Personal View site logo
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • @DrDave The Samyang/Rokinon 85mm f1.4 is not as sharp as the Nikon 105mm f2.0 at the widest apertures, but for video resolution it's more than sharp enough. For portrait photography I always use the Nikon, but it's a bit long for handheld video. What's really nice about the Rokinon are its compact size and lack of focus breathing, which make it perfect for use with a shoulder mounted follow focus.

• I've been testing out my buddy's Canon EF lenses on Gh2. Very nice skintone color from 16-35mm, 24-70mm, and 70-200mm 2.8L. I had thought 24-105mm + Speed Booster might do it, but I'm not so sure after seeing such nice images from the lenses without a focal reducer. The 16-35 was parfocal, too. $600 + shipping for the adapter... I will stop thinking about it for now.

• Not sure I would take a file to my Summicron like he did....ouch. Brave dude.

• @Vitaliy_Kiselev , thank you for sharing, great images on Flickr, very sharp.

• Pixel vignetting... bummer... but I'm hopeful about using f/4.0 zooms on the adapter. But there are already m43 2.8 zooms with Power OIS.

• @cls105 We are professional money-wasters, don't worry.

Looking forward to converting my old Nikkor 35/1.4.

Lpowell, is your 85/1.4 sharp wide open? That would seem to be a good lens. I have the Nikkor 105 that's still good and would be an interesting focal length.

Great preview from dpreview, plus they finally clarified the light BS with "Because the F-number is the entrance pupil divided by focal length, reducing the focal length without changing the entrance pupil increases the F-number. So, adding the speed booster to a 50mm F1.4 lens turns it into a 35.5mm F1.0." That is the precise definition. Edit: I guess my brain is fried worse than theirs even n=f/d Thanks Balazer

d3dde849cf30fe0eed0a8cd345fbd3fa.png
    63 x 41 - 479B
  • guys dont buy this thing. i bought a Leica R to nex. as the review says, its very bloomy when you shoot close to wide open. im trying to return it. I thought this thing would be a miracle piece of gear but its just not. Adding more glass between a lens and camera just isnt a good idea. I hate wasting money, i do it a lot.

• @LPowell, I know right. Time to kick it in high gear to look for some good zoom lenses.

• @LPowell Nice assortment of glass. I literally have 3/4 of what you have plus a few more primes. Good stuff in there...good stuff.

• It's not going to be near the problem 5D guys have shooting with anamorphics but it's going to be close. The LA2700 is the only one that's currently got a chance of shooting Speed Boosted anamorphic with a real wide angle, or reasonably wide angle. Century Optics will be next. I know I'm sure going to try and see how it looks but am coming to terms with making the most of the larger format feel when I can't shoot anamorphic, and then likely use the Speed Booster on anamorphic close-ups.

35mm anamorphic lenses only have to cover 21mm (whether or not they cover more) where a Speed Boosted GH2 will be more like 26.8mm. You'd have to go back to some wicked old large format anamorphic glass most likely, designed for blimped cameras the size of a Smart Car.

• @sammy, no it won't change it. The vignette is taking place at the front of the lens. Thos adapter will effectively resize the image projected at the sensor, vignette and all.

• @sammy I'm afraid not. Your 28 with the speedbooster will vignette like a 16mm lens. You will likely need a 50mm taking lens if you're using your ISCO36.

• or maybe that 28mm turns into a 20mm like lpowel just posted without any vignetting?

• Guys, will this change anything in regards to the widest lenses we could use in an anmorphic setup, meaning on my current setup, the widest lens i could use with my isco36 is a 28mm without vignetting , with the same setup plus the Metabones, can i use wider lenses without vignetting?

• @LPowell There gotta be much larger pools of DSLR lenses than C-mount lenses, I guess.

The bottleneck is availability and price of the adapter itself.

• If Metabones delivers the MFT version as promised in March, this will become an even bigger gold rush than the C-mount cult. Check out my second post in the thread below for a list of fast video-friendly Nikon, Samyang, Sigma, and Tokina manual-focus lenses:

http://www.personal-view.com./talks/discussion/859/video-friendly-lenses-for-lumix-dslrs/p1

I have the following lenses in Nikon mount and they all work great for video:

Sigma 20mm f1.8 --> 14mm f1.3

Sigma 28mm f1.8 --> 20mm f1.3

Samyang 35mm f1.4 --> 25mm f1.0

Samyang 85mm f1.4 --> 60mm f1.0

Nikon 105mm f2.0 --> 74mm f1.4

Tokina 20-35mm f2.8 --> 14-25mm f2.0

Tokina 28-70mm f2.8 --> 20-50mm f2.0

Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 --> 50-140mm f2.0

• Patience, patience....

• Some interesting info about possible other mount problem with the SpeedBooster : http://www.metabones.com/speed-booster-questions

We will be looking into Canon FD, Minolta MD and Sony Alpha in the future. We do not have an estimated date yet. Disclaimer: this shall not be construed as a commitment to ship - we are not done prototyping any of these yet but we will conduct testing to decide if these lenses are free of interference issues with the optics of the Speed Boosters™ before we will be able to turn them into actual products.

• Sweet, can't wait for it as I am in the the market for a tokina 11-16 zoom or better.

• M4/3 was already built, and a reality, in prototype form, when they first went public. It's even going to be better, for us, than if the current optics were available at launch.

• Not yet, but Metabones announced a future m43 version of it.

• I have being out for a while, but this sounds exiting. But from my understanding, this cannot be used on our micro 4/3 camera right?