Personal View site logo
Make sure to join PV on Telegram or Facebook! Perfect to keep up with community on your smartphone.
Please, support PV!
It allows to keep PV going, with more focus towards AI, but keeping be one of the few truly independent places.
Cluster X: Series 1 - moon - ЅріzZ - nebula - drewnet - Slipstream
  • 1008 Replies sorted by
  • which trial of moon?

• i restarted mac and it was fine, but the card i have 16gb sdxc 95mbs is too slow i guess? i get write speed errors with the SH 720 mode.

• 95mbs card should work fine its and extreme pro i'm guessing? you're using the 720 for 60p I'm guessing?

• @WhiteRabbit Would really like to see someone use this Moon setting with Samyang/Rokinon lenses because that seems like a more natural match. I bet that would produce a nice clean clear filmic look. I prefer to use AN Boom with my Lomos...that setting was practically made for Lomos. Yields a different look. Used it for trailer you can view here http://www.personal-view.com/talks/discussion/5966/the-crazy-life-trailer-hacked-gh2-feature-film#Item_9

Anybody shooting with Moon and Rokinon/Samyang lenses?

• @matt_gh2 my moon trial 4 test video posted on previous page was with rokinon 35mm t1.5

• Oh god the card thing again!

• EDIT: These are screen grabs from QuickTime X. For some reason, the grab from the Moon video clip is smaller in size than the others. Please skim forward to my next image post; all three of those images were exported from MPEG Streamclip and may be more accurate representations of these settings.

FlowMotion202.png
    2034 x 1194 - 3M
    Intravenus.png
    2034 x 1194 - 3M
    Moon.png
    1981 x 1164 - 2M
  • so what is your conclusion? what do you like best?

• @GravitateMediaGroup I was curious how Moon holds up to banding. Take a look at the light spill on the wall. Moon beats out FlowMotion here, hands down. And I love the look. I am really impressed.

• @jclmedia I guess you will need to find a camera better for fast action. I shot a snowboarding edit a few weeks back with the gh3's 60p and it worked like a charm

• Not that I'm some sort of expert but the banding looks alot worse on Moon than FM on my screen. FM seems to drop off much nicer

• ahha um i dont think so. I mean i own a hpx170 too , if anything id use stock settings or use flowmotion 2.02 like ive been using that has over 100mbs , and ive shot skateboarding with gh2 alot with 60p its fine.

• @quickhitrecord

it's hard for me to tell i'm looking at all 3 on a 41 LCD TV and they all look close to the same but I still like moon and intra better than flow motion, and I was a long time fan of FM, but it came to a point where it felt like there was compression was masking noise and detail.

• @jclmedia....so you don't like the gh3? lol if you want true 1080/60p at 72mbs, you don't have many option. hpx170......poop i've own the 150 and the ac130, couldn't stand em

and if you are happy with FM, why are you looking for a new option? if it isn't broke don't fix it right?

• @vicharris Really? I'm surprised to hear you say that. On my screen, Moon is the clear winner. The gradation on the wall appears to be much smoother; I can barely detect any banding past the corner of the picture frame whereas on Flowmotion it's very easy to see.

• i think the main focus of moon is grade ability, not so much if it cures banding if FM appears to have less banding, it would be because it has more compression/less detail if moon appears to have more noise and artifacts, it would be because it has more detail

kinda like all-i vs ipb

• @GravitateMediaGroup The differences are much easier to see if you can preview them in quick succession. Have you downloaded them to your desktop so that you can flip between them? Different monitors will show different things, but my 27" iMac loves Moon.

• I'm confused...the one presented as Moon in the test above is a lower resolution shot, and seems darker than the other two...?! Just roll your mouse over, the file-size is different. Go desktop preview 1, 2 seem similar, the third is smaller and darker.

I am shooting an indie feature in very stuff conditions, really more like a documentary, in the jungle, and I'd been using FlowMotion up until I tried Moon. Now I'm happily using Moon 3 with extreme stability and great results, and I like it better. I hadn't thought of the hacks having a 'look' before this, but Moon does. It seems flatter and more gradable and more detailed than anything I've tried. Good stuff. I did not get quite the same results with Moon trial 4 and it sounds like I'm not the only one. I hope @driftwood will weigh in on the pros and cons of each when he gets a chance.

• @jclmedia Flowmo does NOT actually use 100mbps (measure your data rates) - nowhere near it - it might state it in bitrate but measure it and you'll see. Indeed Cluster v6 uses 6 GOP (weve been using 6 GOP for a long time for 720p) utilises more of the bitrate available and will also NOT fail in iA modes.

moon Trial 5 is about to be released that combats 720p problems but most importantly sits inbetween Trial 3 and Trial 4 for 1080p24 and uses QP16. Please get ready to test.

• @GravitateMediaGroup That may be, and I am looking forward to grading footage with this setting, but this is a happy accident for sure. It addresses and minimizes my biggest issue with this camera.

• I like the gh3, only few downsides, crop sensor, no hacks yet, pricey. I dont remember saying i Needed or wanted 1080 60p Lol.. Ive always used 720 60p on my gh2 and hpx for skate stuff. I guess ill jus go back to FM till i get the 64gb sdxc card 95mbs the card i have now is XC 95mbs i dont understand why i cant used moon hack..

• @jclmedia you are happy with 720, but concerned with crop sensor?

• Yeah, I downloaded them and am looking at them on a Mac CIne monitor. It's odd, when I look at them on the Cine monitor and then on the MBP screen, they switch! Maybe this is why I never pixel peep because I'll go crazy!!!!

• @matt_gh2, thanks for the info. I started using Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 Sharp2', thinking it would be sharper for use with Helios 44m and an Isco Cinemascope Ultra Star. Chaining that much glass, image can become softer, although perhaps other issues playing out. Not done any controlled environement tests to A/B any patches yet, and the whole anamorphic add on is a pain with dual focus requirement. I also recently purchased additional Japanese M42 50mm range taking lenses, thinking the Takumar will be the sharpest of those I acquired from eBay, so more testing also in that department coming up. I was thinking Cluster v7 'Apocalypse Now' - 6 GOP Nebula '444 Sharp2' would also be good for my set of Lomo's in OCT-19, however, I will have to compare also with AN Boom, as you suggested.

Tied up in post work at the moment, any further patch suggestions? I was thinking of trying CY Night. Also, I like Intra (yet open to non-Intra), looking for image sharpness, most of my glass is legacy Russian, and a few Japanese lenses now, perhaps these lenses are not as sharp as those produced today.

This topic is closed.
← All Discussions
Start New Topic

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google Sign In with OpenID

Sign In Register as New User

Tags in Topic

Top Posters