Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Vimeo On Demand
  • 82 Replies sorted by
  • @Vitaliy_Kiselev I will not carry your last comment to the Vimeo blog. I think it is not respectful. Also what they are doing is more than great for many people including me.

My last post in their blog (about vimeo members only): It is OK for me. Vimeo community is very big and It is easy to anyone to become a Vimeo member, also it will be good to see the community grow up even more. Encouraging liking, sharing and comments is good also.

• I will not carry your last comment to the Vimeo blog. I think it is not respectful. Also what they are doing is more than great for many people including me.

My comment is not about respect, it is about business side of things. In fact, you now require every potential customer (and most of them will be in very low price range) to register on Vimeo. All it means is that you'll have high drop off rate at this stage.

• Remember this: register on Vimeo is FREE for the basic account! So anyone can enter the community for FREE. After register and login, to buy or not to buy videos is an option.

• Remember this: register on Vimeo is FREE for the basic account! So anyone can enter the community for FREE. After register and login, to buy or not to buy videos is an option.

You do not understand my point. I know that it is free, but regsitration is hurdle and for cheap videos it is very serious hurdle.

• Sorry to say that, but criticize is easy to do. I encourage people who criticize to do better.

Why don't you open your own on demand video website? This way you could to it the way you like! Turn P-V forum into an "On Demand Personal Videos" and do your own rules.

• Sorry to say that, but criticize is easy to do. I encourage people who criticize to do better.

You words make no sense here. As things I stated is not pointless critique, it is absolutely basic things.

Why don't you open your own on demand video website? This way you could to it the way you like! Turn P-V forum into an "On Demand Personal Videos" and do your own rules.

LOL

• Being thankful:

Here in Brasil we have a popular expression which says: "Te dou a mão e voce já quer o braço." which means. "I give you my hand and you already want my arm". It is wrong thing to do. Lets be thankful to what we get before want more. This is great times we are living in video/cinema production.

I am thankful to the cheap DSLRs, to the cheap editing computers, to Vimeo, to P-V discussions, to the Apefoscope project and donations I got, and to many many other people and things. (I did not forget to be thankful to the GH2 hack!)

Wanting more is good, but sometimes it seems to be thankless, and to much selfish and ambitious. Lets be humble and do something...

• Agree with VK here, signing up for Vimeo, searching for a video you want to buy, adding it to a watch later list then being redirected to a VOD page where you again have to enter details and a PayPal payment is too many hoops to jump thru.

I would prefer to watch a short preview streaming trailer to decide my choice and then a link to a downloadable HQ HD file to keep. I would be prepared to pay $2-5 for that. This is the system I trialled last year. Sure, there were some people who found a way to beat the system and download for free. But in the small trial I did, there were 68 downloads and 55 payments. Most people are honest, only 13 people obtained the emailed password protected download link without paying, probably all from the same person who passed it on. Once you know the loss numbers, build it onto the cost. I still think hosting the file yourself is the best way.

• @Rambo but where would one host a high quality video file, the rates for those things can be enormous...at least from the providers I know of.

• All I have to say for now is: I will give it a try, I am not afraid to fail, I am not expecting too much, it will take some time to get things done...

• There is something that came up in my mind: in the anamorphic project I got many encouraging and donations, it was and is a project which many people have interest in, a product to help people, to use the adapter on it's own productions. But the VOD will awaken competition among forum members, so what to expect? Encouraging from the forum fellows in the VOD attempt or each one running to grow up his own audience and hoping others to fail? My experience in the job video market is a bloody competition, will VOD turn forum members into Tyrannosaurus Rex trying to kill each other?

• It sounds like a good idea, but I don't understand why you need a Vimeo account to pay via Paypal. Its just some clicks away.. no need for account creation.

• Watershed moment...... Not!!!

I don't thank Vimeo. I don't thank Apple. Certainly I don't thank Microsoft. Tyrannosaurus Rex? Fuk him.

• I've written a pretty thorough overview of Vimeo on Demand, iTunes, IndieFlix, Distrify, Distribber, and other emerging VOD options for Independents.

http://douglashorn.com/wordpress/distribution/vod-options-for-independant-film-and-video/

• @DouglasHorn, thank you for sharing your blog/summary.

• @WhiteRabbit - My pleasure. I was researching for myself and realized it could be useful to other filmmakers as well.

• @DouglasHorn I read the article on your site - very nice summation with thoughtful exploration of pros/cons. Just started watching Divergence...I'm 2 episodes in. Very cool. Well done. Tried watching on 62" HDTV via youTube over Apple TV and did search but only got the Season One Preview and the trailer. Those both looked great on the 62" screen - the image completely held up. Music and sound were great on nice speakers as well. Wasn't able to find the different episodes on Youtube via Apple TV, but will watch on computer.

• @DouglasHorn many thanks, I did a first fast look and will do a more careful look soon.

• Vimeo Announces Upgrades To Direct Distribution Platform, Vimeo On Demand

Vimeo today announced several new upgrades to its growing direct distribution platform, Vimeo On Demand, available to any Vimeo PRO member. The new features bring more versatility to the platform and improve the toolset that empowers creators to sell original film and video work on their own terms.

The upgrades to Vimeo On Demand include:

• Rent and Own Pricing Options: Creators can offer viewers the ability to rent (stream) or buy (download) content at separate prices.
    • Preorder Availability: All Vimeo On Demand sellers can build buzz and drive advanced sales by making content available for preorder.
    • Promo Code Generator: Filmmakers can create promo codes that enable viewers to access work at no cost; codes can be sent to press or other partners and used immediately in the improved Vimeo On Demand checkout.
    • Advanced Statistics: Sellers now get more information about their works, including trailer plays, paid video plays, and additional revenue details. In addition, Vimeo On Demand stats are now rolled into a PRO member's Advanced Stats, which makes them more accessible and easier to understand.

"Vimeo On Demand is constantly evolving to give creators the power to sell their work on their own terms, while enabling viewers to discover and consume high-quality content in the best way possible," said Vimeo's President, Dae Mellencamp. "The new features added today put more control in creators' hands and give audiences more options to view amazing work."

Vimeo On Demand gives filmmakers the ability to sell their work directly to viewers with unprecedented control and flexibility, allowing them to set prices, viewing format (stream or download), and geographical availability, all while retaining full ownership of their work. Moreover, filmmakers can tap into Vimeo's growing audience of over 100 million monthly unique visitors across a full spectrum of connected devices, including desktop, phone, tablet, connected TV, and game consoles, all in full HD. Since making its debut in March, Vimeo On Demand has built a global catalog of over 2,000 titles.

For more information regarding Vimeo On Demand, visit http://vimeo.com/ondemand

• @Riker but where would one host a high quality video file, the rates for those things can be enormous...at least from the providers I know of.

Amazon S3 - use it on my site for multi-gigabyte downloads. Very affordable and also reliable. You could even use a wordpress blog and have the link encrypted and sent to customer after payment. In my experience it's a few cents a Gig of bandwidth. Hosting isn't the hurdle anymore - it's exposure. Actually vimeo and others use S3

• Happy first birth anniversary! Live it up! And thirdsomely, we're introducing a bunch of wild new stuff related to the birthday kiddo:

Audience Development Program + 10 million smackers

Last week, we told people that we're pouring serious moolah into our new Audience Development Program. Here's how it works: We've got a shoebox at the office with $10 million in it. We'll use that money to support Vimeo On Demand titles (and creators) that have raised over $10,000 on select crowdfunding platforms or been accepted to certain film festivals. For those over-achieving titles, we'll make websites, do translating and subtitling, and generally ensure more people see them!

New Vimeo On Demand for viewers

When you felt like watching something back in the day, you'd go to a special store and look at things arranged nicely on well-designed shelves. We took a cue from that real-life experience and built an all-new, all-nice way for viewers to browse and discover and check out and bond with Vimeo On Demand titles.

http://vimeo.com/ondemand/audience

• I am in the process of loading a bunch of my instructional videos into Vimeo's on Demand service. I agree completely with VK's reservations about needing be a member (for a $3.99 download, you want zero hurdles/admin overheads, if you can). And (checking the stats) VOD takes 16% of the advertise cost; Paypal having already taken a flat 5% (the 'hidden' micro payments option that no one at PP will tell you about). And VOD keeps your money for a minimum of 30 days, too.

Nonetheless, they do handle all download costs and the interface is not too horrible to use. OK for now; when something better comes along, I will move.

• @Kit_L - I'm very interested in learning more about your experience with PayPal micro payments for Digital Goods. I'm looking into switching to these as well.

I posted two big updates to my VOD article in the past couple weeks: http://douglashorn.com/wordpress/distribution/vod-platforms-for-independent-film-and-video-in-2014/ http://douglashorn.com/wordpress/distribution/launching-films-on-vod/

These go through all the main direct VOD platforms and show which I chose.

• I'm very interested in learning more about your experience with PayPal micro payments for Digital Goods. I'm looking into switching to these as well.

As far as I understand micropayments work only on business accounts and only on special dedicated ones.

• I've set up a business account for receiving payments. According to what literature is available there is Micropayments for Digital Goods with lets you use either the standard rate of 2.9% + .30 or the micropayment rate of 5% + .05 (all in the US) whichever is lower. However, the documentation on how to apply is nonexistent and the PayPal site puts one into a clicking loop. I hoped maybe @Kit_L had figured it out.