Personal View site logo
Panasonic LX7 topic
  • 320 Replies sorted by
  • Is that true without a new firmware a hack for this amazing camera won't be? Let us continue dreamming.

• @ragnar

You are better off with a Pixel Shutter release. The invalometer in the GH3 will never work like the Pixel remote will.

• What is a Pixel Shutter release? Haven't heard of that. Are we talking about the LX7 here? I ask because you mentioned the GH3. I have wireless remote shutters for my GH2 that do time lapse but the LX7 doesn't have a remote shutter feature, but I know you know that. In the meantime, I'll go lookup what a Pixel Shutter is on the Google. ;-)

• I have a question. I shot using the LX7's HS feature which is the 120fps in 720p mode. I shot a mourning dove taking off. I put that clip on two different timeline sequences in Premiere Pro CS6: one 60p timeline and one 30p timeline. They look they same, as in, they both give nice slow-motion playback with no difference that I can see. So maybe I'm answering it myself. There really is no difference in putting the 120fps clip on either a 60p or 30p timeline in regards to how smooth the slow-motion is going to look?

Harold

• Regarding the 100/120fps clips on different timelines. I've put the clip in a 24p timeline, with 50p conformed clips (the example in question is the "LX7 various clips" video on Page 8 of this thread) and it didn't affect the smoothness of the slow motion for me. This was in Sony Vegas though, YMMV.

• @tinbeo It is true; If Vitaliy gets a hold of this firmware, the 120 would be quite the coup d'état..

• Vitaliy mentioned sometime back that he would have an update on this in March, right? I would pay for the hack. The camera is limited for what I do without it freeing up the clip length. Higher bitrate to match the GH hacks would be nice as well.

• @DailyFilmFix

Vitaliy did mention he'd have a crack at this camera, so long as Panasonic released a firmware update. I'm guessing this just means it's a lot easier to crack the firmware if you don't have to "pull it off" the camera first (if that is even possible). I too am impatiently waiting for a hack for this camera, but it all comes down to whether or not Panasonic ever even release a firmware update.

Higher bitrates for lower light scenes are what I believe would be better. The grain is as big as your fist if you shoot in the dark with this camera, so if there is a way to up the bitrate limit to pick up the detail in dark areas, that'd be great. Seeing if it's possible to unlock a 24p mode would be amazing as well. A Region hack would also be very welcomed, and of course... removing clip time limits as well.

But as far as this camera goes at the moment, a hack isn't needed. It's desired, but this camera is still usable without the hack.

• Vitaliy did mention he'd have a crack at this camera, so long as Panasonic released a firmware update. I'm guessing this just means it's a lot easier to crack the firmware if you don't have to "pull it off" the camera first (if that is even possible).

It is wrong. Firmware is required for PTool. You can't make firmware from dumped image. But without dumping firmware is also useless.

• Noted, Vitaliy. I wasn't pretending to know anything about what you do (because honestly... I haven't the foggiest).

On another note, if it pleases the court (admins), I'd like to link to a blog post I wrote regarding this camera and its use as a beginner film makers "tool".

http://danielrutterfilms.blogspot.com.au/2013/03/lumix-lx7-tool-for-beginner-film-makers.html

• "Beginner film makers" - Daniel you have hurt my feelings :)

Have you really had problems with stabilization on a tripod? I do all my (real) shooting on a tripod, with OIS on, both with LX7 and FZ200, and I have yet to see any artifacts in my video..

• I personally haven't, but if you have your camera on a tripod... the OIS I feel isn't needed.

I wrote the article for those who are new to the game and are looking for a good out-of-the-box camera to start out with. :)

• I personally haven't, but if you have your camera on a tripod... the OIS I feel isn't needed.

This suggestion for beginners is very old. I heard various explanations ala camera micro moves are of other dominant frequences (due to tripod dumping), and stabilizer can sometimes be not so good. Especially it can happen with SLR cameras.

Of course, if you use big good video tripod and pan/tilt camera, either switch OIS off or switch to one axis mode.

If you have shitty small tripod, it is usually best idea to leave OIS on.

• Your continuing efforts to hack the Panasonics is greatly appreciated. It's why I've kept shooting with the GH1 (I own 2).

I hold out hope that you're able to get the firmware to hack the LX7, because I think it could be a great little third cam for me on doc shoots. From your last postings here, though, I get the impression that you don't think a hack for the LX7 is going to happen. Is that accurate?

• From your last postings here, though, I get the impression that you don't think a hack for the LX7 is going to happen. Is that accurate?

Where you got it? I did not said that. I said that panasonic did not published any firmware.

• LX5 was released on 8/2010, updated firmare on 09/2011. LX7 was released on 7/2012, months to go -:)

• Understood, good to know that a hack is possible.

• LX7 was released on 7/2012, months to go -:)

Best idea is not to hope for Panasonic, but to start collecting "serious" bugs list.

• Yeah, I get it, a firmware update may be all you need. Again, good to know.

• LX7 is a darn good looking little fella.

image.jpg
    1280 x 1280 - 459K
  • @stonebat Are you using that Sigma View Finder VF 11 for this lumix camera. Does it work?

• I use VF-11 on Sigma DP1x mostly. It works nice on LX7 at 35mm. But Panasonic LVF2 would work better.

• This isn't in any way scientific, but I decided to do a little test with my cameras and shoot a scene ("scene") in vibrant/vivid colour mode using the GH2, GH1 and LX7.

No colour grading, roughly the same settings (shutter speed, aperture and ISO are all the same). LX7 seems to lack the resolution when compared to the GH2, but is comparable to that of the GH1.

NB: iDynamic was high on the GH2 and LX7, I'm not sure of the GH1 though. I don't think the setting affects overall picture quality though.

LX7.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 719K
    GH1.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 585K
    GH2.jpg
    1920 x 1080 - 544K
  • The LX7 shoots at 108060p; the GH2 and GH1 do not. The 108060p video is much better on the LX7 than other settings. So, what video format settings did you use that would make the three videos comparable?

• LX7 in 1920x1080-50p (conformed to 24p), GH1 and GH2 in 1920x1080-24p.

And I don't understand the question. I explained in my previous post how I "matched" these cameras.