Personal View site logo
Metabones lens speed booster adapter, focal reducer
  • 873 Replies sorted by
  • cool, would be interesting to have an official word on MFT support! On the Metabone web page are only NEX and Fuji X (!) versions.

Check PDF on the first post. They have MFT info in it.

• @Kronstadt: By "a better IQ" I meant "a better image quality" since, "theoretically" by basic laws of optics, the original lens definition and aberrations (coma, astigmatism, etc) will also benefit from this x0.7 image size reduction

• This is a good news, hope the will make a Nikon to m4/3 adapter too ...

• @Paddy . Being pedantic does not signify, theoretically, a better IQ. Those who read it the way I wrote, understood what was being meant. Those who didn't, theoretically, need to have their IQ checked.

• @Kronstadt: "But at least this product gives a chance to BMC and GH3, which I did not even consider given their ridiculous crop factors."

It won't change their "ridiculous crop factors", it will just let them use FF lenses with a wider angle, faster f: stop and, theoretically, better IQ...

• @Shaveblog that's not how it works at all. A slightly more protruding m43 mount would totally screw the flange distance and ability to focus accurately and to infinity.

• Guys, you're over thinking this. The m43 focal reducer goes right on the camera, giving you a slightly more protruding m43 pie hole than before to which you mount all the cheap Chinese adapters and MF lenses you ready have. I am intrigued by this adapter but the miracle cure tone of the early blog PR gives me pause.

• @lenuisible it all depends, and it's all theoretical for now, as there isn't a mFT version yet. What's to say the mFT version won't have a stronger condenser lens?

Either way, it will give a wider field of view at the sensor.

• @kazuo as I said above, there's a tonne of glass that can be adapted from EOS. There's only FD as the only significant omission that I can think of. So you buy one mFT to EOS, and then adapt from EOS to X.

• I'm not sure I got it right, if you use a 50mm FF lens on a GH3 with this adapter, the resulting focal length should be 50x2x0.71=71mm, right ?

• The joy of using a m4/3 is that you are free to adapt glass of almost any mount, even obsolete ones. This metabones costs $599 each, how much must you spend to adapt an arsenal of lenses from different makers?

• As long as you don't mind MF, then there'll be no problem with using the mFT to EOS version (when/if it comes) and then buy an EOS > X adapter. You can still adapt a lot of glass to EOS.

• @RRRR ah, I was thinking something along the lines of IF there was such an adaptor made that would go m4/3-to-m4/3 ...but then, yes there's no point. I guess it couldn't work for those particular lenses.

So, basically this would be primarily for non-m43 lenses. But then, it would mean that you would have to choose one mount type and buy all your lenses to be of that mount type, while I have 8 lenses of 8 different mount types, each with their own adapter that never comes off. But at least this product gives a chance to BMC and GH3, which I did not even consider given their ridiculous crop factors.

• Only FF and 'some' APS-C lenses will work with mFT sensor. Essentially, the native projection coverage of the lens needs to be larger than than the sensor it is being reduced to.

• @kronstadt Voigtländer and Slr magic 12mm are designed for m43. What would you adapt them to? nikon 1?

A corrected 20mm full format lens on a m43 (gh3 / gh1 f.i) would have the same FOV as on a full format camera and be twice as bright, unless I´m mistaken. The same lens, corrected for aps-c would be half a stop brighter, roughly.

• @Alex since there is no simple electronic adapter to date for EF / MFT, yes it´s very likely it´s easier to develop for X and E mounts.

Personally, I´d be interested to try out a high quality focal reducer/adapter for contax c/y or m42 mount..

• On that page it says:

"Other mount combinations will follow shortly afterwards. Leica R, ALPA, Contarex, Contax C/Y and Nikon F (with aperture control for G lenses) will be supported, as will Micro 4/3 and Fuji X-mount cameras. Support for other mounts will be added in the future."

So, what would this mean for Voightlander and Noktor lenses?

• Voightlander 25mm F0.95 --> 18mm F0.67

• Voightlander 17.5mm F0.95 --> 12.5mm F0.67

• Noktor 12mm F1.6 --> 8.5mm F1.1

Am I correct in such calculations? And what about the fish-eye effect? will it be there?or will it be rectilinear?

hmm...but isn't $600 a bit too pricey for what it is?

• @leonbeas cool, would be interesting to have an official word on MFT support! On the Metabone web page are only NEX and Fuji X (!) versions. Does the MFT system has lost the "war" or is it just easier to develop for NEX and Fuji X?

• Autofocus function it's very limited and only works in photo mode, no video

• I'm so glad we're nowhere near April Fools Day.

• So, goodbuy Fullframe cameras ?! It's about 600$ for the Sony E-mount version, which also has AF, IS and electronic aperture support.

http://www.metabones.com/info/105-info/154-speed-booster

Sounds too good to be true !

• HUGE NEWS (even with some possible issues)

I've just mail metabones some questions on micro 4/3 version and availability, will post as soon as I have the answer.