It would have been the easiest thing in the world to add a handgrip to the form factor but that doesn't seem to be what they were going after. The case could be made that CMOS sensors aren't meant to be primarily handheld. Does the RED get dinged for not looking like a DSLR? I think there's room in the market for the BMCC to be as sleek and low profile as they've made it. It sure fits in my bag better than the C300. And for those looking for a native handheld device there's the Ikonoskop or Digital Bolex, which are both lust worthy in their own rights.

• I just think Black Magic was trying too hard to make it look like an Apple product. There wasn't much reason to go with that form factor. The direction of a DSLR is great for handheld shooting which is how I do a lot of my shooting besides sitting on tripod. It's the reason why I like the C300 form. It's still easy to operate handheld, but with dedicated buttons that make it FAR more ergonomic and fast to operate.

Actually one of the best forms I think was the Sharp VL-H860 Hi8 camera which I still own. Not too much different from the BMC.

Sharp VL-H860 photo 520914444_tp_zps8638ebe2.jpg

• They are both boxes…

• I would take the form factor of the Scarlet as an alternative.