Personal View site logo
Cluster X: Series 1 - moon - ЅріzZ - nebula - drewnet - Slipstream
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • Back from a long day in the field, flashed backed to Moon Trial 3 this morning. Looking at rushes I'm definitely liking trial 3 better than 4 for complex wide scenes with deep DOF. Am I crazy? Not sure, nobody has weighed in yet. I will have to do a test on the same scene I suppose, for now, same lens combo (20mm + La7200), same settings, same area of the world, Moon 3...

Screen Shot 2013-02-14 at 5.05.09 PM.png
    2880 x 1231 - 5M
  • Shot with moon 3

37-140 lomo foton zoom with a schneider anamorphic projection lens

• @Driftwood AS usual I'm testing on the worst possible shots. I gotta tell you Nick, I really love moon, Yhis one was moon 4. Samyang 24mm 1.4 standard -2

sun.png
    1920 x 1080 - 583K
  • @Mirrorkisser I had not seen that post, however I would have to see some hard numbers to believe it is not just rebranded stock due to poor sales. Or better case reformatted stock. It seems an odd speed to reproduce. But let's not derail this discussion, if you have a link to specs great, otherwise let's agree to disagree with no hard feelings.

• just some quick clips of moon trial 4

• I film skateboarding , what do you guys recommend?

• @jclmedia a phantom flex, gopro, or gh3 (60p) ??

• @GravitateMediaGroup and your thoughts on trial 4 now compared to 3?

• @jclmedia 720p60 with either moon or senda; alternately, if you don't have fast enough cards, perhaps flowmotion. 720p60 footage is in my experience as high quality as 1080p60 footage from many other dslrs, particularly with the hacks, and especially for online delivery.

• I just have to say, color grading with Moon is really great. I was hired to shoot two videos this week. They gave me a Canon C100. I have used the C300 quite a bit and I absolutely love it...now if it cost under $7,000 and had 60fps @ 1080P I would buy it. That being siad, the C100 is horrible to grade. You have to really nail the color and exposure in camera or you will pay the price in post due to the very weak codec. The Moon trials I have been testing can be pushed very far and still retain the quality. I love working with on my system. Incredible Driftwood!

• @GravitateMediaGroup at 0.29(and some frames later) is this noise on the tin roof due to youtube compression? the rest is looking really good and free of funny artifacts.

@driftwood Nick, I am running the trial 4 drewnet cluster x and it looks pretty good for the low bitrates(actually some times almost as low as stock: mid20's - mid 30's) it has. But high ISO's bring some noise issues(much more so then other clusters). Is trial 5 any improvement in this regard? Thanks.

@Mirrorkisser good to know! 32gb here. Mine don't say Pro ; ) but i did have some issues with Cluster v8...pull of battery kind of stuff, on EXT tele mostly and tracking a fast moving object, so somehow to be expected i guess.

• I'm not sure about 3 vs 4, for some reason I'm leaning towards 3.

The noise is probably from YouTube mostly. I usually shoot at 1/40 so being that open may have something to do with it. I'll check the raw clip when I get home. A little noise never bothers me. It's rare to shoot with a gh2 and get flawless noise free footage.

• @luxis DREWnet is being improved at the moment.

• @driftwood After Moon trial 4, Official " Full Moon" will be realeased? -:)

• @gravitatemediagroup @driftwood: i also have a slight tendency towards trial 3. Blown up stills of trial 4 look slightly sharper, but i am not sure, if its for the better or not...

• gh2 and im using flowmotion 2.02 right now.

Thanks

• @jclmedia if you go to page 1 of this topic, you will see why moon is better than flowmotion

• @jclmedia

'Moon' and Flow Motion - there's really no comparison! Moon is so much better, it's sharper, looks better and it grades significantly better. It simply feels like you've bought a brand new camera!

• One of the big pushes with Flowmotion was to minimize the appearance of color banding. How is Moon in this respect?

Also, for those who have tried both, how does Moon compare to the Driftwood's popular Intravenus setting?

• wow this sounds really good then!! stoked to try it out, ill do test with my old flowmotion 2 vs Moon same settings, ill post it soon!

• It simply feels like you've bought a brand new camera!

This is the truth. I loaded it up and was struck immediately at the difference and how "filmic" what little noise was there felt.

• Well Im trying to drag my patch to my card, but for some reason i cant even write to my sd card,

wonderful...

• @matt_gh2, nice one, I'm also a big Lomo fan.

@josh_chiara, that must be one long anamorphic chained lens setup with the Lomo 37-140, enjoyed the Skeleton Hands vid. What particular Schneider-Ana did you put on the front? I use Isco Cinemascope Ultra Star's, and hate the dual focus ascpect...

• So i installed the Moon patch and tried it out, got some speed writing errors in SH 720p mode, 24H mode i didnt get any problems.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters