Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Black Magic: Official $1,995 raw cinema camera topic, series 2
  • 1111 Replies sorted by
  • Considering they can't get the EF mount out the door on time I find this highly unlikely timing. Either Blackmagic are extremely stupid or this rumour is a pile of shit, hmmm I wonder which...

It is simple, this guys have no sources conserning Black Magic.

So, this is like broken phone. We are talking about active mount option it moves to other places and slightly later rumor sites come with amazing rumor news :-)

• Great great DR.

• Looks amazing.

• ''BMCC records: 1980x1080 422 "ProRes 422 (HQ)" at 220mbps, 1980x1080 422 "DNxHD 220" at 220mbps''

For PAL users who are locked in to the Avid platform, this represents an interesting problem. AFAIK, the highest resolution available is DNxHD 180, DNxHD220 being an NTSC resolution - anybody able to comment on this?

• Yes sorry, 220 is 30p, 180 is 25p, and 175 is 24p.

• Thanks - phew!

• Looking at the detail this camera resolves has got me thinking. How much is the camera asking for in terms of resolving power from a full frame lens?

When filming RAW it's asking for 2.5K through a window in the lens smaller than a GH2.

I don't know the maths behind it but let's say you extrapolate that sensor, taking that pixel per inch/mm ratio and scale it up so that the sensor was being projected onto by the whole full frame lens, what would the resolution be?

I hope it's not asking too much of a tiny window in our old manual primes.

• Having gotten great results shooting stills on my old Nikkor primes on my 5DmkII, I don't think we have anything to worry about with 2.5K. Depends on the look you want though, I prefer the older manual prime look to the latest and greatest Canon L glass usually.

• Okay, here goes...

The resolution of the sensor is 2432 x 1366. This is a total of 3,322,112 pixels.

The sensor size is 15.81mm x 8.88mm. This is an area of 140.3928mm squared.

Dividing the pixels over the area of the sensor there are 23662.97987 pixels per square mm

Taking the size of a full frame sensor which is 35.9mm x 24mm. This is an area of 861.6mm squared.

861.6 / 140.3928 means that full frame has a sensor area 6.137066858 times bigger than the BMC.

So... 6.137066858 x the 3,322,122 pixels of the BMC comes out to a total of 20,388,023.45 pixels.

So effectively if the BMC was full frame it would be about 20 megapixels and our old manual lenses should be able to handle that.... phew

• @arknox

We have discussed this over at BMCUSER, and your findings are in line with what we talked about. With the D800 with 36mp and the rumored Canon having even more, I would assume all current glass will be fine as well as most older glass.

• @brain202020

Still feels good to figure it out. Great, good old AIS glass is still going strong.

• Some superb footage by Philip Bloom

• The low light stuff in Bloom's piece is not very appealing :-/ .... (he acknowledges that it's not a low light camera).

• Look at how video noisy the nighttime interview shots are.... and it almost looks like he used neat video or something as it feels a lot more "plastic-y" than much of the other nice BMMC shots.

• Yes, I want to know more about the low-light capability of the BMMC. This could be its weakness?

• Just take a look at the nighttime shots on Marco Solorio's video. It's no FS100, but it does pretty well.

• Just take a look at the nighttime shots on Marco Solorio's video. It's no FS100, but it does pretty well.

Yea, the Blackmagic Cam is actually cleaner at 1600iso... it's just that the FS100 goes higher. I'd consider it a pretty good low-light cinema cam. Sure, something like the 5DIII can go up to clean 3200iso... but it's 8-bit low-res image with no detail and flexibility... the image isn't up to par to begin with, so who cares about the performance at ANY iso?

I've kind of just stopped watching the reviews from the "popular" guys. It's clear that while they're not being "payed" by companies like canon, per se, they'll stop getting support if they were to show the BMCC in a better light than something like the C300. It's pretty clear when you watch a few of the reviews how they'll "talk-around" the areas where the BMCC is clearly beating canon's "cinema" cams...

It's better to just making your own calls these days in the era of "camera-review celebrities". Politics are at play, no matter what anyone tells you.

• @bwhitz In this video, however, Marco Solorio does clearly favor the BMCC, and the results of the test actually made me quite happy for what it can achieve. Specially the low light capabilities surprised me, and although 1600iso is tops when shooting ProRes or DNxHD, there's no limit when shooting RAW, and that's just for now. I bet they'll add wider functionality through firmware updates!

• Yea, that was a great review. I was only talking about reviews from the "famous" reviewers... everyone knows who they are. These lesser known production teams (like OneRiver Media) still have the ability to perform direct un-biased side-by-side reviews. The "most popular" BMCC reviews I've seen have just been hidden-commercials for the C300.

• Also keep in mind that treating uncompressed footage with a good temporal denoiser (like Neatvideo) is much more effective than treating any compressed stuff, even if it's ProRes or DNxHD.

• Some superb footage by Philip Bloom

what do you think is superb at this footage? What is special which could not have been done with another camera? Artefake are horrible, see the guys neck at 5:00 . Just my 2 cts

• @nomad Can you denoise uncompressed footage from the BMCC? Is there a workflow you can use in a NLE?

• @peaceonearth DR is special. Artefacts aren't from the cam but from Vimeo.