Personal View site logo
Vimeo On Demand
  • 82 Replies sorted by
  • "I'll admit, I'm excited to see stuff like this happening. I'd be a lot more excited if I had, or knew anyone that had, a VIMEO capable smart-TV or BD player."

I have a Samsung D5500 LCD Smart TV that is almost 2 years old, and it has a Vimeo player since the launch. In fact, it is miles better than the YouTube player - all videos plays with stunning image quality flawlessly (but in 720p, I guess). I think that all the Samsung's Smart TVs have Vimeo players.

• My Vimeo Stats report:

I have 54 uploaded videos on Vimeo: lenses tests, tutorials, 3D, anamorphic project and so on... Some of them became popular: Neatvideo tutorial, Super8 telecine tutorial, Apefoscope project.

October 13 2012 I went Vimeo Plus to get more HD uploads for the anamorphic project.

It was 5 months since then, and I got (in all my videos) 25400 plays, 357000 loads, 278000 loads from embeds, 154 likes, 139 comments.

I believe I have some videos with useful information and teaching, also the anamorphic project, but In this period (5 months) I enabled TIP JAR in all my videos and I got no Tip Jar, just nothing!

• @Rambo, thank you for explaining your special interest content model and experience. Your live stream system sounds great. With the Vimeo model unfolding, perhaps you can work out a business model between you and your sponsors where you can perhaps have exclusive content released as PPV, or live event coverage may be PPV. It depends on the demographic/number of interested followers willing to pay. Vimeo option may allow you to make the cost of PPV very reasonable, and with 90/10 split direct payment and no distributor controlling you, not a bad option to explore in your case. All the best with that.

• I'm not sure my situation will apply to most other P-V users who i assume are mostly Indie Film Makers as my Business is Ocean Sports Events and Ocean Sports Promotion, but this is how it works for me. The video i produce promotes a Sports Event and a locality (usually a beach resort, Island or Sports Tourist location somewhere in the world), it also promotes the Events Sponsors who ultimately fund the video. The Vimeo Stats are very valuable to me as they provide proof of exposure thus justifying the funding.

The value of my Business is not that I'm the one that shoots the event ( although i do have a reputation for capturing some of the best visuals of this type and I'm well known from my competitive days) but the value is that i have built up a very large targeted distribution network that embeds my videos on their webpages which are available 24/7, unlike content on local TV, broadcast or cable which are generally localized and programed at particular times. Here is an example below:>

I release a new video on Vimeo, the Network of Associates are informed, the video appears usually accompanied by a written Event report, followers (viewers) of those websites are usually subscribed and play the video, they also may share it themselves on FB etc, so word gets around. There is huge interest in the video within the first week, by week 2 it starts to fade, but the content is still available 24/7 thereafter.

So in this case, the end user, say a viewer in USA, gets to watch the Event video (say in Tahiti) free. Think very similar to Surfing Contests but on a much, much small smaller scale. Would they pay to view it? According to the survey i conducted, No, but this could change once internet Video On Demand becomes common for Sports Events (if that ever happens)

Would VOD help me produce a better product? Hell yeah if there was more money available, i could afford extra cameraman, commentators and possibly LIVE coverage. I have a MultCam LIVE intercepted ( preview, mix, commentary with 30sec delay) system ready to go Hardware/Software wise, but little funding to pay people to man it.

With Vimeo releasing this VOD service, it gives me hope that there might be an addition source of funding this time by end user pays, however, if it goes the same way the Fight Game has (Pro Boxing Pay per View Events are pirated and rebroadcast on JustinTv, Ustream etc and suckers are charged to watch a Pirated Event. This sort of thing doesn't help but will probably be stamped out in future by better technology. (BTW, before someone jumps on me, yes i have been known to use unauthorized mainstream music in my videos, but lately have been paying)

I'm watching this VOD thing very closely, not ready to jump in just yet.

R

• @matt_gh2, yes, the Vimeo option may be a good start, if it is simple enough. Perhaps the masses may not know of Vimeo, whereas YouTube is a known entity world wide. And then there is the next stage, of people familiar with watching free content, to people paying for content, when they have been familiar with watching for free here on Vimeo or YouTube. Granted, this will likely be a feature length or series length type program, compared to often very short duration content viewed for free. That said, the Vimeo option may be enough, and simple enough, for some people to possibly get content out there, in a form that they may generate some minor cash flow. Given that some creators can make interesting content without having to expend movie like budgets, Vimeo on demand seems like an interesting option to have content potentially distributed and perhaps some financial reward may follow. I agree with early comments that people should not expect this to be a cash cow for a content creator/provider, it may just be a simple way to make a product commercial. The rest of the process is an up hill battle. Some people may be able to promote and direct groups to their Vimeo on demand content. It would not be easy, yet Vimeo on demand may be simplifying part of the distribution process that previously either had people locked into a distribution deal with no control, no control and no cash flow return whatsoever, or those that just could not get their product distributed, for various reasons. This is interesting, we shall wait and see how this evolves. Thanks for your reply.

• @WhiteRabbit Yeah, I looked at those other services too and kinda got the feeling they were a bit..."klutzy"-meaning the player/customer interface and experience seemed problematic or the fact that they didnt have a known name might make some customers less likely to buy from them. So that's why the Vimeo offering is nice: Vimeo is trusted name for consumer, revenue split 90%, virtually no upfront cost other than $200 pro membership, and they're cracking the nut of getting creators content onto customers TVs in addition to computers and other devices. (I would guess iTunes is also a great choice for indie filmmaker looking for distribution, but unable to secure a standard theatrical and/or broadcast/cable and/or DVD distribution deal).

I'm new to all this too, but that's the impression I get. Maybe some of the more experienced folks on this site might have opinions based on their distribution/sales experience?

EDIT: Actually I only briefly looked at Distribber but my comments were really on companies like Distrify and Dynamo. I guess Distribber tries to take your content to different distribution partners (iTunes, Cable companies, Amazon) so I guess their real value to indie filmmakers is the $1500 to get on iTunes and the "hope" that they'll somehow get that indie filmmaker's movie on cable TV. I guess time will tell how well they do that last part.

• @matt_gh2, when I was looking into this topic of discussion a few months ago, I read about Distribber, somewhat of a conduit service between content creators/providers and new digital distribution companies that have evolved. They refer to the similar sum of $1500 for HD content on iTunes, however, nothing mentioned about time frames to go live. I don't know if a 'Distribber' type group is a good option to pursue for indie film makers, nor do I know who is behind the company. I am just researching, I am not part of the game. http://www.distribber.com/faqs

• @matt_gh2, the tick a box option would be great. I am concerned that such a simple option will potentially land Vimeo into endless lawsuits, if content creators are challenged with issues such as copyright infringement, and Vimeo being the stream provider may likely become a third party defendant. You are correct, in a few weeks there will be more information released by either Vimeo or by participants seeking to have their material uploaded as part of the 'Vimeo on demand' offering, likely detailing information and their experience on blogs, etc. Matt, thank you for your reply.

• @WhiteRabbit If you're talking about rights, clearances, etc., I think Vimeo (and others like Distrify) are pretty loose. They probably have you sign (or just digitally check a box) something in the terms and conditions that basically says you confirm that you have all rights, clearances, etc. I quickly scanned the FAQs and remember a single line saying that you should make sure you have all the rights to music, etc. Within a week or two, they'll be a bunch of people jumping on this to distribute their content, so you'll be able to find a few people online who will discuss what's needed. But basically, it's probably just a thing where anything goes and if Vimeo gets a complaint from a rights holder stating somehow has used their material without permission, then they would deal with it. This internet is fast and loose.

Anyone familiar with the iTunes process? I understand you generally need to pony up $1500 to pay an aggregator to get your material to iTunes, but was told it then is a 3 month wait. My question is: what happens in that period...i.e. what are the quality control checks, clearance/rights verifications etc?

@BurnetRhoades I'm running an Apple TV 2nd gen and it's pretty good. As you can imagine, Friday and Saturday night, everybody is on the thing...so you often can't get movies...but if you want to watch a movie on a Tuesday night at 11PM, you're gold. It's pretty cool. Your examples are pretty good, in that a lot of people don't quite yet have the devices that would get them Vimeo to their TV, but @Rambo seems to see significant "couch" traffic, so I guess it would really be cool if someone on p-v.com had an idea on the Vimeo to TV stats...i.e. how many households can get Vimeo to their TVs.

• @Rambo Hey man, I am sure we are all interested, how about opening a post that goes something like; "Let's analyse our Vimeo stats experiences?" Since we all have some, I am sure this will be of great use for the community.

BTW thanks guys, I am also pretty glad that Vimeo has gone the VOD way. I am sure this will be helping us a lot in thinking about how to deliver great content, which I think all of this film-democracy revolution is about.

I have Vimeo on my Apple TV, and use couch mode.

• As we had discussed in a recent similar thread, I would be interested to learn what Vimeo actually require with regard to documentation in order to have paid content accepted as 'Vimeo on demand'. Anyone know more about this? Thank you.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev Hmmmm, I hadn't considered that but you're right. I've just been interested in reducing the number of components, cables and boxes...I've always been annoyed by cables, lately they're extra maddening. But this sort of solution has lots of benefits beyond VIMEO. I'll definitely have to keep that in mind because you've linked some pretty dynamite deals over in the Android handheld thread.

• @BurnetRhoades

You can get cheap small stick Android computer, stick it into HDMi and it could play Vimeo on any TV.

• @matt_gh2 I've got a first-gen AppleTV so it's got no VIMEO. I'd been running a hacked OS on it but the little proc on the OG version just doesn't have enough lead in its pencil to play modern streams very well. No VIMEO love on my Sony BD player either.

My brother's giant ass Aquos doesn't have VIMEO, or his Sony BD player, or my folks' Sony BD players (I'm sensing a Sony pattern here, lol).

I'm still using a CRT HDTV in the bedroom and will be keeping that until it dies, because CRT. Had been trying to decide between a flat panel or projector for the living room but figure I'll go with a flat panel. VIMEO app will be a deciding feature.

• DouglasHorn 10:52AM @Rambo - I'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences there. Can you tell me more via PM?

Sure, i have no secrets.

• @BurnetRhoades, @matt_gh2

I'll admit, I'm excited to see stuff like this happening. I'd be a lot more excited if I had, or knew anyone that had, a VIMEO capable smart-TV or BD player.

Not just possible, its a fact, its actually being done as i stated above.They are very popular in USA which is where most of my "Couch Mode" (as Vimeo call it) views come from the past few years.

• @BurnetRhoades Yeah, very cool stuff. If you produce the goods...the barriers to distribute seem to become lesser every year. I get Vimeo on my HDTV via Apple TV, and I believe it's possible with Roku players and some other devices. I wonder what the number of households are that have some form of Vimeo access on their TVs, because that's what's new and beneficial here to those who want to distribute their films independently...ability to get on TV screens in households.

• I'll admit, I'm excited to see stuff like this happening. I'd be a lot more excited if I had, or knew anyone that had, a VIMEO capable smart-TV or BD player.

• @Rambo - I'd be interested in hearing more about your experiences there. Can you tell me more via PM?

• This alone won't create an "indie revolution" (whatever that means) but low cost, high quality, highly accessible, highly trusted PPV services could be an important piece of the puzzle for making independent producers viable on the net. It's important for that segment that is creating high quality content but bypassing traditional distribution due to the difficulty in making or collecting from these companies.

• Get good advice - make flash USB drive with all your clips in FullHD and portable video player. It is easy and cheap to ship, fast to make and you'll get money.

Yep, do this also, but more people still want DVDs even if they are SD not BR. I did also try selling a HD downloadable file via password, but was to much to administer.

• @Rambo

Get good advice - make flash USB drive with all your clips in FullHD and portable video player. It is easy and cheap to ship, fast to make and you'll get money.

• I have monitored my Vimeo direct stats, shared embeds and geographic locations over the past 3 years and there has been quite a large increase in traffic coming from Internet enabled TVs and boxes like Hulu/Roku/Boxie etc. via the couch mode direct from Vimeo access, about 50% now.

I'm not sure my viewers are ready to pay to watch, sure there are a few ( I did a survey awhile back) but most said they expect net content to be free and most likely would not pay. Not a problem for me as I'm payed at the front end by my client/sponsors to shoot, produce and host the show but a few bucks at the back end would certainly help fund the gig.

One very valuable stat is the watch to completion flag, where a stat is recorded if the video is watched right to the end. Once videos exceed 10 mins this stat drops very quickly.

I would be more than happy to receive a $1 per view, of the 200+ videos I have online, stats for the past 12 mths were 3.4mil hits and 545k plays, approx 300k were played till the video finished.

Some nice $ there if it could happen, even .10c per view would be nice. What I do find strange is that lots a people ask me for DVDs and are willing to pay $25 for them plus shipping ... Weird huh.

R

• It's sad but true. New era of consolidation is upon all of us.

One friend was complaining why his dentist doesn't take anything other than Delta insurance. Well the dentist can't do anything about it because he's a salaryman from big corporation. Yeah he got his own office space and his unique business practice name, but it's a part of big corporation with hundreds or thousands of doctors.

Film making would be no different, I presume.

• I was just thinking about low budget people can get some attention and audience and have some fun. Maybe make some money also just to keep doing.

Among million maybe someone will be talented enough to grow up lots of audience and be invited by the Bigs. Its like when in Matrix they find Neo. Who will be?