Personal View site logo
Best setting for PAL 1080P25 shooting
  • 32 Replies sorted by
  • @mastroiani

It is hard to give such simplified explanations because many times it depends on your shooting scenario and preferences. Some settings are more "specialized" like those ones that use the GH3 matrix and footage has some character of the GH3' footage, some settings you want to use if you have lot of details in your shots, some are better for dark keeping blacks cleaner, some emphasize details and some sharpness. Also, there is a big stability and spanning issue, and it depends on your cards, and your needs again. Intra or long gop, 24 or 25p, better details for 720p or smoother slow motion, grading, and so on, and so on.

So, this is why everyone asks for direct plain explanation of what each setting does, and this is why there is no such thing, simply to many variables.

But, all of the settings are initially explained by their authors, extensively tested and many individual experiences are shared on their dedicated topics, so it's not like picking one in the dark, just watch videos that users share, and if you like some settings, give it a try, and report back if you have a problem.

Also you will most certainly get a detailed answer for a specific question for specific settings, on a dedicated topic.

• @mastroiani

basically these settings produce very similar results. The difference is mainly in dark tones... especially in dark out of focus areas in conjunction with motion (camera movement or motion in the scene...). To make a long story short: settings with a short GOP produce a finer noise ("grain") in dark tones whereas settings with a longer GOP tend to smear noise. At least this goes HBR/FSH ...

Spizz is 3GOP, Nebula is 6GOP and DREWnet is 12GOP. So for low key scenes with narrow DOF Spizz would be preferable. Then again Nebula is pretty close and it produces slighty better IQ in bright scenes. Nebula also utilzes less bitrate. This is why I think Nebula is great for documentary work (it's a great all around setting) ...

• Thanks. I read and understood the technical differences. I'm interested in the real world perception of these patches. Just a normal language, if such is possible. All of these patches are either great or superb, so in essence if you were to tell me that there is really no perceptible difference to the viewers I'd just pick one according to it's data rate and go with it. If there is no visual/perceptible difference to the viewer then there would be no development of these patches. But that's not the case. There is a difference and that's why they are developed.

For someone, who is not initiated in the technical lingo all of this jargon can be quite hermetic. All I wanted to know if your perception vis-avis the differences between these patches. That's all.

Thanks again for your hard work. Without you we wouldn't be where we are.

• 'Slipstream 3' uses mainly the GH3 matrix - although there is a very slight deviation which is to be corrected in the forthcoming 'Slipstream 3b' . The other Slipstreams do not; these use a mix of GOPs drawn from all the Cluster X series settings. Read the info.

Also please use the correct thread;-

http://personal-view.com/talks/discussion/6429/cluster-x-series-2

• @towi @driftwood Thanks a lot. What do you think of Xluster X Slipstream?

I don't really get the final difference between these patches. Is there anything really specific about them that I should know?

Thanks

• Yep, bitrate is scaled the closer the GOP.

• @mastroiani

Personally, I would recommend to use one of these settings:

Cluster-X Spizz Trial 4 (bkmcwd)

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/106865#Comment_106865

direct download: http://www.personal-view.com/talks/uploads/FileUpload/5f/0b44b9591dee8a987d849615f7cebc.zip

cards tested:

24H & HBR modes:

• SanDisk 95MB/s SDXC 64GB - stable

• SanDisk 95MB/s SDHC 32GB - stable

• SanDisk 30MB/s SDHC 16GB - stable

• SanDisk 30MB/s SDHC 8GB - not stable

720p50:

• SanDisk 30MB/s SDHC 16GB - not stable

Spanning: 24H & HBR modes successfully tested on SanDisk 95MB/s SDXC 64GB & SanDisk 95MB/s SDHC 32GB. SanDisk 30MB/s SDHC 16GB failed. 720p50 not yet tested.

Spizz utilzes around 50-65M on average in HBR/25p and FSH/50i mode. Around 130M in 24H mode.

Cluster-X Nebula Trial 6b

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/116992#Comment_116992

cards tested:

24H & HBR & 720p50:

• SanDisk 30MB/s SDHC 8GB - not stable

Spanning: 24H & HBR modes successfully tested on SanDisk 95MB/s SDXC 64GB & SanDisk 95MB/s SDHC 32GB. SanDisk 30MB/s SDHC 16GB not yet tested. 720p50 not yet tested.

Nebula utilzes around 40-45M on average in HBR/25p and FSH/50i mode. Around 80-90M in 24H mode.

Cluster-X DREWnet Trial 8

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/116993#Comment_116993

Personally, I've slightly modified the setting to stabilize it in HBR/25p mode:

PTools -> Testers -> GOP related -> 1080i50 GOP Table=1, 4, 4, 1, 22, 22

cards tested:

24H & HBR & 720p50:

• SanDisk 30MB/s SDHC 16GB - not stable

Spanning: 24H & HBR modes successfully tested on SanDisk 95MB/s SDXC 64GB & SanDisk 95MB/s SDHC 32GB. SanDisk 30MB/s SDHC 16GB not yet tested. 720p50 not yet tested.

DREWnet utilzes around 35-40M on average in HBR/25p and FSH/50i mode. Around 80M in 24H mode.

You can also take a look at GOLGOP3-13 A2 Beta6

http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/comment/116896#Comment_116896

cards tested:

HBR mode:

24H and 720p50 not yet tested.

Since the latest revision of GOLGOP3-13 is pretty new I haven't tested it thoroughly yet ...

For documentary work I think Nebula Trial 6b will do fine.