Personal View site logo
AVCHD maximum image quality settings and testing
  • 1002 Replies sorted by
  • Sure, please do post, that's what this thread is for.

I see people trying 120M settings, but is the image that much better? One way faster rates have been achieved is by setting AQ to 0. That's the lowest possible image quality setting. What use is it to go faster if you actually have to reduce image quality to do it?

I was hoping that this would become the "image quality" thread with extreme bitrates and low GOP playing a secondary role, and only if they actually improve quality.

44M sounds low because it's now possible to go so much faster. 44M is still a very high bitrate for AVCHD. Between 44M with quality settings maxed out, and 120M with quality settings low - I suspect the 44M image would look better. Now 66M with quality settings maxed out - that could be another story...

Chris
  • Great thread. However, you did forget to mention one thread that was already made. The zero adverse affects thread. The point being that some people want the camera to act exactly like it did out of the box with the exception of the highest quality possible.

The zero adverse affects includes class 6 compatibility and not just class 10 compatibility. It also includes full playback in camera.

I did a lot of testing this morning and I have found some settings I am very satisfied with. These settings work perfectly with my class 6 card and produce 22-42 mb/sec for all scenes regardless of the ISO. I can't post the files and screenshots from here but I will try to get them up tonight. Is it alright if I post them in this thread?

All of the tests were done on a tripod, with an MF lens that never changed, and fixed full manual settings including White balance and ISO.
This topic is closed.
← All Discussions